Paint protection

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Evening all,

I have been reviewing Ceramic coating. To be honest, I am merely looking for something that can help protect the car body from tiny chips and such.

Is a ceramic coating the way to go? From reading online, ceramic coatings seems more about keeping the car looking glossy, and thus easier when washing it.

I want 'skin' protection.
Looking forward to everyone's comments and feedback.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know that they offered that too, looks like a few different areas and reasonable price as well.

Ceramic won't stop chips from happening, for that you need some sort of film like Bill mentioned or if you want it from a local installer you'd ask for a clear bra (Xpel, Scotchgard, etc), but it gets pricey.

gnatsuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Those that got the PPF, is it normal for them to only do the first 12-22" (can't remember which length they told me) on the hood? I would think the full wrap would cover the full hood, but at the one place I inquired at they do not.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You can request they cover as much as you're willing to pay for...if they aren't willing to, find another shop that is. Most chips would be in the first 5" or so of the hood though. A typical "front end protection" would be the majority of the front bumper, first 10" or so of the hood, and maybe part of the front fenders and mirror.

Sponsored

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I am in this business so I have insight for ya. the others are correct, ceramic coatings will not help you for chips and scratches for that matter, but they will "help" minimize them. With that said, coatings are amazing at what they do.

What your looking for is PPF. You really need to do your online research on this as there is a learning curve and you need to know what to look for. The BIGGEST thing you need to do is shop for the best possible shop/installer. This will be the biggest factor in the end result. Your paying a premium so you need to make sure they are taking the proper steps.

second is to make sure they are using top grade film. 3m, xpel, suntek, are the top brands give or take. Each one of those brands offers different grades of film. Settle for NOTHING but the highest offering from said company. I.E. Xpel Ultimate. These films will offer the highest clarity and finish, and self healing abilities. Request proof of the film being used from the shop as there are un trust worthy shops out there.

third thing to look for is if the shop uses pre cut templates or hand cuts the film. Save me another paragraph and search on this. It comes down to what seam lines your comfortable seeing on the car.

other things to note, you will have to have the paint corrected and prepped for the install, so be ready to discuss and pay for that as well.

A lot of shops including myself put a ceramic coating on top of the newly installed PPF, and the rest of the car being that the paint was just corrected and is in the ideal state to apply a coating. 2 bird 1 stone type of thing. You should expect a heavy discount on the coating, hell I even throw it in for free if the customer gets enough of the car done in PPF.

any questions PM me, Cheers.
-JimmyBuffit

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

TKO Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tkoperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
We sell Cleartastic DIY paint protection kits. Been around for over 20 years. We just started to make it for the real vulnerable areas of the Mustangs.

Cut for a perfect fit.
Designed so you apply it yourself and get professional results.
Outstanding protection
The film has "healing characteristics" so slight scratches and swirl marks disappear.
Crystal clear once applied.

We have it on sale for the forum members
http://cleartastic.com/15-18-Mustang-Front-of-Rear-Wheel-Rocker-Cleartastic-Paint-Protection_p_34.html :thumbsup:

Theres a few sales links here on the forum too. Heres one.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104693&highlight=cleartastic :thumbsup:

Regardless of what you go with, get something because unfortunately its not if, its when...
:cheers:

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I have checked a few threads on this, and it does look good.
And rather tempting. Albeit, this reminds me back in the day when I would put screen protectors on my smartphones. I hated it, could never get it on right, without bubbles and such. Often ended up having some youngster from Best Buy install them for me.

A shame there isn't a local shop in Atlanta to install these for me...

We sell Cleartastic DIY paint protection kits. Been around for over 20 years. We just started to make it for the real vulnerable areas of the Mustangs.

Cut for a perfect fit.
Designed so you apply it yourself and get professional results.
Outstanding protection
The film has "healing characteristics" so slight scratches and swirl marks disappear.
Crystal clear once applied.

We have it on sale for the forum members
http://cleartastic.com/15-18-Mustang-Front-of-Rear-Wheel-Rocker-Cleartastic-Paint-Protection_p_34.html :thumbsup:

Theres a few sales links here on the forum too. Heres one.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104693&highlight=cleartastic :thumbsup:

Regardless of what you go with, get something because unfortunately its not if, its when...
:cheers:

TKO Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tkoperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
I have checked a few threads on this, and it does look good.
And rather tempting. Albeit, this reminds me back in the day when I would put screen protectors on my smartphones. I hated it, could never get it on right, without bubbles and such. Often ended up having some youngster from Best Buy install them for me.

A shame there isn't a local shop in Atlanta to install these for me...
We have all been there with the phone problem...

But the film on a phone is a completely different animal.
The film is a cheap static cling or pressure sensitive film. The film and the instructions to apply it, are not really meant to aesthetically look amazing. It's a quick wet and stick process.

You don't need an installer for our kits. That's the whole idea. Our kits are made for people who never did this before. The film, the cut and the instructions allow you to get great results.

Our track record of over 20 years, thousands of kits sold and over 35 distributors (just in Corvette alone) shows that. BUT I hear ya. And if your really not that sure of yourself, no problem. :cheers:

I will say this, even if you were all thumbs, didn't follow the directions and got a tiny bubble (which our film corrects that)...it would still be better then 30, 40 permanent chips in your paint in just that one area in front of the wheel well.

Always feel free to contact us with any questions. Thanks:thumbsup:
Sponsored