Sponsored

2017 California Special Wheels

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
The Parts Farm in GA has a lot of nice salvage parts for S550s...thanks for the reminder.
CMEGTCS provided a great example for us.
I couldn't find any locally so I hope they arrive nicely.
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I can stick 3 fingers between the tire and anything inside, that's about 2.5", so w/o any spacers there should be about 1/2" of clearance with a 10.5" wide wheel.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Well they arrived in great shape. 2 are near perfect and 2 have very minor issues for 4k miles, so I took one of the latter and replaced my too small spare tire and repair kit with it. Just need to extend the stud a few inches to use the stock hold down.
Next is to dismount 2 tires, sell them, and determine where to get the wheels widened...there is a 3rd possibility I am entertaining.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
glad they came in good shape. Are you thinking 10.5 wide with a 305, and what is your 3rd thought you are entertaining? If you dont mind saying...

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Yeah, I've decided I can live with 305 which are summer tires.
I think I am working with Team III wheels on some measurements but haven't heard back.
I feel some much better with a full size spare now...and my trunk volume isn't that much smaller now.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Anybody got wheel packing tips? They will come back as 19x10.5 but go out as 19x8.5 and I have to provide a box or boxes to accommodate both and survive both ways.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I ride dirt bikes and we use some "out of the box" ideas to ship motorcycle parts. For example, shipping forks out for rebuild, we use a gun or rifle case. For engines, we use a cooler to place the engine in to ship. I dont think you could use a cooler to ship a wheel as they are too large, but putting these ideas in your mind that you may have to come up with something special, if no one else pipes up. I also get a lot of parts shipped to me at my work, and I know for a fact if two aluminum pieces are shipped together and they arent packed carefully, they will bang together and damage each other. I think you will have to box them separately. I have seen on this forum, on the wheels for sale by owner, some wheels in wheel boxes with some type of foam or something like that on the rim edge. What about going to a local tire/wheel shop and seeing if they have any old wheel shipping boxes you could have for free?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I went to 2 places nearby and it is hit and miss. They throw out the boxes as soon as they mount the wheels. I went 'dumpster diving' at one and of course the only ones I found were the wrong size. Not sure I want to make a daily job of pestering them...
They do get 2 wheels in one box, but each wheel has it's own box also, so they are double boxed. Not sure if that costs less to ship though.
Keep the ideas coming guys.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Totes might be doable, I'll take some measurements and check them out.
Did you ever get your 20's?

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
not yet. I called him on Wed and asked him if he got his new set yet. He did. 3 of the wheels were damaged in shipping. He was pissed. So now he is waiting for the new ones to arrive. That was my fear of buying something and having them shipped and damaged. I've seen what some of those shipping guys can do to things. My buddy bought a tranny for his RX7 V8 project and his tranny came in broken pieces from FedX and they denied it. Hopefully for his and my sake, they dont come damaged also. Also for the shipping, what about stacking 2 in a garbage can with packing, and cutting the garbage can down to the right height and reattaching the lid (or a lid) somehow? Or buying round tubs of some kind? How about the wheel widening guys, did they have any good ideas for you? Oh and sorry, I hate to tell you these stories, as I hope it doesnt happen to you. Pack them carefully!

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
The 32 gal trash cans aren't big enough around on the bottom half, but good idea, maybe I can find a larger one. I'm contacting the 'wideners' now, but no luck so far.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I thought about those tubs with rope handles, but the few I checked were 16 x 22 x 22, and it looks like the 16 is the diameter of the tub at the bottom. Bummer. Hey what about a plastic 55 gallon drum with a section cut out to make it shorter?