Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
PP2 was not an afterthought and was absolutely part of the '18 scope from the beginning.
I never said it was. But I get what you're saying. I just don't think that modifying an existing car should take over twice as long as developing a whole new platform

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
And interesting, I was also told by Ford reps that GT350 wouldn't be available for 2019... I guess we'll have to wait and see!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I never said it was. But I get what you're saying. I just don't think that modifying an existing car should take over twice as long as developing a whole new platform
Like Mach has said I think we’ll find out SOMETHING else really special not just the engine and DCT And I think that’ll explain some of the delay.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I sure do hope so... if it's anything like all the renderings, it doesn't seem she'll be much of a looker, so we'll have to hope she has the performance to make it worth it!

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Like Mach has said I think we’ll find out SOMETHING else really special not just the engine and DCT And I think that’ll explain some of the delay.
could also explain the heft I'm hearing. 4100lbs and that maybe with weight reduction.

Rear wheel steering??? Electric motor assist??? IDK but what we know so far doesn't take 5 years IMO.
I'll be impotent by the time she rolls around.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
could also explain the heft I'm hearing. 4100lbs and that maybe with weight reduction.

Rear wheel steering??? Electric motor assist??? IDK but what we know so far doesn't take 5 years IMO
Nope and nope... also, the GT500 development started at the end of 2015 and every “project” like this usually takes 3 years so, nothing wrong with the time.

Btw people, the TR-9007 weights 198lb, which is around 20lb less than the 10R and 50lb heavier than the previous GT500 TR6060.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=33371]Farruko[/MENTION] since you seen to have a lot of knowledge on the car, do you happen to know why they used the 2017 front end? Is it just because the 2018 wasn't at a finished stage when they started work on it?

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
[MENTION=33371]Farruko[/MENTION] since you seen to have a lot of knowledge on the car, do you happen to know why they used the 2017 front end? Is it just because the 2018 wasn't at a finished stage when they started work on it?
Don’t ask me about design, my brother is more up to date with powertrain so... no idea :lol:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It does if it's a going onto a high-volume production line, has significant cost restrictions (it's not a $400k car like the GT), and a lot of what's already there can't be touched or modified. It is very hard to design, develop, iterate design again, develop, validate and launch a vehicle when you have all sorts of constraints like that. Hitting packaging targets and getting manufacturing to sign off on a plan, making sure it cools properly AND performs to targets (all while working within the styling studio's constraints for grille opening, surfaces and shapes).

White sheet is much easier. You can prioritize function and make form work around it. You can make packaging problems just go away, as nothing's been tooled yet. In the case of the GT, you can spec better components, lighter components, better technology, because there isn't a real, hard cost ceiling.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Nope and nope... also, the GT500 development started at the end of 2015 and every “project” like this usually takes 3 years so, nothing wrong with the time.

Btw people, the TR-9007 weights 198lb, which is around 20lb less than the 10R and 50lb heavier than the previous GT500 TR6060.
your math is off Farruko, if they started in 2015 and and shows mid to late 2019, that's 4.5 years! 3 or 4 and it would be here early to late this year.
they are saying mid to late next year, at the end of 2015 it started so that puts it at 3.5
I'd say sleepin on the job;) if there isn't anything that's groundbreaking on the car, I'm gonna write ford a letter
'my baby sent me a letter'

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
your math is off Farruko, if they started in 2015 and and shows mid to late 2019, that's 4.5 years! 3 and it would be here last year. even if it was late 2015 it would be here mid to later this year.
I'd say sleepin on the job;) if there isn't anything that's groundbreaking on the car, I'm gonna write ford a letter
'my baby sent me a letter'
If they started at the very end of 2015 (let’s say November-December) 3 years would be at the end of this year but since they are delayed (maybe because of the transmisión among other things) the launch may be extended a few months (by March it would be 3y and 4-5m.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
If they started at the very end of 2015 (let’s say November-December) 3 years would be at the end of this year but since they are delayed (maybe because of the transmisión among other things) the launch may be extended a few months (by March it would be 3y and 4-5m.
I can confirm, it takes a while.... It's not like "oh, we are planning to offer a new model... let's release it next year". Even for a MCA of a regular car takes around 3 years between the virtual and physical builds.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
so only 6 months off. no big deal,
my penis will most likely have disfunction by then. hahaha

also, why at the end of 2015? I would have thought they would have planned out this GT500 before even engineering the s550, at max right after launch.
maybe I'm just a proactive outfit.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I realize it takes time, I'm just hoping ford gets these out the door and doesn't get sales taken away from it because of the ME Vette. It should be in the same price range to start. I realize its different strokes for different folks but the vettes performance is going to be outstanding and the price will be similar. Fords my team, hate so see them take one in the nuts.
Sponsored