Sponsored

Tech Pack Lawsuit

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I don't recall a BOSS 302 lawsuit. I do recall alot of marketing and hype for a factory race car that certainly needed alot of prep for track use

from the manual:
TRACK PREPARATION
The Boss 302 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition have been rigorously
proven out on race tracks. Below are recommendations for optimizing
your Boss 302 for a track day event.
• For optimal performance, premium fuel is recommended.
• Change brake fluid to Super DOT 4 to improve track performance of
braking system (WSS-M6C65-A2), Ford part number (YS4Z-19542-
AA).
• Install Ford Racing front brake cooling kit (M-2004-MB) to improve
brake cooling (standard on Laguna Seca edition).
• Remove rear brake dust shields to improve brake cooling.
• Install Ford Racing transmission cooling scoop (M-5025-MBR) to
improve transmission cooling (standard on Laguna Seca edition).
• During extended track sessions in extreme temperatures or
conditions, your Boss 302 may require additional engine cooling
actions. If the water temperature warning light illuminates, return to
the paddock and let the vehicle return to normal operating
temperature while idling before turning the engine off. Prior to the
next session, remove the round fog light delete covers from the upper
grille. This wi ll allow more cooling air to the radiator and allow the
car to run extended sessions in extreme heat. Visit fordracing.com for
additional parts to further enhance the powertrain cooling on your
Boss 302.
• For extended track use, Ford recommends installing a rear differential
cooler to improve rear axle cooling.
• The Ford Racing front splitter kit (M-16601P-MBA, standard on
Laguna Seca edition) can be installed to improve high-speed vehicle
stability and handling. If the Ford Racing front splitter kit will be
installed on a Boss 302 without the Laguna Seca package, Ford
recommends installing the Laguna Seca edition rear spoiler in place
of the standard rear spoiler to maintain aerodynamic balance. The
unique lower grille from the Laguna Seca edition should also be
installed to accommodate the splitter support rods. This front splitter
is intended for race track use only and is not legal for on-street
driving. It may degrade crash performance and void the vehicle
warranty. The front splitter must be installed by the customer.
Track Use Preparation
• For track sessions, it is recommended to run 41 psi (283 kPa) hot for
the original equipment manufacturer tires, front and rear.
• Depending on track temperature, ambient temperature and driving
style, you may need to reduce the starting tire pressure by as
much as 4 psi (27 kPa).
• The starting pressure may be lower in the rear tires relative to the
front tires to achieve 41 psi (283 kPa) hot.
• Reset tire pressures to placard recommended pressures before
leaving the track.
• For improved track performance, Ford recommends ,
available through Ford Racing. See your local Ford dealer or go to
http://www.trackey.ford.com for more information (M-14204-MBTKA).
• Your Boss 302 is equipped from the factory with Brembo 4-piston
front calipers and unique, high-performance rear brake pads that will
provide excellent performance under normal driving conditions. Ford
recommends the following bedding procedure for race track driving be
followed.
So good it needs bringing it up again.
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Again, you are missing the point. Completely.

Again - the manual response was with respect to your comment. In essence, the manual is clear. Don't have coolers but want to track the vehicle? Add them. Period.

And as I stated numerous time now - the manual is often used as a reference to negate coverage. This has everything to do with a warranty concern. See the connection?

Exactly what many here are thinking.
I'm honestly at a loss as to where I missed any of your points? Where have I disputed any of this? You brought up other vehicles that were never meant to be tracked and are now trying to backup that tangent with this argument? If so then you are right, I am not getting it.

Those that are thinking like you are chose to get involved in a discussion that never had anything to do with you. So how could you be thinking the same thing? :shrug:

Edit: Again the manual for the tech pack 350s went beyond just covering their asses about warranties.

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
Just as a side observation/question on this hot topic ....

Weren't all GT350 owners, including those who purchased the tech versions, invited to track their cars by Ford in the "Track Attack" in Utah? If the tech cars couldn't/shouldn't be tracked because of the coolers issue, why would Ford invite those owners to spend a day or two tracking the car?

