Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Canelope has to be plugged in before it’ll let you download

Downloaded just fine. I think I'll wait to install before I can hear from others how it's working as mine isn't having any issues
Why would you wait?

If you were installing a brand new kit today (2015-2016 6 speed) this is the tune you would be getting.
Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
This makes more sense now. A couple of the guys with Auto's that seem to know whats up have been saying how great the tune is......alas the issue didn't affect auto's.

Now one of you 6 spd SOB's load this tune and test it out!
I have. My trims are better but not where they should be however it has been racing and I have only driven in the neighborhood but am making a few hundred mile trip this weekend. The fuel cut is good now it appears and it almost feels like the car is in sport mode vs normal with the throttle response.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
I have. My trims are better but not where they should be however it has been racing and I have only driven in the neighborhood but am making a few hundred mile trip this weekend. The fuel cut is good now it appears and it almost feels like the car is in sport mode vs normal with the throttle response.
I haven't looked at this thread in a few days. I'm excited to see the new tunes are up! Now I'm stuck at work and wanna go home and try it! I know what I will be doing as soon as I get home! My day is gonna drag.:(

John

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Canelope has to be plugged in before it’ll let you download

Downloaded just fine. I think I'll wait to install before I can hear from others how it's working as mine isn't having any issues
If you have your current cal, you can always go back. The new cal is better, I would recommend the update.

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I guess the MAF tempature variation could have caused the issue, but I would think that would effect all cars. Also it usually doesn't change it much, so I wouldn't have guessed seeing 20%+ lean from it.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I guess the MAF tempature variation could have caused the issue, but I would think that would effect all cars. Also it usually doesn't change it much, so I wouldn't have guessed seeing 20%+ lean from it.
The 20% is only during cat light off which commands .74 lambda, PCM fights to take that out, which was part of the issue. If fuel trims on average are within 10%, your as good as OE standards with varying fuel, temps, humidity, etc.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
do I need to do crank relearn again after making this update?

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
The 20% is only during cat light off which commands .74 lambda, PCM fights to take that out, which was part of the issue. If fuel trims on average are within 10%, your as good as OE standards with varying fuel, temps, humidity, etc.
So the ECU is/was fighting itself? It commanded the .74 cat light off but was also commanding closed loop stoich. I have to say Ford did an amazing job creating the programming behind this ECU. The variability of everything is just astounding. With all that you would think they would have some kinda metric check to make sure different fuel sources aren't in direct conflict with each other and if they are, too ignore one or the other.

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
This is just for the 5.0 correct? No changes were necessary for the gt350?

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
OK guys, I'm the OP. Here's what resulted from installing the new tune. The hesitation/misfire issue is about 80% gone. Not completely gone but WAYYYY better. The car feels MUCH more snappy down low and feels much more "torquey." I put about 45 miles on her tonight (in the rain) to get the learning well on its way.

I still have yet to install some new plugs and O2 sensors, although I did borrow a cat from a LT header guy to put on there to get me quickly past the cat problem until I get new cats.

My LT fuel trims are dramatically different than they were with the old tune. Before at idle they were somewhere on the order of +1% and +5% on each side. Now at idle, they are substantially negative: -10% and -5.6%. At WOT, I was at +14.5% now I'm at -0.78%.

Based on Whipple's description of the issue, I'm wondering if I should put in a new MAF too.

All in all, good job Whipple! As much as I'd like to get rid of all the hesitation issues (and I hope with Whipple's continued support I can), the car is vastly better than it was and it's livable. I don't cringe when I step on the gas at low RPM wondering if it'll act up - on the contrary I get a smile on my face feeling the low end power it now has! Yes, there is still some remaining issue left, but it's oh so much better than it was

MPG seems to have gone up a bit as well but I can't say that for sure until I get some more miles on her.

The remaining hesitation mostly happens during acceleration after a deceleration, during tip in. I did notice a bit of rotten egg smell from my exhaust at first but it seems to maybe have gone away.

Upgrade your tune guys!

John

Last edited: