Sponsored

How good can a S550 be at dodging cones???

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
WHY NOT BOTH

I wish I fit in a Miata :(

If you want to be competitive you have to work backwards from class rules, expected competition, etc. or ya get a dedicated cone crusher like a FFord.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
they're shit, don't bother.
/s
:p
Didn't you own, or codrive, a Formula Ford for awhile? :D

They certainly don't make good street cars . . . but you may have your Mustang down to almost the same ground clearance ( 1 1/2 inches or so). ;:D

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My favorite FF vs Pony car size comparison picture

[/url][/IMG]

The total minimum weight of the FF is 1100 lbs with driver. Roughly the same as a front corner on a V8 Pony car.

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
My favorite FF vs Pony car size comparison picture

[/url][/IMG]

The total minimum weight of the FF is 1100 lbs with driver. Roughly the same as a front corner on a V8 Pony car.
I have never run an open wheel car, i know a few guys with Mod cars, and considered grabbing a formula chassis from the skip barber liquidation but it would have been too large a project for me right now

Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Didn't you own, or codrive, a Formula Ford for awhile? :D

They certainly don't make good street cars . . . but you may have your Mustang down to almost the same ground clearance ( 1 1/2 inches or so). ;:D
i think you missed the /s (sarcasm), dick :D

and yes, my heart will always belong to an '82 reynard ;)

5941402614_88c59c42d6_b.jpg

still have more ground clearance in my 'stang, i promise!

not all of us chain ourselves to stock examples :p
i'm a lot (several hundred) less than that!!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't miss the sarcasm which is why I included the emoticon and commented on the ground clearances. :-)

Your CAM car has got to be incredible fun but in very different ways. At my age I couldn't continue to drive even close to the car's limits and our tow vehicle camper van was on its last legs and it didn't make financial sense to upgrade so FS was the best compromise thanks to the change to real street tires.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I didn't miss the sarcasm which is why I included the emoticon and commented on the ground clearances. :-)

Your CAM car has got to be incredible fun but in very different ways. At my age I couldn't continue to drive even close to the car's limits and our tow vehicle camper van was on its last legs and it didn't make financial sense to upgrade so FS was the best compromise thanks to the change to real street tires.
i was just needling ya :)
.. and if you miss lincoln again, it'll get worse :lol:
i promise the car you see this time will be a LOT different than the one you saw last. big plans this offseason, already set in motion..

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I really need to meet you whackos at nats next year :p No more silly hot hatches for me next year! (hopefully)

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
I should be at lincoln this year too, ill be out there running STH

Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I really need to meet you whackos at nats next year :p No more silly hot hatches for me next year! (hopefully)
do the CAM invitational if you aren't invested in the pro solo finale - it's a hoot, both on and off the course!

I should be at lincoln this year too, ill be out there running STH
nice! i'll see ya next month too, when i stop by the office on my way back from vacation.

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
do the CAM invitational if you aren't invested in the pro solo finale - it's a hoot, both on and off the course!

nice! i'll see ya next month too, when i stop by the office on my way back from vacation.
looking forward to it.

Ive got 3 major events planned plus nats

mar i have the ft meyers pro solo, then a week or 2 later the dixie nationals. then im going to try for NJ pro in may. im having a kid in june, so summer im taking off from racing, ill grab a few local events to practice before nats though

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i was just needling ya :)
.. and if you miss lincoln again, it'll get worse :lol:
i promise the car you see this time will be a LOT different than the one you saw last. big plans this offseason, already set in motion..
I've seen your FI posts. Are you trying to make it rain at Nats? :D

I knew on the needling. :) I'm having my usual (retired) afternoon while I wait for my 2018 to be built next Thursday and arrive sometime after New Years.

Don't know what my plans are for next season. I'm not sure I'll attend enough Pro's to qualify based on 3 events (I certainly won't get enough points due to old/slow) and it is a long drive for just Nats. Does the CAM Challenge end up with open slots for class filler Street Class cars with slow drivers?

OP
OP
CompOrangeS550

CompOrangeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
I got hooked on autocrossing with stock (now street) class sports cars (260Z and Lotus Europa and even an 88 Mustang) in the 70's through early 90's before switching to a CM Formula Ford until 2014. Then I tried a "normal I'm never going to autocross this car" 2012 Mustang automatic in FS for one year before buying my current 2015 GT PP (soon to be traded for a 2018 GTPP with 10A and magneride) for FS. The experiences obviously are totally different but all are FUN. Before spending a LOT of money to prep a CSP car or even a Street class Miata you might try co driving in someone else's car.

You might also consider getting an F125, FM, or CM autocross car and towing it with your current Mustang. My first tow vehicle for the CM FF was an 88 Mustang 5.0 LX hatch.
A open wheel rig would be awesome, no doubt. However..
Having to trailer to and from would be another downside to the CSP Miata. I do have a truck and trailer, but would probably upgrade for a new trailer. All food for thought!

OP
OP
CompOrangeS550

CompOrangeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
Can someone please post a link with more info on the CAM challenge? If feasible, I'd be very interested in attending!
Sponsored