Is the GT350 a cobra?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If someone was lucky enough to get their hands on one of the 36 Competition R models back in 1965 the list price from SA was $5,950.

If you couldn't get your hands or could not afford one of the competition cars you could try to secure one of the 8 GT350 Drag cars ('65/'66) for $5,441 plus $200 for an AFX lift kit and $90 for a .450 lift cam.

The '65 GT350 Drag cars came with a 5.13 ring and pinion but was reduced the follow year in '66 to only a 4.86 rear end ratio!:eyebulge:

I believe these cars held the AHRA record for the B-Production class!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yep, I know. Recently I met someone with an original that has been with the family since purchased. I offered to trade both my '17 R models for it and without batting an eye, he said NO! :D

picture.jpg
Sponsored

Norton961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yep, I know. Recently I met someone with an original that has been with the family since purchased. I offered to trade both my '17 R models for it and without batting an eye, he said NO! :D

picture.jpg
I’ll take both the shelby gt350 and the triumph bonnieville.

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
If you guys want to get real crazy don't forget the top performance model of the 79 to 81 Mustangs was called Cobra. And, in the latter 80's up here in Canada Mustang GT's had a sticker on the rear hatch that said Cobra. Most folks speculate the name was added to keep the copyright.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I’m gonna settle this once and for all.
Ford has cool car and chassis names.
GM DOES NOT!
I’ll never understand GM’s codes and names.
Zl1, 1LE, Z06, LT1, LS1-2-3-4 etc.
ZR1, LT, LS, Z28, SS etc.
to many damn Z’s, L’s and numbers. Stupid.
It goes from the cars to the trucks. Nobody can keep track of them all.

Everyone knows what a F150 FX2 or FX4 is or a Mustang GT or GT350/500 or Mach1.
You tell someone you have a camaro zl1 1le with a LT4 they’ll look at you like wtf.
Stupid sub models GM!
The only GM unique cool name I know of is the COPO cars. I am not a GM guy at all so there maybe many others, but that's the only one that comes to my mind.

Yenko does not count because it was a dealership that did those, not GM.

I agree with you on the naming of Ford cars. Much better marketing. Even none car people know Shelby, Cobra, Boss, and Mach 1.

Dodge and Plymouth had some cool names also. Roadrunner, Super Bee, Baracuda, etc.

Sponsored

Norton961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The only GM unique cool name I know of is the COPO cars. I am not a GM guy at all so there maybe many others, but that's the only one that comes to my mind.

Yenko does not count because it was a dealership that did those, not GM.

I agree with you on the naming of Ford cars. Much better marketing. Even none car people know Shelby, Cobra, Boss, and Mach 1.

Dodge and Plymouth had some cool names also. Roadrunner, Super Bee, Baracuda, etc.
Another good GM name to add to your copo name is sting ray. The rest, all gibberish. I never owned and never will own a GM or dodge for that matter. But I agree even dodge had better names.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So here’s something on a similar topic. How do you respond when asked what kind of car you drive, when not necessarily around car people? Shelby, GT350, mustang, depends?

I have discovered that I feel awkward and unable to feel humble when the subject comes up because most people at least have an idea what this is. The words Shelby or GT350 usually garner the same response...”oooohhhhhh...aaahhhhhh...bla bla bla”. Sometimes I’ve just passively responded “Mustang” just to avoid the awkwardness.

wltrmtty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
So here’s something on a similar topic. How do you respond when asked what kind of car you drive, when not necessarily around car people? Shelby, GT350, mustang, depends?

I have discovered that I feel awkward and unable to feel humble when the subject comes up because most people at least have an idea what this is. The words Shelby or GT350 usually garner the same response...”oooohhhhhh...aaahhhhhh...bla bla bla”. Sometimes I’ve just passively responded “Mustang” just to avoid the awkwardness.
Hopefully, they know it's a Mustang. If they don't know a Mustang from a Camaro, I say, "Mustang." If they want to know what kind of Mustang it is, I say, "GT350."

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I had Cobras. Cobra commander, Tank, planes and automobiles. Really collectable now. Oh you meant the cars! Shouldn't Cobra be part of the name if one is to call it a Cobra? Yes. Yes. Yes it should.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Not a Cobra, the "snake" badging is used exclusively to identify it as a Shelby. Cobra is not anywhere in the name. Model of Mustang is Shelby GT350/500

Most Mustang owners know this and should know the difference
Sponsored