I read through the very long separate thread on this topic, and didn't see that raised as an issue.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000

Weren't all GT350 owners, including those who purchased the tech versions, invited to track their cars by Ford in the "Track Attack" in Utah? If the tech cars couldn't/shouldn't be tracked because of the coolers issue, why would Ford invite those owners to spend a day or two tracking the car?

I read through the very long separate thread on this topic, and didn't see that raised as an issue.
My guess is that they know there is a certain percentage of buyers that were interested in the car for reasons other than its track capability, no desire to accept the invitation, and have no desire to use the car in a manner requiring the track pack. This is probably one of the reasons it was an option initially. Customers could say "why should I spend $6500 for the coolers if I'm never going to use them?" If I remember correctly, the Boss Track Attack Program had a roughly 15-20% attendance rate.

Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech

We were invited by ford to use their track pack cars with roll bar and four point harness not our own cars. I beat on mine like a red headed stepchild and couldnt make it overheat or lose grip in the corners ( well only once...). Really have to do this to realize how good this car is!!

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
We were invited by ford to use their track pack cars with roll bar and four point harness not our own cars. I beat on mine like a red headed stepchild and couldnt make it overheat or lose grip in the corners ( well only once...). Really have to do this to realize how good this car is!!
Using the GT350 was only on Day 1. After that it was a regular GT or some broken down old BOSS

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Interesting thought [MENTION=19711]swish77[/MENTION]...

Attending the Track Attack definitively proved to me how stupid Ford was to offer any version of the GT350 without the trans and diff coolers.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Because they'd get more flak for excluding specific owners than they're getting for the cooler fiasco - guarantee it. Not much is more volatile in the public eye these days than exclusivity.

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase

You bring up a good point about offering the school to all people who purchased the car.

I think they did it because under favorable conditions (i.e. not a hot day & a short track w/no elevation change) you can and should track a tech/base(16). Could you get all the way to the end a of 20min session? Maybe, maybe not but hopefully you'd get enough track time/fun to come back.

If tech owners could get say 10 minutes on track, would that be acceptable?

Also, have any tech owners tried different tranny fluid/viscosity? Did it help?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Because they'd get more flak for excluding specific owners than they're getting for the cooler fiasco - guarantee it. Not much is more volatile in the public eye these days than exclusivity.
Agreed.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think we all agree that Ford was idiotic on the 2015/2016 years, trying to pinch pennies rather than simply putting the same transmission and cooling system on all versions.

One thing that's interesting, is that if you look at the initial pamphlets, they note that the Track Pack cars add ENGINE oil coolers, transmission coolers, and differential coolers (implying that the tech and base cars do not have any of those features). Yet the final product included the engine oil cooler on all cars.

This makes me wonder if Ford was caught off-guard a bit on the heating issues, after the product planning was already in place. Perhaps they had already ordered a crap-ton of base and tech pack transmissions, and weren't able to meet production if they had tried to convert all vehicles to the version with the integral pump. Since the oil cooler was more modular, it could be more easily added-on to all versions late in the game (maybe also leading to poor quality control and the need for the recall on that item, due to a sudden increase in demand).

In any case, I think it is clear that Ford dropped the ball on those first two years, and should have simply offered the 2017 model lineup from the beginning. I (along with many others) made that same statement when the first leaks of the lineup arrived, even before order banks opened.

I feel bad for the Tech Pack owners who aren't able to fully enjoy their car, but I do not think Ford has any legal obligation, and I don't think the lawsuit will result in anything tangible for the Tech Pack owners.

It is just a very unfortunate situation due to some cheap decisions by Ford initially, forcing people to choose between some desirable options.

-T

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You bring up a good point about offering the school to all people who purchased the car.

I think they did it because under favorable conditions (i.e. not a hot day & a short track w/no elevation change) you can and should track a tech/base(16). Could you get all the way to the end a of 20min session? Maybe, maybe not but hopefully you'd get enough track time/fun to come back.

If tech owners could get say 10 minutes on track, would that be acceptable?

Also, have any tech owners tried different tranny fluid/viscosity? Did it help?
If it's in the 30s you could probably get 10 minutes out of a tech pack on the track - mostly due to lack of traction preventing putting any power down. I doubt you could if it's in the 40s. I know my car limped fairly quickly with ambient temperatures in the 50s.
Sponsored