Sponsored

Aftermarket differential cooler installation

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I have compiled aftermarket and custom components to install the differential cooler, while I wait to see what the market will offer for the transmission. Since the differential is less critical and less involved, I figured that I would start with the back end and be able to apply some lessons learned when I get to the transmission cooler. I am wiring the systems so I can turn them on and off from the cockpit, I expect to use them primarily at the track.

I started with a custom radiator from Fluidyne, this was made to my specifications and has about 40% more capacity than the factory cooler.
NpGrTs.jpg

I am starting with the Mocal 2 GPM pump to see how I like it.
7kTrgt.jpg

The pump will be controlled by a relay I will mount inside the housing under the spare tire space.
LDgsBs.jpg

I mounted switches in the cockpit for the 2 pumps, top for the transmission, lower switch for the differential.
uVzWc7.jpg

Had a local hydraulics service shop make the hoses.
QvW7PQ.jpg

I welded mounting tabs on the radiator hosing.
Z3qPIS.jpg

I made a center support for the radiator, this mounts to the steel flange for the plastic housing.
aUIyhc.jpg

Mounted the pump under the spare tire compartment. The hoses connect to the fill and drain holes in the differential. An inline filter will be added before the pump inlet.
qL8mQk.jpg

Here is the system mounted in place
7xgbyl.jpg

Cost of the system:
Radiator $405
Hoses and connectors $115
Pump $165
Relay and switches $12
Wire $10
Brackets , about 3 hours fabricating.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Excellent to see one more done. With a track pack differential cooler, I saw about 180F at the end of a 30 min HPDE session.

picture.jpg

What temps have you seen without the cooler for the differential? (IR measured or thermocouples).

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
We ran ours on our GT and never saw above 181F. Fan does not come on until 190F. (Temps shot with a gun) We will likely install a real gauge and bring the switch inside the car and/or trigger it with a run source. We finished this an hour before we teched in on Thursday. Non speedway tracks I suspect the fan will run.

We have a track pack cover to install, not a lot of room for hose ends so the Track Pack cover will make level checking much easier. Our system holds about 2.5-2.75Qts.

Everything is in the way including the sway bar when routing lines.
15325256_10207950691465792_7661650475718108225_o.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
GT_Dave

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I am sticking with the original 2 hole cover. If there is a reason in the future that requires the upgrade cover, then I will install it. I don't see any reason that the current setup will give me any problems with track activity. I would be more concerned about the transmission than the diff.

OP
OP
GT_Dave

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What temps have you seen without the cooler for the differential? (IR measured or thermocouples).
I have a differential temperature sensor mounted in the factory hole with a Glowshift gauge in the cockpit. The highest I have seen the differential get in hot weather is about 210F. I am looking to keep that under 180 under any circumstances.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
We ran ours on our GT and never saw above 181F. Fan does not come on until 190F. (Temps shot with a gun) We will likely install a real gauge and bring the switch inside the car and/or trigger it with a run source. We finished this an hour before we teched in on Thursday. Non speedway tracks I suspect the fan will run.

We have a track pack cover to install, not a lot of room for hose ends so the Track Pack cover will make level checking much easier. Our system holds about 2.5-2.75Qts.

Everything is in the way including the sway bar when routing lines.
Is this something you sell?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Is this something you sell?
Not yet, we are not in a rush to market for the sake of being first. Lot's more testing to do and making it no drill is a challenge. We may release the brake cooling kit sooner, we know it works. We also use a 10,000HR $400 pump, Goodridges GMAX hose and fittings with a Setrab fan pack cooler. It will only be for serious people.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I have a differential temperature sensor mounted in the factory hole with a Glowshift gauge in the cockpit. The highest I have seen the differential get in hot weather is about 210F. I am looking to keep that under 180 under any circumstances.
Hi GT Dave,

Can you post a pic of the Glowshift light in the cockpit? Did you run the sensor from the fill hole?

Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
I know this is a very stupid question since you all are way more smart than me, but for the OEM and aftermarket diff coolers I see they all require a switch, why can’t a thermostatic switch be incorporated? I know there has to be a reason and it’s probably been explained.

OP
OP
GT_Dave

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is how I mounted gauges in the headliner as an upper center console of sorts. At the time, 2 years ago, this was before we knew about the Forscan capabilities. If done today I would most likely do it different and just use the dash display. But it is nice having these gauges as a backup at the track.

hXXS51.jpg

qpL2ea.jpg

The sensor uses the factory sensor port in the stock cover.

rwotBC.jpg

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a very stupid question since you all are way more smart than me, but for the OEM and aftermarket diff coolers I see they all require a switch, why can’t a thermostatic switch be incorporated? I know there has to be a reason and it’s probably been explained.
The FP post-market diff cooler kit (M-4000-M8S) has one for 170 degrees. The switch is essentially a manual shutoff/override for the diff cooling system.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Wow, your setup is impressive. I had the idea of installing the AutoMeter Indiglo or something like that. Based on the pic, and the Forscan tweaks, I am now under the assumption that the factory sensors are installed for both differential and tranny? All we need to do is turn on with the Forscan tweak? If so, that’s easier than the OEM kit and the time involved to install it. Thanks

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Ok so I am even more stupid than before, why would you need a manual shutoff or override switch, if the pump turns on at 170 and off below 170, why would you turn it off above 170 and let diff get hot?
Sponsored