Sponsored

Pony package rear deck trim-bar emblem?!

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
That looks great, Marco. Good choice on swapping out your GT badge for something more unique. I like the idea of coloring the Tri-Bar stripes behind that Pony.

I bought red, white and blue Testors Enamel paint...the kind we used to paint model cars with in the eighties. I know it's very durable...once we poured some paint out of those tiny glass bottles onto a fire hydrant, and it lasted for years and years before the city re-painted it. Once I get a chance to paint it, I'm going to. I'll post pics of course.

~Marco
Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
That's exactly the way we freshened up the the old musclecar emblems...testors model paint. After we steelwooled the slight pitting of the potmetal chrome lol..

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First coat of Testors on....

picture.jpg
Yep that’s how I was told to do it… A few light coats instead of one thick coat will prevent streaking. Hope to do mine in a couple days. Looks good so far!

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
Get the smallest brush you can find. I shook it up really good and just used the paint that was left on the lid so I wouldn't get any runs. It starts gumming up pretty quick so hit it and leave it alone. Tomorrow is another day...

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious - some questions:

1) Is the 2018 Pony Package Tribar emblem made of metal or plastic?

2) Does anyone know if the original 1968 front fender tribar emblem is of the same size/proportion? Because if it is, those can be purchased from nearly any Mustang Restoration Vendor for far less than what Ford wants for a “modernized” version. The user would just need to dremel the pins off the back and use 3M body tape to mount it to the decklid applique.
Example:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-d...-horse-pin-on-driver-side-1965-1968/p/EMRH1L/

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Stock rear 2018 pony is plastic.

Just curious - some questions:

1) Is the 2018 Pony Package Tribar emblem made of metal or plastic?

2) Does anyone know if the original 1968 front fender tribar emblem is of the same size/proportion? Because if it is, those can be purchased from nearly any Mustang Restoration Vendor for far less than what Ford wants for a “modernized” version. The user would just need to dremel the pins off the back and use 3M body tape to mount it to the decklid applique.
Example:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-d...-horse-pin-on-driver-side-1965-1968/p/EMRH1L/
Rear 2018 pony is plastic, uses 4 mounting studs glued/melted to the decklid.
I like your idea not sure the size would be right though?

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
There are lots of tribar pony emblems available on Amazon. If you're not a stickler for exact size and dimensions, you can probably find what you want.

Sponsored
OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back at home now...will do first coat on mine in a day or so...

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back at home now...will do first coat on mine in a day or so...

After 1st coat, it looked pretty bad. After 2nd coat, is looking better...will probably take 4 full coats, and then some smoothing with thin, thin coats, then clean-up of the edges with a toothpick dipped in Testors thinner.
GT Pony - 1 (1).jpg
GT Pony - 2.jpg

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 1st coat, it looked pretty bad. After 2nd coat, is looking better...will probably take 4 full coats, and then some smoothing with thin, thin coats, then clean-up of the edges with a toothpick dipped in Testors thinner.
After coat three. The photo is misleading. The top part that looks horrible is not visible when you look at it straight on. It is not bubbling at all. It is a play of light and reflection. It is just a bit uneven, but it looks smooth when you are looking at if from behind the car and not at an angle.

Pretty soon I will do the fourth coat, and then probably only some clean up with thinner on a toothpick.

~Marco
GT Pony - 1 (2).jpg

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
As long as you three feet away it will look good. You can't get a factory finish using model paint.

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
That looks fantastic. Nice job.
Sponsored