Sponsored

Can you buy a new car and not "title" it right away?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Can you buy a car with say...cash... and just take it? First registered owner at a later date?
Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
State laws differ to some degree but, no is the short answer. Either titled to a lien holder, or owner at purchase. You could transfer title latter for a fee if needed.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I assume you mean from a private party. In CA you have 10 days from the bill of sale/title transfer date to title it before getting penalized.

If the seller is smart, he'll have a DMV bill of sale printed out and mail in the new owner information with your signature immediately after the transaction.
That way the DMV has the information.

In summary, If I paid for a car in cash privately, I'd register it sooner than later.
At a dealership of course this is moot, as you fill out the DMV forms with them and they submit them.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I mean, new - from a dealer. Every once in a while, I run across a car for sale that's a few years old but says "never titled" and seems to be from a private owner. How do they pull that off?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I mean, new - from a dealer. Every once in a while, I run across a car for sale that's a few years old but says "never titled" and seems to be from a private owner. How do they pull that off?
It depends upon if you know the dealer ;)

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
When I got mine from a very small dealer in MN, they just gave me the MSO to do whatever I want with it once the funds cleared. No fees, no other paperwork other than the PO. I do not know if GA requires you to title it right away - I did because I wanted to drive it :)

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Well a dealer demo has miles but will be new because it’s never titled until sold to a customer.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I assume you mean from a private party. In CA you have 10 days from the bill of sale/title transfer date to title it before getting penalized.

If the seller is smart, he'll have a DMV bill of sale printed out and mail in the new owner information with your signature immediately after the transaction.
That way the DMV has the information.

In summary, If I paid for a car in cash privately, I'd register it sooner than later.
At a dealership of course this is moot, as you fill out the DMV forms with them and they submit them.
I bought mine out of state with cash, I got the MSO instead of a title. I'm guessing I theoretically could have parked it and never registered it ?

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
I bought mine out of state with cash, I got the MSO instead of a title. I'm guessing I theoretically could have parked it and never registered it ?
Yes. Some states however will not give the MSO to a private customer. However when I got my LB 17R from MI they sent me the MSO directly. I could of done the same, but I don't have the money to justify it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Every once in a while, I run across a car for sale that's a few years old but says "never titled" and seems to be from a private owner.
Seems is a key word there, it probably isn't. That sounds like a demo car or one used by the GM for personal use while still being "new and untitled".
Sponsored