Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
There is an easier way. Just don't install the unofficial releases you read about in this thread. :lol: Then your owner.ford.com site will check your car over WiFi and notify you that there is a new, official, release.

If you want the sub-version releases in-between the official ones, then you may have to do some editing as discussed. If the WiFi also checked for sub-versions, then it would probably work automatically too.

What bugs me is that we have so much trouble getting the "confirmation" file to upload to the Ford site. Without that, it never announces even when a new official release is available. :confused: Instead, it thinks you are already a version behind.
Sponsored

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Why can't there just be an easier way. Like going to the ford website , downloading the file, then install in car. I am not a computer person so I don't really understand the stuff I have to do to get this to work.

Is there a way for someone to email the files to me the way they need to be?

My circumstances are a little different so I don't know if my experience will help you at all. Just FYI - What you're asking is how it's supposed to work as far as I know. On my 2018, which came with version 3.0.17276, I forced the system to check for updates via wifi. It kept failing after finding an update for me but I suspect that my wifi signal wasn't strong enough to keep it going. I decided to try installing 18025 manually. I did encounter some problems but I didn't need to modify any files to get it to work. I had a 32GB thumbdrive that was formatted in FAT32. That was large/fast enough to work. However, I was using the illuminated USB port in the center console. For whatever reason, it just kept failing with the message you had. I decided to try again using the USB port under the center stack (the one under the hazard button) and it worked! I don't recall my reasoning for thinking that might work but I work in IT and I've seen stupid shit work for seemingly no reason at all many times. Also, you do want to make sure the car is running for the manual update via USB. I went for a short drive and it took much less time than my 2013 Escape did when I updated SYNC 2.0.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think my '18 came with v3.0.17276 (even though it seems to be a May build car). I'm not very techy when it comes to Android or iPhone stuff...in fact I didn't even own a smart phone until about 2 years ago, when my old "dumb" phone finally kicked it.

Anyway, I don't use Waze or Android Auto or anything like that--is there any real benefit to me futzing around with this to get the latest version installed? I haven't noticed any showstopping problems with how it's running now, and (knock wood) it's never crashed, reset, or locked up on me.

(I sure wouldn't mind if Ford would tweak the audio interface or options to (a) give you control over the center speaker level, and/or (b) sprinkle some magic pixie dust on programming or logic for the sound system, to improve sound quality. I normally don't like audio gimmicks but I feel like it would benefit from a "bass boost" button and maybe something to expand the sound field more.)

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think my '18 came with v3.0.17276 (even though it seems to be a May build car). I'm not very techy when it comes to Android or iPhone stuff...in fact I didn't even own a smart phone until about 2 years ago, when my old "dumb" phone finally kicked it.

Anyway, I don't use Waze or Android Auto or anything like that--is there any real benefit to me futzing around with this to get the latest version installed? I haven't noticed any showstopping problems with how it's running now, and (knock wood) it's never crashed, reset, or locked up on me.

(I sure wouldn't mind if Ford would tweak the audio interface or options to (a) give you control over the center speaker level, and/or (b) sprinkle some magic pixie dust on programming or logic for the sound system, to improve sound quality. I normally don't like audio gimmicks but I feel like it would benefit from a "bass boost" button and maybe something to expand the sound field more.)

I specifically updated SYNC3 because Waze was not working properly. If you have no plans of utilizing Android Auto or Apple Carplay and everything is working fine... I'd leave it alone. With respect to your sound stage, I don't think anything less than black magic would make it sound better without physically replacing the embarrassingly low quality speakers.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The car sits in my garage. I have the wifi on and it's detected my home wifi. Won't it automatically update the software? Does the car need to be running for the update via wifi to start? Is there a way to search for update on the radio? I think I need to update software from version 1 to version 2.2 first. Does ford do this update for free. I have an appointment on Friday this week for them to fix something. Car only have 10 k miles.
The dealer can probably do it for you on friday, but for now we can check if you did the steps properly. Can you send a screenshot of the file directory on your usb drive? This is for the official version you got from owner.ford.com.

