Sponsored

A10 Park to Drive Squat

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I have had my '18 with the A10 transmission for a little over 2 months and 2k miles. One thing I have noticed is that when switching from Park to Drive the back of the car will 'squat' down.

The 'squat' is only occurring at the back of the car, the front is fine. When the 'squat' occurs the back of the car will go down and sometimes there a good amount of bounce when it does the squat. I only have my foot on the brake.

I have noticed that as the car has more miles on it the amount of 'squatting' down has increased. Is this normal for others or is there something possibly loose on the back end? I know there is supposed to be some play in the rear for the IRS and NVH reduction so not sure if it is normal.

Tx
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's how automatic rwd cars with torque converters act, especially more "performance" oriented ones. It's the torque converter getting loaded.

And yes, the looseness of the drivetrain and/or rear end does play a factor in how noticeable it is.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
It's how automatic rwd cars with torque converters act, especially more "performance" oriented ones. It's the torque converter getting loaded.

And yes, the looseness of the drivetrain and/or rear end does play a factor in how noticeable it is.
This...
Your foot is on the brake, you put it in gear and torque is transferred to the rear. Since the wheel can’t move, that torque is loading the rear suspension in the form of the squat you are experiencing.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's loading the rear suspension through the brakes, which are mounted on the uprights/hub carriers. The Side View Instant Center (sometimes shortened down to "IC") is involved. Basically the torque you're applying against the brakes is pulling the rear down through the rear suspension's side view geometry.

What happens when you go to 'D' from 'N' instead of from 'P', and do you still have to have your foot on the brake pedal to go from 'N'?

Norm

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
This is normal for automatics with a v8 if you let the idle come down before you put it in drive when its cold started it will make it less noticable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has been a while since I have had a Mustang, I guess it is more prevalent with them. As some said it may be how loose the read end of the Mustang is compared to other cars. The squat has increased with more mileage but that may be the suspension of the Mustang breaking in??

Haven't had the same kind of squat from any of our past/current RWD performance cars (Corvette & BMW).

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
It's more noticeable in cars with independent rear suspension. All of my Corvette's did/does the squat. We just got the wife's Mustang home today, didn't notice it squat, but I may just be used to it after driving plastics cars for so long.

OP
OP

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 'squat' has become even worse now to the point that it will jar you with the initial violent squat and then bounce 4 to 6 times after the initial squat. If you are looking at the car from outside it looks like I am running an air suspension and purposefully doing it.

Unfortunately it looks like I will be bringing it in for the dealer to take a look.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
The 'squat' has become even worse now to the point that it will jar you with the initial violent squat and then bounce 4 to 6 times after the initial squat. If you are looking at the car from outside it looks like I am running an air suspension and purposefully doing it.

Unfortunately it looks like I will be bringing it in for the dealer to take a look.
Since yours seems to be such an extreme, I would bring it in to the dealer as well. That is not normal at all.

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
:doh: :crazy: :headbonk: :frusty: :tsk:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

That might be a cool youtube video. Just saying.... :ninja: :lol:

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Tell the dealers "you've got squatters rights" before he fixes anything.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Is this first RWD automatic you ever owned?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

The ONLY way I can imagine that happening is if both rear shocks are almost completely dead. Or broken free at one end or the other. Look under there yourself before bringing it in.

Norm
Sponsored