Steering feel / play

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Hi everyone, so I have noticed that I have some play in my steering wheel very similar to what was mentioned by [MENTION=24548]kairojya[/MENTION] in the GT350 section of the forums (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69464&highlight=steering). I did tighten the steering column dash seal nuts and have not had the chance to check the torque screws that are in the engine bay that go into the steering column itself.

However, I have also noticed that while driving that even if I keep the car in one particular steering mode, the feel of the steering changes quite drastically.

For example, today I was in sport mode and when I started driving, the steering was quite tight, but loosened up as I drove, then tightened back up.

Any ideas? Suggestions on what this could be.

This problem occurs in all steering modes...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
I’m having the same problem. Had the alignment checked and all suspension checked. Everything is good, steering column had a bit of movement in it. It was a quick check up and the mechanic said ford would probably cover it.

Curious to see about other people with this problem and any other possible causes though

Last edited:
OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I’m having the same problem. Had the alignment checked and all suspension checked. Everything is good, steering column had a but of movement in it. It was a quick check up and the mechanic said ford would probably cover it.

Curious to see about other people with this problem and any other possible causes though
Out of curiosity, d do you have your stock steering wheel or did you install the GT350 or GT350R wheel? If so, did you tighten the steering wheel nut with an impact wrench or by hand. I have a feeling our steering wheel retaining nuts are loose. I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have them look at it.

Edit: checked steering wheel retaining nut, was not loose, but tightened it a little with an impact wrench. Still having the problem. Going to have ford check steering column bolts for proper torque tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I am very conscience over this sort of thing, and let me caution that the roads themselves or your tire temperature may be to blame.

Certain types/materials of road can give the sensation of a larger dead-spot in the steering, as can the crowning of the road. Without a doubt, cold summer tires (I can speak for Pirelli/Michelin PSS on the Mustang, Corvette and BMWs) also give this illusion until the compound is warm.

Before you tear your car apart, I recommend taking a long drive. Get the tires good and warm and hit a few different sections of road. Also, try to stay under 60mph to keep lift out of the equation. Keep the steering in Sport. If you still feel you have an issue then so be it: off to the dealer.

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, d do you have your stock steering wheel or did you install the GT350 or GT350R wheel? If so, did you tighten the steering wheel nut with an impact wrench or by hand. I have a feeling our steering wheel retaining nuts are loose. I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have them look at it.

Edit: checked steering wheel retaining nut, was not loose, but tightened it a little with an impact wrench. Still having the problem. Going to have ford check steering column bolts for proper torque tomorrow morning.
I have the stock wheel. Haven’t installed the gt350 one yet. Let me know how that goes though and if that solves your problem!

Sponsored

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am very conscience over this sort of thing, and let me caution that the roads themselves or your tire temperature may be to blame.

Certain types/materials of road can give the sensation of a larger dead-spot in the steering, as can the crowning of the road. Without a doubt, cold summer tires (I can speak for Pirelli/Michelin PSS on the Mustang, Corvette and BMWs) also give this illusion until the compound is warm.

Before you tear your car apart, I recommend taking a long drive. Get the tires good and warm and hit a few different sections of road. Also, try to stay under 60mph to keep lift out of the equation. Keep the steering in Sport. If you still feel you have an issue then so be it: off to the dealer.
Good points. I’ll make sure to look into this :thumbsup:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had to have my steering rack replaced (and I paid $1,000 because I was 1,500 miles out of warranty; Ford paid $500) to fix my steering issues, including these symptoms. I have been told by a few reputable sources that the early 2015 steering racks (some of which made it to early-built 2016 cars, like mine) had issues. My new steering rack has a different part number, apparently -- the same one that's in the 2018 GT PP2.

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to have my steering rack replaced (and I paid $1,000 because I was 1,500 miles out of warranty; Ford paid $500) to fix my steering issues, including these symptoms. I have been told by a few reputable sources that the early 2015 steering racks (some of which made it to early-built 2016 cars, like mine) had issues. My new steering rack has a different part number, apparently -- the same one that's in the 2018 GT PP2.
I'm lowered on coilovers. Anyone know if I'll run into issues with it being covered?

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Ok...partialy unrelated to the topic, but something important to know. In checking my steering wheel nut, I found that my steering wheel wiring harness had frayed, and was causing a ground short. So I ended up temporarily replacing that harness with the one that came with the GT 350 wheel originally (manual transmission harness) as a temporary measure (just ordered essentially a brand new wheel with harness for $75...thank you e-bay).

I have also noticed that since I re-installed the wheel, the problem is gone...so it was probably the steering wheel retaining bolt. We will have to see :D