If you have three files "SyncMyRide" "autoinstall.lst" "DONTINDX.MSA" and SyncMyRide has files with long names inside if then you're good. If this is the case and you got the error you posted earlier, try this quick fix.
Right click autoinstall.lst and edit it with notepad or whatever you use. Delete everything inside and paste this into there and save and try plugging in the usb to install into your mustang.
Code:
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G381-AL
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AL.tar.gz
 Options = AutoInstall,Delay,Include
The reason for why we're doing this, as I pmed to explain to you earlier, is to bypass the excess files(mainly gracenotes and voice files) and only install the OS which is the only thing important for the user interface/carplay/android auto/bugs etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

pontiac69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Edition
I just had my car to ford to have something fixed under warranty. While there I asked them to update the software. They said it would take 90 min. I was there for 3 hrs and they couldn't get it to work. They have no idea why. It kept saying the same thing it was saying for me. Says the installation has run out of space. He could not figure it out. They said they have a call into Ford to see what they say.

FREEDOM I will attach a pic of a screen shot of what is on my USB drive.

Edit: I went ahead and edited the USB drive to have what you mentioned above. I will attach a pic of my new screen shot. I inserted and it started updating. About 3-5 min later it said update complete. I shut the car off and restarted. It still says version 1 and the apple car play does not work.
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1085.JPG

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Edit: I went ahead and edited the USB drive to have what you mentioned above. I will attach a pic of my new screen shot. I inserted and it started updating. About 3-5 min later it said update complete. I shut the car off and restarted. It still says version 1 and the apple car play does not work.
Its normal to show the old version the next time you turn the car on. See what it says now.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
I just had my car to ford to have something fixed under warranty. While there I asked them to update the software. They said it would take 90 min. I was there for 3 hrs and they couldn't get it to work. They have no idea why. It kept saying the same thing it was saying for me. Says the installation has run out of space. He could not figure it out. They said they have a call into Ford to see what they say.

FREEDOM I will attach a pic of a screen shot of what is on my USB drive.

Are you trying to go to latest release 2.2 or 3.0?

You may need to get to 2.2 first.

If all that has been tried, have you done a master reset and then tried the update?

pontiac69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Edition
Are you trying to go to latest release 2.2 or 3.0?

You may need to get to 2.2 first.

If all that has been tried, have you done a master reset and then tried the update?
The attempt was version 3. Can’t find version 2.2.

HoosierDaddy I just checked and you are right sir. It is working right now. It must take a little bit to register or show up. But I just checked and the apple car play is working.

Last edited:

SUPR_VILN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Prem
Did the install today, when I installed the new hub it said this usb hub is not supported, but I went ahead without anyway and turned off bluetooth, didnt do a master reset. Everything came out fine, used fords owner version. Thank you guys for the help.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The attempt was version 3. Can’t find version 2.2.

HoosierDaddy I just checked and you are right sir. It is working right now. I must take a little bit to register or show up. But I just checked and the apple car play is working.
Glad you got it working, enjoy.

Deleted member 35786

I am trying to update mine from 2.0 to 3.0 but the damn Ford website says "Service is temporarily unavailable, please check back later." So I cannot download any updates at this time.

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I am trying to update mine from 2.0 to 3.0 but the damn Ford website says "Service is temporarily unavailable, please check back later." So I cannot download any updates at this time.
Yep. Ford found a bug in the 3.0 release and has withdrawn it from availability. Even dealers can’t presently install it, making 2.3 the official “current” version until Ford makes a newer version available upon completion of its big hunt.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Yep. Ford found a bug in the 3.0 release and has withdrawn it from availability. Even dealers can’t presently install it, making 2.3 the official “current” version until Ford makes a newer version available upon completion of its big hunt.
Any idea what the bug is?
Maybe Android Auto just dropping out once in a while?

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I just downloaded the Official v3.0 18025 version from the ford owner web site.
Sponsored