Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 GT350R base,18 GT350R
I lost my engine due to oil pump gear failure. 860 miles on car, oil changed at 500 with no consumption. There were 4 engines lost that I know of in a single week and I’m the only one who has now publicly stated so. It is hard to really know how many have lost them as we don’t want replacement engines. Two had rod through the block and two didn’t. 3 of the 4 were due to oil pump failure.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I lost my engine due to oil pump gear failure. 860 miles on car, oil changed at 500 with no consumption. There were 4 engines lost that I know of in a single week and I’m the only one who has now publicly stated so. It is hard to really know how many have lost them as we don’t want replacement engines. Two had rod through the block and two didn’t. 3 of the 4 were due to oil pump failure.
Have you, or any of the others you know that lost an engine, heard when a replacement is coming? An earlier post of the voodoo being back ordered til June 28th has me a tad concerned. Tuesday will be 2 weeks without the car for me, and while a 1st world problem ...it just sucks. Taking that long to just simply get the engine seems like some could lemon law these things

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Have you, or any of the others you know that lost an engine, heard when a replacement is coming? An earlier post of the voodoo being back ordered til June 28th has me a tad concerned. Tuesday will be 2 weeks without the car for me, and while a 1st world problem ...it just sucks. Taking that long to just simply get the engine seems like some could lemon law these things
It only took a week to get my replacement engine to the dealership. This was pretty recently too.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If Ford doesn't let them open up the engine, how do you know it was primarily OPG failure with certainty? Is there some inside info we haven't yet seen?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
It only took a week to get my replacement engine to the dealership. This was pretty recently too.
Makes me feel a little better. Just unsure why they’d tell someone that...but it is the internet lol

Front Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Wow. Seems like there are a lot of recently blown motors. Not encouraging.....

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
It’s been about 6 weeks now. In one week 6 engines shipped out of Tennessee for replacement. They only had 6 at the time I lost mine. There have been some gaskets back ordered but would try and be patient and expect they will be filling orders ASAP.

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If Ford doesn't let them open up the engine, how do you know it was primarily OPG failure with certainty? Is there some inside info we haven't yet seen yet?

Pics are worth a thousand words. Just keeping my word to not share them. Ford told me I couldn’t upgrade to the billet Ford Performance gear and retain warranty unless it happens again and then they would consider it. The powdered metal gear is the weak point in the system.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have a hard time believing Ford is taking a bath on this engine, and the only problem is the OPG. That would be just too easy to not address immediately in all build. They haven't upgraded the OPG. I was told the engine spun a main bearing (again, uncorroborated supposition of tech).

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
For those who are having their engine replaced, take comfort in knowing that its a different part # than before. Apparently Ford has made some changes to the motor, but wont tell anyone what was improved or fixed.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
For those who are having their engine replaced, take comfort in knowing that its a different part # than before. Apparently Ford has made some changes to the motor, but wont tell anyone what was improved or fixed.
That is good to know. I wonder if we can track engine iteration based on serial number. And I wonder how many versions of improvements will occur. I suspect we will never know.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think I’ll forward this thread to ford to let them know the community is a little uncomfortable right now in ref to the perceived (maybe real) unreliability of the Voodoo. It’s nnot fun driving a car thinking it could blow any moment.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Good luck I'm pretty sure Ford could care less especially since the GT 350 is about to stop production. While your at it tell them about all the air conditioners that are failing (sometimes repeatedly) and the entire dash has to be removed to try to fix it that a lot are concerned about it going out after warranty expires and then its on them.

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
I think I’ll forward this thread to ford to let them know the community is a little uncomfortable right now in ref to the perceived (maybe real) unreliability of the Voodoo. It’s nnot fun driving a car thinking it could blow any moment.
Spoke with my selling dealers head of service the other day...they have sold in the neighbourhood of a few dozen GT350’s since 2015. Guess how many blown engines they’ve dealt with? One...and it sounds like it was from out of town and ran the freeway on couple hundred mile road trip low on oil. So, has this dealer just been lucky on his volume of sales? Obviously there’s a built in number of attrition but as he indicates it’s 1 in 24 currently and that one probably could of been prevented.

Bottom line he told me (and we’ve heard it here before) check your oil level!

RedWhiteBlues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Lightning Blue
While it sucks for the people that have had to get their engines replaced, I am convinced that the failure percentages fall within expected norms.

My rationale is that is costs Ford a ton of money to do an engine replacement (not sure if the $34k mentioned is accurate, it seems high). If the Ford engineers determined that the engines are "a ticking time bomb" WITH A 5 YEAR WARRANTY it would be an easy math exercise for them to figure out the cost to fix a known problem (if there was a single issue or even multiple issues) vs. eventually replace a ton of engines over 5 years. Without a doubt, fixing a known problem or problems before the engines fail would seem to be cheaper than replacing failed engines AND far less damaging to Fords reputation. The fact that this hasn't happened (yet) leads me to believe that Ford engineers (and accountants!) believe the Voodoo to be reasonably reliable.

I would say check your oil frequently, drive it and enjoy.