Sponsored

Coyote engine oil for the track?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
[MENTION=12865]DickR[/MENTION] thanks for the info and explanation of where the sensors are. So not only do we have an oil temp gauge that is horribly lenient (138-146 Celsius is not just "warm"!), but it's also taking readings from an indirect source. Sigh.
According to the 540ratblog guy the highest oil temps are in the crank/rod bearings anyway so inferring oil temps from the CHT's may not be any worse than inferring them from a sensor in the oil pan.
Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ok, I'll bite. What would be the correct method of selecting oil, setting aside the viscosity argument?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Not more of ratfuck and his incorrect method of picking oil...please. For the love of god
I referenced him for the bearing oil temps are higher than most other locations statement. If anyone has better info on where oil temps are at or near their peaks have at it. :)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Ok, I'll bite. What would be the correct method of selecting oil, setting aside the viscosity argument?
Lots of ways but film strength shouldn't be one of them
I referenced him for the bearing oil temps are higher than most other locations statement. If anyone has better info on where oil temps are at or near their peaks have at it. :)
I know. But when people hear about him they look at his blog and treat it as the best method of picking an oil and it's just not.

Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
I can understand your frustration with the tone he takes in his blog. He's an engineer, and that's how they are. I've worked with plenty of ME's and EE's in the past and the really good ones are passionate about what they do.

There isn't any other comparative source of information out there that is published.

If someone can find another source where oil is tested in a scientific manner and publishes those results, I'm all ears.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Average CHT are 240-260 most of the time. Once I get towards 250 and the oil temp gauge is climbing to the yellow I back off for a lap.
Hella thanks for that data.
So there you go folks, 260F on track no problem. :ford:
Thats proof these motors can handle it.
You run stock coolant/water concentration for boil protection?
5w50?
Coping and bat cover?
Stock base GT radiator?

Last edited:

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
You can't go wrong with Quaker State full synthetic 5W20 for the GT PP. There is no need to bump it up to 5W30 or even higher. You will get the fantastic wear protection without thickening up the oil. You want to maintain flow within the narrow clearances and choosing a thicker oil may cause premature wear. Either way roll with QS. Their wear protection is incredible along with being a few $$ cheaper

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Ford recommends 5W50 Motorcraft for track use. Personally I think a 0W40 would be a good compromise for street and track use.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Amsoil Sig. 5w20 on the street and Amsoil Sig. 5w30 at the track. Tolerable temps and PSI right where I like it.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Read through about the first 5 pages of this and got tired of the bickering, so hopefully this hasn't been covered. There's been lots of talk about the S197 Track Pack needing 5W50 per Ford's recommendation, even the oil filler cap said so. But there's two things that I didn't see come up in this thread as far as I read it.

1./The Gen 2 Coyote in the S550 is not the Gen 1 Coyote in the S197, it is a very different animal with a lot of engineering changes. A lot of the internal changes were directed at fixing problems with the Gen 1 Coyote while some were for more power.

2./The S550 PP is essentially the same package as the S197 track pack, pretty much has the exact same equipment package except for the bigger 6 piston front brakes. Ford does not require 5W50 for the PP car that I can find anywhere, only 5W20 semi-synthetic or full synthetic. There is no mention of 5W50 anywhere in the manual, and nowhere else can I find Ford recommending 5W50 for the S550 PP.

Call me crazy, but I think that if Ford felt the Gen 2 engine in the PP needed 5W50 they would have said so, somewhere. After all they certainly did that with the S197 TP right on the oil fill cap. But it's not in the manual, it's not on the engine, it is nowhere that I can find. So I struggle to believe 5W50 would be necessary or even a good thing for typical track day driving.

Anybody find anything where Ford actually said in writing the S550 Gen 2 engine needs 5W50 for track day use? I'm not trying to stir the pot up or get any arguments going here, I plan on doing a track day shortly and just would really like to know what FORD says about this.

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
Mobil 1 5W20. Have had multiple track days where ambient temp was over 90. Never went over 55% on the factory temp indicator and never used more than a couple of ounces of oil over 2-3 days of 4K+ RPM. That is with the factory PP oil cooler.

Back in the day oil broke down @ high temps which was the reason for running a heavier oil. Mobil 1 is rated to 500 degrees. Higher viscosity creates more friction and higher temps, doesn't flow as well so less trips through the oil cooler.

So I would rather run the recomended oil and change it after the event.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/race-oil-or-regular-oil-which-does-your-mustang-need/

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Read through about the first 5 pages of this and got tired of the bickering, so hopefully this hasn't been covered. There's been lots of talk about the S197 Track Pack needing 5W50 per Ford's recommendation, even the oil filler cap said so. But there's two things that I didn't see come up in this thread as far as I read it.

1./The Gen 2 Coyote in the S550 is not the Gen 1 Coyote in the S197, it is a very different animal with a lot of engineering changes. A lot of the internal changes were directed at fixing problems with the Gen 1 Coyote while some were for more power.

2./The S550 PP is essentially the same package as the S197 track pack, pretty much has the exact same equipment package except for the bigger 6 piston front brakes. Ford does not require 5W50 for the PP car that I can find anywhere, only 5W20 semi-synthetic or full synthetic. There is no mention of 5W50 anywhere in the manual, and nowhere else can I find Ford recommending 5W50 for the S550 PP.

Call me crazy, but I think that if Ford felt the Gen 2 engine in the PP needed 5W50 they would have said so, somewhere. After all they certainly did that with the S197 TP right on the oil fill cap. But it's not in the manual, it's not on the engine, it is nowhere that I can find. So I struggle to believe 5W50 would be necessary or even a good thing for typical track day driving.

Anybody find anything where Ford actually said in writing the S550 Gen 2 engine needs 5W50 for track day use? I'm not trying to stir the pot up or get any arguments going here, I plan on doing a track day shortly and just would really like to know what FORD says about this.
Don't think about running 5W50 in a S550! You'll be doing the engine a great disservice. Even on a track day! Stick with the recommended 5W20. Unless your intent is to wear down the engine quickly. I would imagine running 0W20 would be fine too, especially in the winter. I just wouldn't use 0W20 on a track day...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I would imagine running 0W20 would be fine too, especially in the winter. I just wouldn't use 0W20 on a track day... __________________
Why not? 0w20 and 5w20 are essentially the same viscosity at operating temp (hence the 20) just that one is thinner than the other when cold.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Why not? 0w20 and 5w20 are essentially the same viscosity at operating temp (hence the 20) just that one is thinner than the other when cold.
Nope. Specs are available on mfg sites to see this.
5w20 more viscous vs 0w20 at 100C.
Think of second number as the "target" that is harder to hit depending on the first number.
Sponsored