HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello from Germany, I have the same ticking noise every day i start the Car and it is Fading away after some Kilometers. Here in the german Forums they assume, that it could be a noun or syno inside the exhaust System that makes the BBQ Ticking noise. when it is warm it goes away. of course that does not tell anything about the engine rattle. I Thing the engine rattle and the BBQ Ticking is something different. But I was wrong before and i am just guessing. The BBQ Ticking is a Long Story since many years. i found Videos on you tube about this noise from the 2011 and later years. strange .. cheers from Berlin
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I get this ticking sound whenever I’m slowing down to a stop. It’s coming from the driver side. I feel like it doesn’t happen every time. Could it be related to what y’all are experiencing? 2018 gt PP1 6 speed
Depends. A steady consistent ticking that coincides with the engine rotation is likely just the fuel system. An uneven rattle-like tick (see OP here) is not normal.

orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt Premium PP1 6sp /Active Exhaust/Nov17
The dealer has had my car all week ; first they could not hear it . I went in this morning and showed them. We then went to another 2018 GT I started that and revved it the same rpm and now this car is making that same noise; I heard back from the dealer that they had hotlined the issue with Ford. They were told it was normal..... They were instructed to unplug part of either the VVT or Coil pack and if it goes away its indeed normal.
I will find out for sure tomorrow if they give me the car back as is...

I have posted on here in the other "Mustang Tick "section; here is the video of my car [ame]
[ame]
[ame]

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It sounds like it has nothing to do with rpm but more of a load thing. Like something is adjusting and causing the sound. I am gonna say variable valve control?

Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer has had my car all week ; first they could not hear it . I went in this morning and showed them. We then went to another 2018 GT I started that and revved it the same rpm and now this car is making that same noise; I heard back from the dealer that they had hotlined the issue with Ford. They were told it was normal..... They were instructed to unplug part of either the VVT or Coil pack and if it goes away its indeed normal.
I will find out for sure tomorrow if they give me the car back as is...

Hello from Europe,
My 2018GT has the same Sound . I also went to the dealer here in Berlin Germany and we started a brand new GT and it had the same noise. I also think, that it meight be normal. We decided that i will drive a month and watch if it changes.

in the last time i searched the net for unusual sounds of V8 engines. and for the BBQ tick. funny Story: even the diesel engines from Ford have the tick. they call it there the typewriter tick 6.7 powerstroke.
it sounds similar to the bbq tick and the rattling in low reps and it started for many of them after the first oil Change.

here is a link to the Service Bulletin for thouse of you who are interested in. as far as I understand Ford says , that it is a normal Sound.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diagno...e-ticktap-tsb/

here is a vid. with the Sound and it is just like my Sound.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/HgMGNM-aeFk?start=

cheers from Berlin Germany

Last edited:

orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Ok Picked up the car today;
I am posting the reports given to me as it may help others; BTW it says that i contacted Ford and asked for a new engine:
I didn't contact Ford. What i said to the dealer is that if they diagnose a motor issue i want a long block not a short block.
That was as far as it went.
I will put this out there so we can all see what they told me . I told them I am renaming the car to The Rattler maybe even Diesel (not sure how to rotate the pictures) please let me know and i will.
The other issue raised was that I was told to take forum opinions with a grain of salt and to trust the Ford Engineers .... so there it is :ford:
IMG_7771.jpg
IMG_7773.jpg
IMG_7770.jpg

Last edited:

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Ok Picked up the car today;
I am posting the reports given to me as it may help others; BTW it says that i contacted Ford and asked for a new engine:
I didn't contact ford. What i said to the dealer is that if they diagnose a motor issue i want a long block not a short block.
That was as far as it went.
I will put this out there so we can all see what they told me . I told them I am renaming the car to The Rattler maybe even Diesel (not sure how to rotate the pictures) please let me know and i will.
The other issue raised was that I was told to take forum opinions with a grain of salt and to trust the Ford Engineers .... so there it is :ford:
Call me confused :shrug:

Ford hot line told your dealer according to that letter to unplug VCT solenoid one side at a time, and if noise went away they were to replace the phaser associated with that solenoid. Your dealer removed both sides, noise went away and they replaced nothing. So either your dealer didn't follow the instructions given or I did not read that letter correctly :headbonk:

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
My dealer already ordered a shortblock and the assorted bits. Do yall think theres anyway i can cajole them for a longblock or is my request worthless. I tried bringing it up woth ford customer service and they were of no help. The customer service line now seems yo be an outsourced call center where no representative can understand what im saying. The service line left negative feedback for the dealer on my behalf without asking me. No clue whats going on over there:headbonk:

Sponsored

orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
:)Great Points BLU2DSKY and MVFJET
I just took the paperwork and brought the car home. (i have my reasons)
The way the document reads and what was told to me was they followed the advice from Ford Engineering strictly. That they disconnected the VCT then the sound went away; They then said that the connected it and the sound came back and that the sound is normal. The fact that the sound is normal is what they are telling me.
That is part of the point of putting this out their as perhaps someone may actually read this and have gone through this and enlighten me on a car that sounds great from the back and not so much from the front

Last edited:

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
It is my understanding that long blocks aren't currently available for the 2018. This is why everyone is just getting a short block.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
That is part of the point of putting this out their as perhaps someone may actually read this and have gone through this and enlighten me on a car that sounds great from the back and not so much from the front
x2. Yup, no one has been able to explain that to me as well. I can accept clicks and chattering, but not obnoxious rattling that most other Mustangs do not have.

orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I havent taken it back yet ; I will be busy for the next few weeks , also just noticed a dent from the last dealer experince ; i will get back to them when i get my time back!!

orangefurygt

Does your 2018 GT Tick?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)

Car has had its first oil change , Motorcraft oil , Motorcraft filter. Before this i had taken it to a second dealer that could not hear the noise, granted the noise seemed to come and go. Now i hear it more than ever.I have emailed my original sales guy to see if i can take it back to them to figure it out. For what its worth I kept the original filter and all of the original oil in a new container. I don't have a cutting tool for the filter........yet
Sponsored

Last edited: