Sponsored

K brace on the 20" wheel option?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm just curious as to why the 20 inch factory wheel option ships with the k brace.
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Just a guess but the 20" wheel/tire combination is pretty heavy and likely puts more stress on the chassis when pushing hard. The K brace strengthens the front subframe to handle the extra stress. Again....just guessing.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
That was my guess too but suspension and chassis stuff gets rather complicated.

I was researching tower strut braces and that when I stumbled on that I have the K brace option. Which would make the tower strut an easier job.

I've seen people mention less body roll after installing the tower strut brace but I've not noticed an issue so far on the street, perhaps because of the K brace?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've seen people mention less body roll after installing the tower strut brace but I've not noticed an issue so far on the street, perhaps because of the K brace?
"People" are imagining things. A strut brace doesn't do anything about body-roll, it helps lessen camber deflection under load.

Body roll would be springs, struts, shocks, anti-roll bars.

A strut brace is a good thing, if you corner hard. Or just to increase body rigidity.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I took a drive down to Steeda today and picked up the strut tower and the hood struts. That's a cool place!

Originally I had wanted an OEM version. But this has more bolt points and the dip stick can still be accessed.

Tropical storm this weekend so I may not get to do the installs.

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
I've got a '16 GT w/o the Performance Pack. I noticed a significant amount of front end instability at speed prior to installing all the front bracing. It may have been partially due to the fact that the car was new to me, but I've routinely done some high speed runs in lesser cars and never experienced what I did.

Adding the tower brace, the firewall brace and the lower brace definitely increased high-speed, straight line stability and my confidence going into corners.

Also, keep in mind, that I live in the land that civilization forgot. So, a road may be straight, but it has bumps, bucks, heaves and many of the other maladies that a barely-paved, country road my have. I'm not talking glass-smooth interstates....

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Steeda was recommending their lower brace to me yesterday when I picked up the tower.

I probably hit full throttle for the first time yesterday merging onto the highway. I think I actually felt a little wheel hop even though I was doing about 30 MPH when I hit the throttle. Hard to tell though as I was a little started by how hard the power came on.
Sponsored