Sponsored

2018 GT ticking intermittently

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
Unfortunately, my previous thoughts that this ticking was normal were false. I spent a good deal of time with a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the ticking and thought I found it several times. For the life of me I could not isolate where it was coming from and I checked damn near everywhere. It almost sounds like a tiny nut laying in the oil pan getting thrown about. This tick is somewhat random and only occurs a bit at idle and speeds up at around 2200~ rpm. I checked out another 2018 gt at the dealer to replicate the sound but it wasn't there. My motor was an October build, and its made the noise to an extent since it was brand new with 3 miles. It now has 7300 and been through 3 oil changes with motorcraft 5-20 and im absolutely thrilled to have to take this to the dealer and go through the brutal process of potentially getting a new long block. :frusty: From what I've seen I am definitely not the first this has happened to IF worst comes to worst. I just hope its a smooth process and Ford doesn't try to fight me along the way if things take a turn for the worst:shrug:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP 10SPD GT (Osiris)
Mine has that same exact noise just not as frequent like you said. It bugs the hell out of me. I have 3k miles and my build date is January. I'd like to know what Ford says

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
Mine has that same exact noise just not as frequent like you said. It bugs the hell out of me. I have 3k miles and my build date is January. I'd like to know what Ford says
likewise, i was planning on getting a whipple but I cant in good conscience with this sound and not knowing what it is.

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
this may be unrelated but im nearing the end of an oil change cycle ~3000 miles and the ticking has greatly reduced in sound and frequency, I couldnt even reproduce it this morning.

Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
this may be unrelated but im nearing the end of an oil change cycle ~3000 miles and the ticking has greatly reduced in sound and frequency, I couldnt even reproduce it this morning.

Hi Storm, I have the same noise when i start the car in the morning. it goes away after some time . but is is just annoying. I dont think that it is the engine because the motor is runnung great and quite smooth. it is comming from the transmission area. did you located the reason and the source of the noise?

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
Hi Storm, I have the same noise when i start the car in the morning. it goes away after some time . but is is just annoying. I dont think that it is the engine because the motor is runnung great and quite smooth. it is comming from the transmission area. did you located the reason and the source of the noise?
no, i tried to locate it with a stethoscope but could not find it

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
no, i tried to locate it with a stethoscope but could not find it

i think that it is not from the engine and not from the tranny. in this case it would be all the time and it would rev with the RPM of the engine. I guess it could be from some part like the exhaust. some part meight be not very tight and swinging a little ... sorry for my english. it really sounds like metal knocking on metal while swinging . i basically dont know anything. just guessing around and liking the thought that our engines are ok.

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
i think that it is not from the engine and not from the tranny. in this case it would be all the time and it would rev with the RPM of the engine. I guess it could be from some part like the exhaust. some part meight be not very tight and swinging a little ... sorry for my english. it really sounds like metal knocking on metal while swinging . i basically dont know anything. just guessing around and liking the thought that our engines are ok.
It sounds valvetrain related almost and it goes away after 3000rpm but you can only hear it outside the car and next to a wall. I unplugged individual coil packs to see if the sound would stop but it didnt. Ive accepted it at this point because the car is performing perfectly, I feel like the dealer wont do anything with it if its just a sound.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I would think if it were in the engine that it would be more rhythmic, that's a little up and down in tempo to be a rotating mass I think.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
unplugged the coils one by one today and could not recreate the sound with #2 coil unplugged. This is the coilpack that looks different and has a wire due to being right near the hpfp. leads me to believe its a bottom end issue. Probably will take it in this week. :(

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
That tick is coming from your driver side cam phaser.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Here is mine if you want to show the dealer what a normal idle sounds like.

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
dropped it off today followed by calling ford customer service to get a case going and hopefully expedite the process. Service sent it straight to heavy line based on the info I gave them. Well see:headbonk:

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I've read ths in a few posts. What does ths mean? Is this a VVT issue?

At part throttle, the VVT action of the cam phaser(s) is very active. The tick noise on my '18 is coming from the driver's side cam phaser area.

A recent data log I did below shows the slow, part throttle rise in rpm (blue line). The light green line is my intake cam timing. Notice the green line stays basically unchanged until around 2100 rpm. Then the cam phaser does it's job and changes the intake timing. At this point, my tick goes away. The noise is in direct correlation with the timing events. Not wrist pins, piston slap, HPFP, etc. Now what is the cam phaser doing that's causing it? I dunno, but it runs great so not going to worry about it.
timimg.PNG
Sponsored