Sponsored

Camber / Toe Settings to Reduce Tarmlining with Offset Wheels?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Primarily a street car, but some Auto X for fun. I'm currently running the factory PP wheels and Pirellie tires. After having spent most of the winter, all of the spring and some of the summer with my RTR Tech 7 wheels and Pilot Sport tires, I noticed how much the PP GT seems to tramline compared to my Ecoboost with the same tires and wheels (but different springs / struts and sway-bar setup).

Both cars are lowered however the GT's front is a little more aggressively lowered with BMR SP080 springs vs. the Ford Performance Street X springs I had on the EB. I do have MM caster / camber plates installed so there's plenty I can adjust. Just wondering if anyone has been able to reduce tram-lining with wider off-set wheels.

Obviously increasing the scrub radius is going to induce some tram lining, but seems like my GT does it more than the Ecoboost did. I have no noticeably tram lining with the stock offset PP wheels and Pirellie Tire combo (although traction has dropped dramatically, sad the Zero's have less traction than Michelin All Seasons!). I have NOT yet gotten an alignment done with the GT, just wondering what Camber / Toe settings yall are using with 19" wide off-set wheels that works well for street and occasional auto X and if that helped with tram lining at all. I'm thinking the camber angle is a little too aggressive up front with the 1.2" drop as I set the camber plates dead in the middle, I'm guessing there's close to 2 degrees of camber, no idea what toe angle is either, but typically toe increases with compression of the suspension doesn't it?

It's not severe, but enough to sometimes be annoying and makes the car suddenly pull to one side with the road imperfections.

I'm running a 4-square setup of 19x9.5 RTR Tech 7 flow formed wheels. I believe the off-set is +33 on the 9.5's. This is the wheel but in black, I bought them from AM as a set originally with Pilot Sport AS3+'s which are now about bald and on the front inner should completely bald: https://www.mountunestore.com/products/rtr-tech-7-charcoal-wheel-19x9-5-15-17-all

Maybe with a 33 offset it won't get any better than it is, it's always a fight to balance feed-back vs. drive ability, but figured I'd ask.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just for reference, stock PP wheel specs:

Wheel Specs and Dimensions:
Size: 19" x 9" (Front) 19” x 9.5” (Rear)
Lugs: 5-Lug (5 x 114.3mm/5 x 4.5")
Finish: Matte Black
Backspacing: 165.8mm (Front) 179.7mm (Rear)
Offset: +45mm (Front) +52.5mm (Rear)
Center Caps: Included

So the rear wheels are out towards the fender quite a bit as both the RTR's and PP rear's are 9.5 wide, but the RTR's have 15 mm greater off-set.

Front's are not as aggressive with 12 mm off-set compared to stock. Overall the car's track width in the front increases by a little less than 1 inch and a little more than one inch in the rear.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You might want to try 0.10 degree toe in on the front wheels and less negative camber overall. Tires can also be a big factor. If the tires are worn - in combination with aggressive negative camber you're going to have a lot more tramlining. New tires goes along way, as does a more standard alignment.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Your tramlining is due to lowering the vehicle and feeling the resulting toe-out. I personally prefer a bit more toe-in on my alignment at .12. I like the extra stability for very high speeds though you’ll be fine at half of that.

For reference, I have -2.0 camber all around with 1” spaced PP wheels/Pirellis and really enjoy the feel and feedback. Most folks like a bit less negative camber in the rear to secure straight-line traction.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Zero toe, or even very slight toe-in works great for stability and tire wear. Only time I'd consider toe-out would be for a car that gets tracked heavily as it increases turn in a bit.

For camber, anything around -2* will provide good handling and not wear out the tires (assuming toe is in check).

Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Didn't wanna really make a new thread but same thing happened to me when I got new wheels and tires. Have an offset of +40 all around with 10" and 285 tires. What's the best way to go about reducing tramlining? -2 camber with .12 to .10 toe in all around?

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Didn't wanna really make a new thread but same thing happened to me when I got new wheels and tires. Have an offset of +40 all around with 10" and 285 tires. What's the best way to go about reducing tramlining? -2 camber with .12 to .10 toe in all around?
What tire pressures are you running? Those are pretty solid alignment specs. When going with wide tires up front, it's hard to avoid tramlining and alignment settings can only do so much. Nature of the beast

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
What tire pressures are you running? Those are pretty solid alignment specs. When going with wide tires up front, it's hard to avoid tramlining and alignment settings can only do so much. Nature of the beast
Yeah I figured. I'm running 35 PSI but once they get hot in this summer weather they can get up to 40.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I figured. I'm running 35 PSI but once they get hot in this summer weather they can get up to 40.
Take some pressure out; the goal is 36psi when the tires are warm (at least this is my preference).

0.05 - 0.12 toe-in will help your tramlining.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Tire pressure, toe and slight caster may help. I have a mild 0.7 front neg camber but more in the rear to -1.8 & -1.5. I go Saturday to Firestone to reset it to -1.5 front -1.3 rear for research in grip on launch. When you adjust the camber on a sportscar, you must Drive it. It won't just hold the road as it will when there is very little camber. Drive the car.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
im 1.6 neg camber front, o toe.... 1.5 rear neg camber rear..slight toe in on rear he did pp setings for total toe like .12 on either side .. which came out to .24 if im correct . only im running stock pp rims with 23mm spacers front and 20mm rear . 255/40 front..285/40 rear tires.. and it does well for street use. with as+3 tires
Sponsored