Sponsored

Here’s why the 2018 Mustang GT costs $50,000 (Doug Demuro review)

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It's hard for me to get my head around what's happened with Mustang pricing, thanks to Jim Hackett. I paid $38k for my 2015 GT Premium with PP and some other options. The 2018 is nice, and I'd like to have the extra 25 hp and 20 ft-lb of torque - but not for the $25-$30k on top of my car it would probably cost me (especially when there's only 6k miles on my car).

Hackett is doing a great job of squeezing and milking profits for the short term, at the expense of the future. I think history will look at him the same way Roger Smith is seen for what he did to GM.
Sponsored

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
It's hard for me to get my head around what's happened with Mustang pricing, thanks to Jim Hackett. I paid $38k for my 2015 GT Premium with PP and some other options. The 2018 is nice, and I'd like to have the extra 25 hp and 20 ft-lb of torque - but not for the $25-$30k on top of my car it would probably cost me (especially when there's only 6k miles on my car).

Hackett is doing a great job of squeezing and milking profits for the short term, at the expense of the future. I think history will look at him the same way Roger Smith is seen for what he did to GM.
If you walk in and pay asking price (sticker), you're gonna get screwed. The 2018s really aren't that expensive with a little negotiation. Heck, I paid less than what you did for my '18 GT Premium PP1. Keep in mind, I don't have the extra options you do.

You're always going to get depreciation. With the 2015 still being fairly new, trading up will be extremely painful. The same applies to me with my '18. I'm gonna be driving this for awhile, especially with the depreciation and the fact that it's a daily. You only have 6k miles, but I'll double that in the first year of ownership. ;) Such is life. Gotta pay to play.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
W.T.A.F.? Did he really think the QR codes might be for consumer information?

Sorry couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of the video.

Anyway, don't regret one penny I spent on my 401a PP2. It's worth every one.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
You can't expect that someone who makes like 2 car videos every week can get into detail of every single car so much to know everything. I think he is the best car youtuber out there, since he just has his own simple style and finds a good spot between informations, Humor and real Review.
I'm pretty sure he is more experienced in driving many cars than everybody here, so when he says the interior feels cheap remember that he is comparing it to every other cars. Current Pony cars are fine, but the fake leather (they had to change german brochures from leather to "leather look" because they were sued by customers who found out it was no real leather) in the Mustang is still below premium cars.

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
I love the Recaros but it's true that if you've got a wide ass and short legs then the spacing between the side bolster and the steering wheel can be pretty tight.

I just love the locked in, one with the car feel of the Recaros. It's true that they should have at least power and heat at this price, but I can't imagine doing without them.

The side bolsters in the base seats aren't too bad but the seat bottom felt like the split bench seat out of my dad's Thunderbird. Even on my test drive I was bracing my knee on the door to stay in place.
I agree with the above on the Recaros, I love mine, not only do they look 10X better than the sofa seats, they fit me perfectly personally. I'm 5'11" 210 and when I sit in them they fit like me like a glove. I get that it you a bigger, or smaller it may not work, but for me, I wouldn't do without them. Who needs heated and cooled seats and memory functions, not me.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
He has one of the best review channels on Youtube right now IMO. It's a completely different platform, not boring and very detailed.

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
Doug, like others have said... is definitely one of the most entertaining car reviewers out there. He may not know completely everything about each particular vehicle, but he makes sure to point out the quirky , and more interesting things on a vehicle.

Bonus: GT350R
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]j9z86NZafL0[/MEDIA]"]

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
You can't expect that someone who makes like 2 car videos every week can get into detail of every single car so much to know everything. I think he is the best car youtuber out there, since he just has his own simple style and finds a good spot between informations, Humor and real Review.
I'm pretty sure he is more experienced in driving many cars than everybody here, so when he says the interior feels cheap remember that he is comparing it to every other cars. Current Pony cars are fine, but the fake leather (they had to change german brochures from leather to "leather look" because they were sued by customers who found out it was no real leather) in the Mustang is still below premium cars.
Yeah, the interior does feel cheap. I knew that before getting the car though. It's not a $90K AMG C63.

Things that bother me are:

* The feel of the buttons and switches

* The fake stitching around the center console. It clashes with the real stitching on the fake leather. Once you see it it is hard to unsee.

* Hard plastic panels with visible seams.

* Cheapest owner's manual I've ever seen. But the PDF is nice.

* Sync 3 UI

* Less thought put into intuitive ease of use

However, the Camaro, Corvette, anything Dodge, etc. and are perhaps even worse when it comes to interior fit and finish! Out of the American cars I think the Mustang has the nicest styling.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the interior does feel cheap. I knew that before getting the car though. It's not a $90K AMG C63.

Things that bother me are:

* The feel of the buttons and switches

* The fake stitching around the center console. It clashes with the real stitching on the fake leather. Once you see it it is hard to unsee.

* Hard plastic panels with visible seams.

* Cheapest owner's manual I've ever seen. But the PDF is nice.

* Sync 3 UI

* Less thought put into intuitive ease of use

However, the Camaro, Corvette, anything Dodge, etc. and are perhaps even worse when it comes to interior fit and finish! Out of the American cars I think the Mustang has the nicest styling.
What is the issue with the Sync 3 UI? It's one of the easier to use and better performing infotainment systems available.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
What is the issue with the Sync 3 UI? It's one of the easier to use and better performing infotainment systems available.
I agree. I love using it. It's so minal which I like. It's very smooth, no lag switching around tabs. I love having it on the homescreen with the small nav window/radio bar/phone bar. Most units I've seen just have too much shit going on or look too much like a tablet UI.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm just used to Mercede's Comand and BMW's iDrive. I prefer the dials and touch pads too over the touch screen only approach.

On one level I appreciate the simplicity they were going for on Sync 3. I do the same on the products I make as you need that on a touch based UI. But it just feels like they stopped in the design process after making the initial mock-ups.

I prefer the look of night mode but it cuts the brightness/contrast down too much for daytime use. Night mode actually matches the interior better and the digital instrument cluster. I wish they allowed it to theme with MyColor.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
That is one area I think Ford has the Europeans beat. Infotainment on a new BMW is a PITA.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just used to Mercede's Comand and BMW's iDrive. I prefer the dials and touch pads too over the touch screen only approach.

On one level I appreciate the simplicity they were going for on Sync 3. I do the same on the products I make as you need that on a touch based UI. But it just feels like they stopped in the design process after making the initial mock-ups.

I prefer the look of night mode but it cuts the brightness/contrast down too much for daytime use. Night mode actually matches the interior better and the digital instrument cluster. I wish they allowed it to theme with MyColor.
I would prefer Sync 3 with a dial/wheel control ala Mazda/BMW. Best of both worlds.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I would prefer Sync 3 with a dial/wheel control ala Mazda/BMW. Best of both worlds.
That and perhaps some ability to theme. :) I just can't take that powder blue, lol.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I just came from an Infiniti. The SYNC 3 is so much better than the system in that car.
More user friendly. Voice commands work well. No lag time.

The Infiniti had the dial control on the console. It was okay, but I prefer to use the voice commands.
Sponsored