breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It always shows the gear the trans is currently in.
Sponsored

Mr.Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (EU)
So now that all issues seem to be cleared, Iā€˜ve got another question:
Do you guys think itā€˜s possible to swap a 15-17 analog cluster (auto) into a 18 model originally equipped with a digital cluster?
Iā€˜m seeing a few issues here, but feel free to correct me :)
- different number of gears; can the old cluster display 10 gears?
- different drive modes
- different menues/buttons
- communication with sccm

Background: In Germany we donā€˜t get to choose between the analog or digital cluster, in a 2018 model the digital comes standard. But some people would prefer an analog one

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Do you guys think itā€˜s possible to swap a 15-17 analog cluster (auto) into a 18 model originally equipped with a digital cluster?
- different drive modes

Background: In Germany we donā€˜t get to choose between the analog or digital cluster, in a 2018 model the digital comes standard. But some people would prefer an analog one

Interesting.

I actually think it shouldnā€™t be a problem. Addressing your points and I donā€™t have an auto so correct me if I say something wrong here.
- different number of gears shouldnā€™t matter as the analog gauge cluster doesnā€™t display gear number, right? It wonā€™t stop the 10 speed from working properly.
- same drive modes if your referring to normal, sport, track, and rain mode and all that should be just asbuilt data.
- menus would be lost obviously along with other functions (nav, song info, digital center gauges, etc) but the menus in the analog cluster should have no issue programming with 15-17 asbuilt.
- the SCCM ā€˜mightā€™ need to be changed.....not sure because when we put the 18 SCCM in for our digital upgrade our buttons worked the same on the steering wheel until we changed asbuilt so programming alone will maybe make yours work.

Youā€™ll probably have to change to the older steering wheel buttons and if you have the heated steering wheel you shouldnā€™t loose that either.

Let us know what you do and Iā€™m sure others will chime in with opinions.

Mr.Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (EU)
Wow, thanks for your fast reply! :)

In fact, when shifting manually, the analog cluster displays the gear number at the bottom of its little display but youā€˜re of course right about the trans still working correctly

Doesnā€˜t the 18 model have additional drive modes, like drag strip or something else?

So youā€˜re trying to say that the menu in the analog cluster hasnā€˜t changed from 15-17 to 18?

Well, before trying anything I will have to find an owner of a 18 model crazy enough to let me rip apart his brand new ride :D

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Lol, no problem....caught me at a moment I can type some.

Yeah not too familiar with the autoā€™s and what they display so didnā€™t want to put out bad info.

The 18 cluster does have drag strip mode, if the car is capable, which mine has. Itā€™s basically Launch Control that was available with the 15-17ā€™s that weā€™re capable of having it from the factory based on the model car you got.
For me I had to go into a menu to activate Launch Control to make it work, which I donā€™t use, and since Iā€™ve added the digital cluster it is now one of the ā€˜drive modesā€™ which makes it easier to activate and works if I want it to as I tested the rpm limit. Basically what Iā€™m saying is if you have an 18 with Drag Strip Mode, youā€™ll still have it switching to a 15-17 analog cluster but it will be a different process to activate and wonā€™t be displayed as ā€˜drag strip modeā€™ but rather ā€˜launch controlā€™ in a sub menu.

Menus have completely changed from 15-17 cluster to the full digital cluster. I havenā€™t even seen what an 18 analog cluster does but it looks basically the same as the 15-17ā€™s. It may have some extra features but I have NO idea.

Good luck on the friends new car dismantle. :)

Sponsored

withanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT Vert
Is there any one place where all known knowledge, instructions, parts, etc on this swap is? It's a long thread to read.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Is there any one place where all known knowledge, instructions, parts, etc on this swap is? It's a long thread to read.
The sticky at the top of this section :shrug:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Couple questions - I have a 2016 GT350R. Is there any reason to think that with the correct modules and forscan, that this wouldn't 100% work for me? I wonder if we can adjust the redline indicator to reflect the GT350? Also, what does this stuff weigh, compared to the non-LCD setup?..I'm guessing pretty close.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Couple questions - I have a 2016 GT350R. Is there any reason to think that with the correct modules and forscan, that this wouldn't 100% work for me? I wonder if we can adjust the redline indicator to reflect the GT350? Also, what does this stuff weigh, compared to the non-LCD setup?..I'm guessing pretty close.
Canā€™t see why this wouldnā€™t work for you for any reason. There seems to be only two redline indicators with the highest one starting at 7400 rpm. What I think you will loose is anything past 8000 rpm because the tach completely stops at that point. The digital counter may go higher but Iā€™m not testing that.
Weight is a non-issue and you remove some plastic behind the cluster.

Sponsored

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
- different drive modes

Just swap in an 18 analogue cluster instead. You just have to change steering wheel buttons then. SCCM is the same just different as built data for the buttons.

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to see this is working out for everyone. After issues with Tasca and waiting on parts I decided to put this on the back burner for a bit and spend the money on other interior stuff. Hopefully by the time I get around it getting parts will be less of a headache.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Well, here's something to keep in mind.

People who have either done GT350 cluster swaps into other Mustangs or have flashed the GT350 firmware onto their cluster lose their drive modes. Apparently, the drive modes are treated differently between the cars. The toggle on the FCIM (center stack) stops working. It must be still looking for a signal from the SCCM (steering column.)

The IPC (cluster) has a lot to do with whether or not the drive modes work and are available. I know from doing a base radio to Sync 3 swap that you have to change the IPC as-built in order to enable the drive mode toggle on the premium FCIM.

Being that you're in a 350, the modes are on the steering wheel. Given that you need to change the module in the steering wheel (SCCM) will need to change for the cluster swap, you're almost certainly going to loose access to your drive modes.

You may be able to swap in a regular premium FCIM (center stack) that has the drive mode toggle, but I would assume that it still wouldn't work. The GT350 has drive modes that differ from the regular cars, so the all-digital IPC probably doesn't understand those.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Fine, if you want to trade your GT350 for my 17, it has the digital cluster already for you. Even better, it has the GT350 steering wheel and push start button, so you you won't even be able to tell the difference! You know, except for the hundred less horsepower and all that....
All joking aside, unless they put one in a future GT350 or GT500, my opinion is keep the 200 MPH analog speedo you have, removing it I feel would subtract from the value of your car.
Sponsored