Sponsored

Pypes catless long tubes and borla cat back

mxdave91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt premium w/PP
I installed a set of Pypes catless long tubes over the winter, and finished them off with Borla's 2.5" touring system (not ford racing). It sounds really good tone wise, but it needs to be a hair louder for my liking. I then found a used x pipe from a 2.5" Borla s-type system and replaced the touring resonator with the x-pipe. Its just a hair too loud now, and there is a rasp/crackle in the mid range that doesn't sound good at all. I called Borla and they told me that I need the 3" S-type system, because the 2.5" system is really just designed for stock manifolds and cats. I guess the 3" system also has a different muffler design that eliminates the mid range rasp/crackle that you get with 2.5" system when paired with headers. My question is, I didn't have the rasp/crackle with the 2.5" touring system when I had the resonator on, so should I just try to make the that system a hair louder by finding a shorter resonator, or should I take the plunge and just get the 3" s-type system?
Sponsored

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Lots of people recommend the magnaflow resonator I believe it's called. Or tru x or something

Several threads on it

No direct experience myself with it

OP
OP

mxdave91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt premium w/PP
Never heard of it. I'll check it out though, thanks.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
First of all, the random rep you got at Borla was probably reading off a product sheet. 2.5" is plenty of flow. I've seen an auto car with headers and the STOCK exhaust get an 11.98 1/4 mile time. Apparently the stock exhaust is super duper restrictive, right? He was tuning his car at the drag strip himself. I asked him. He said it's fine. I don't know what else he had done to the car but... he had SW headers.

Anywho... the Magnaflow suggestion is good. I like the sound of headers with the Solo Performance Mach XV. It's loud but relatively refined. I'm sure spending $1,200 on a new 3" catback from Borla is what they want, but it's likely not an exact solution.

OP
OP

mxdave91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt premium w/PP
I can't find the dementions of the magnaflow resonator. If it's not a decent amount shorter than the resonator that I have on the borla touring system, than I'm not even going to buy it because it won't net me much difference in sound if it's the same length.
Sponsored