Clutch Wobble/Shudder GT Normal?

FreeRein

FreeRein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M17 Mustang GT 6MT Coupe
Hi,

Need opinions please. I have a 2017 MT GT coupe.

Since brand new, I have had a drive-line wobble or shake right at the clutch take up point when letting the clutch out - low revs (less than 1000 rpm). This is when when you have to slip the clutch slightly at the take up point, eg manouvering in tight spaces, creeping along in stop go traffic etc. Forward & reverse.

You can fell it through the clutch - like it could be high spots on the driven plate - but that's a guess. There is no noise, just a "wobble" that can be felt through the whole car - passengers notice it - my wife, not mechanical said - "..you need to get that fixed". I would have called it clutch shudder. It is only when you have to be holding that extra half second at the take-up point (you can go longer if you need to hold at the slip point, but usually you are out to the t/u point, get motion, in with the clutch again etc.) The clutch is fine when you are in/out with normal gear changes. Normal take-offs are fine usually - because you are through the take-up point quickly and we know these cars are hard to stall.

1st dealer said - "...its normal they all do it. I just checked two on the lot."
2nd dealer - found no fault although at that time, I did not know the exact conditions that allow you to emulate it every time.
The 3rd dealer who could feel it from the passenger seat (even though I was only on a very slight up incline - it is worse the more load there is) said, "...yes they all have that, its the dual mass flywheel...".

I have put off modding till I get sorted - feedback please. I have had several manual cars, last one a 996 Carrera - that had D/M flywheel - no shudder what-so-ever.

Also - when new gearbox - slight whine - now a gravelly noise - getting louder, at low revs (just off idle) 1st & 2nd under load.

Cheers
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Mine did this as well. Mostly when cold. Once the tranny fluid/engine warmed up it was gone. I have a slight whine under acceleration 1-2 but no problems 14k.

Last edited:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
you know @ 1000rpm its trying to stall out, right? SMH...pickup some revs and drive a manual correctly and maybe stop being petty about every little noise

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I'm no expert, but...
Clutch shuddering is normally caused by the clutch plate trying to "grab" the flywheel/pressure plate. A ceramic clutch has this tendency.
The dual mass flywheel should dampen shuddering to an extent, not aggravate it.
BTW, I didn't know the 550 had a DMF. Learn something new every day.

There are ways to check a DMF, but the tranny will have to be removed to do so.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Mine does it too when it's cold. Then goes away once warm, usually after 5-10 min and it's only low RPM take off. Also I'm pretty sure 15-17 mustangs do NOT have a DMF.

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Yes, a bit of clutch chatter is normal with the stock clutch. Nothing to worry about. It has nothing to do with transmission temp.

Depending on throttle input, nothing wrong with riding the clutch out at about 1000RPMs. As long as load is low, you won't be lugging the engine. Carry on.

OP
OP
FreeRein

FreeRein

FreeRein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M17 Mustang GT 6MT Coupe
Thanks folks for the constructive feedback and advice that you have similar situation. For he record, this happens way above "stall point" which is as low as 500 rpm and is a totally different matter.

The separate matter re the gearbox "gravelly" sound from v low revs in 1st and 2nd (clutch is fully engaged) - my dealer says they had a gearbox out to fix it, new bearings, shafts - a near brand new car (heck mine has only done 5k miles) and it did exactly the same thing - no change - they have come to conclusion that it is normal. Remember these things are new to Australia so these guys are all going through learning curve that US has been on for years

Rick@LASTREETCARS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lastreetcars.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Procharged and Built
When my car was stock it did the same thing when cold. I did notice though, that when I put my car in Track mode, it went away...almost seemed like the additional throttle response solved the problem from it being in Standard Mode...try that...

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
My 2020 Bullitt does the same thing and bugs the hell out of me. It’s also accompanied by this sound.
Anyone else have this rattle too?.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Fortunately, my car doesn't do that noise. It also sounded like it has the 'tick', no?

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
My 2020 Bullitt does the same thing and bugs the hell out of me. It’s also accompanied by this sound.
Anyone else have this rattle too?.
I don't have the noise but do have the clutch shudder .

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
When it’s in neutral at idle no tick at all. Almost sounds like something is loose but I still have suspicions for the clutch.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
If I Rev the engine a bit it does the same but only at very slow speeds ie parking etc.
Sponsored