Washing convertible top

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Prior to my recent 2018 'vert, my 2014 'vert saw a hose and soap just once a year in the spring, followed by clay prior to a paint correction with a DA, and the top never ever got soap. After the spring paint correction I used a rinse less wash and detail sprays on the sheet metal.

In fairness it was always garaged and never driven intentionally in the rain (although I did get surprised a few times) and never in the snow or if there was salt on the roads.

As far as the cloth top, I swear by Woolite foam upholstery cleaner, a brush, and damp wipe down. I traded in the '14 looking better than when I first brought it home.

My '18 will get the same treatment.
You have me thinking that I am over soaping my top.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I am thinking the same way myself. :shrug:.. going to be using waterless and/or rinseless wash from now on unless I were to go off roading and cake it in mud :lol:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not to hijack this post, but how do you like the whipple and all of the performance mods on your vert? Do you feel like it can compete with the coupes, even with the extra weight?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Not to hijack this post, but how do you like the whipple and all of the performance mods on your vert? Do you feel like it can compete with the coupes, even with the extra weight?
Power wise I love it. It will eat an N/A coupe for lunch. Blown coupes I'd say it would come down to the driver. The extra weight is a plus for traction, but obviously not for ultimate acceleration. So compete? Yes no doubt!

Suspension wise its a work in progress. Between the lock out kit, tires, and bracing it puts the power down much better than I expected. Handling wise I've made a heavy car into a very heavy car. Lots of weight over the front tires, I lost about 1/4" in ride height. The dampers feel overworked. I am going to level out/re-balance the car and upgrade to the Ford track dampers.

The fun part of the car is the sleeper aspect of it. My exhaust is pretty tame and you can barely hear the blower. No one is really thinking a convertible with 20's is pushing close to 700whp. I get alot of Corvette,RS4, and Big Dodges looking for a race. My Father in Law has a Hellcat Challenger. I am eager to see how that plays out.

Back to the topic. I ordered just ordered the 303 convertible top kit. No more soap for my top!

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Any of you guys have suggestion for removing tree sap? I have a small pea sized spot thats being stubborn. Been working it with a bristle brush and 303 to this point.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Power wise I love it. It will eat an N/A coupe for lunch. Blown coupes I'd say it would come down to the driver. The extra weight is a plus for traction, but obviously not for ultimate acceleration. So compete? Yes no doubt!

Suspension wise its a work in progress. Between the lock out kit, tires, and bracing it puts the power down much better than I expected. Handling wise I've made a heavy car into a very heavy car. Lots of weight over the front tires, I lost about 1/4" in ride height. The dampers feel overworked. I am going to level out/re-balance the car and upgrade to the Ford track dampers.

The fun part of the car is the sleeper aspect of it. My exhaust is pretty tame and you can barely hear the blower. No one is really thinking a convertible with 20's is pushing close to 700whp. I get alot of Corvette,RS4, and Big Dodges looking for a race. My Father in Law has a Hellcat Challenger. I am eager to see how that plays out.

Back to the topic. I ordered just ordered the 303 convertible top kit. No more soap for my top!
Thanks for your input! I am leery to do too much with it due to the weight and suspension dynamics of the vert, but will be adding BMR minimal drop springs, subframe alignment kit, vertical links and exhaust next week. Power wise I want to try out the 2018 intake manifold with a Lund tune and see where that gets me.
As far as the top of the vert goes, I had a special treatment done at my detailer that is supposed to last approx 3 years... I should be able to use a good quality waterless wash on it and dirt/stains should repel. Water is beading up on it nicely....

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
I use my car washes self service bays which have nice soft foaming brushes. They use simonoz products although I’m never sure if they are too aggressive for the fabric.
I always hated the wind tunnels on the automated washes I feel like they would stretch out the top prematurely but maybe it’s just in my head.

Storm75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V-6 Convertible
I am on my 3rd convertible.

I use the 303 kit. includes a cleaning agent and their version of the top protectant. Every Spring I carefully tape and cover the glass, then tape the trim etc. Have found that when the protectant dries it is like glue getting off glass and trim. Water beads up instantly, even after months of exposure. Good stuff.

I HAVE been known to carefully pick a quality automated wash with no regrets though/ The older I get the more I buy into the theory that "... it ain't a classic Ferrari..."

Mike
Driving Mustangs since 1967...

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Up here in Canada we have a laundry detergent called Ivory Snow, which is for baby clothing, cloth diapers and so on. Very mild. It’s a P&G product but doesn’t appear to be sold in the US. Wondering if this might be an alternate choice to, comparatively, expensive convertible top specific products.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
With regard to the 303 protectant (and similar), should I make a point of applying this as soon as possible after picking up the car? Does doing so give you that extra edge in protecting the top?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
With regard to the 303 protectant (and similar), should I make a point of applying this as soon as possible after picking up the car? Does doing so give you that extra edge in protecting the top?
Can't hurt to protect it before it gets all mucked up!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I drove though one with my 97 Wranger with soft top. It was fine.
Make sure it's a touchless one.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Can't hurt to protect it before it gets all mucked up!
It should have fabric protection from the manufacture of the top cloth. But after 6-12 months it wears off a bit. I always do the 303 fabric guard in the fall, so it is set for the winter, as my car sits outside. I noticed I did not do it one year and the car had a damp feel inside the next day after a heavy rain.
Sponsored