Audio setup?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I own an old Jeep XJ and am in the process of redoing the headliner and sound bar. Should I wire my speakers to the head unit or to a 5 channel amp with a sub? I don't need anything too hardcore, just something that sounds balanced.

Any opinions?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Whats the approximate RMS wattage on the speakers?

I used to install sound systems for a living, even for mild setups I would almost always recommend using an amp over the head unit. Most head units put out less than 20W per channel. If you're powering factory speakers that's fine, but most aftermarket speakers are rated for 60-120W.

Only giving them 15-20 will usually result in the system not getting loud enough. To compensate people turn up the EQ and various other "loudness" settings, which ends up overdriving the tiny head unit amp and clipping the signal. Which can damage components and usually just sounds like shit.

If you don't listen to music loud, head unit will be fine. But otherwise I recommend doing the amp while your at it. Even a basic amp will put out way more clean power than a head unit can.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Whats the approximate RMS wattage on the speakers?

I used to install sound systems for a living, even for mild setups I would almost always recommend using an amp over the head unit. Most head units put out less than 20W per channel. If you're powering factory speakers that's fine, but most aftermarket speakers are rated for 60-120W.

Only giving them 15-20 will usually result in the system not getting loud enough. To compensate people turn up the EQ and various other "loudness" settings, which ends up overdriving the tiny head unit amp and clipping the signal. Which can damage components and usually just sounds like shit.

If you don't listen to music loud, head unit will be fine. But otherwise I recommend doing the amp while your at it. Even a basic amp will put out way more clean power than a head unit can.
I like music loud occasionally. But I do always like it clean. I know an amp setup would be better for a clean setup instead of distortion with a head unit. The speakers I'm putting in are 40rms a piece. There will be only 4 speakers in this setup.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I like music loud occasionally. But I do always like it clean. I know an amp setup would be better for a clean setup instead of distortion with a head unit. The speakers I'm putting in are 40rms a piece. There will be only 4 speakers in this setup.
You should be able to find a 50W x 4 channel amp for under $150 easily. Personally, being a big fan of Rockford amps, I'd recommend the Rockford Fosgate R250x4 or R300x4, both are 40-50W per channel and are just a little over $100 bucks.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

You should be able to find a 50W x 4 channel amp for under $150 easily. Personally, being a big fan of Rockford amps, I'd recommend the Rockford Fosgate R250x4 or R300x4, both are 40-50W per channel and are just a little over $100 bucks.
Thanks for the recommendations! :headbang:
Sponsored