Sponsored

Well guys I think it finally happened

Husk_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Car is billowing smoke when its at a stop but clears when I drive. It was super hot the other day driving home and I had to merge and got on it a bit and whelp I think it went kaboom lol. I have a UPR dual catch can, stage one ots cobb tune, downpipe, exhaust. The car is still drive able not over heating or odd sounds and maintains boost without any issue. What are the odds of it being a head gasket and would that be an easy fix for myself to do? Need to start looking for options since this is my daily and don't have another vehicle. The car is obviously not going to stand under warranty so I'm kind of at a loss on how to proceed.
Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
My Focus RS had the same thing happen. It was the head gasket and the overflow tank smelled like exhaust with black specs in it. The EB mustang and the RS have almost identical motors.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Reverse it to stock now and proceed from there .

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Car is billowing smoke when its at a stop but clears when I drive. It was super hot the other day driving home and I had to merge and got on it a bit and whelp I think it went kaboom lol. I have a UPR dual catch can, stage one ots cobb tune, downpipe, exhaust. The car is still drive able not over heating or odd sounds and maintains boost without any issue. What are the odds of it being a head gasket and would that be an easy fix for myself to do? Need to start looking for options since this is my daily and don't have another vehicle. The car is obviously not going to stand under warranty so I'm kind of at a loss on how to proceed.
I had something nearly identical to what your describing. when i would come to a stop smoke would just pour out from the engine. After inspection I noticed ample amounts of oil / coolant on the side of the block. The fluids were falling onto the downpipe and vaporizing. I took it right to ford and told them my valve cover was doing what it was doing. they determined it was a factory defective valve cover and it was replaced. I realize your on a Cobb tune but I would call your dealership and tell them the situation. ask to speak to the service adviser and when you go in bring donuts for the service desk. Cross your fingers and hope they ignore that your tuned.

Best of luck

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
Where is the smoke coming from? If you are getting smoke out the exhaust when idling good chances are it is the turbo oil seals that have let go. Is the smoke white, does it have a slight blue tinge?

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
put it back to stock before talking to any dealer, regardless if its an unrelated issue. Your dealer may seen "cool" and say they are mod friendly when you buy the car, then when you mod it and have an issue, they turn "uncool" real fast when they have to pay for something. Let them figure out if you were tuned/had any mods. Good luck!

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55

2015, so likely out of warranty. I'ma gonna guess with your mods you do not have an extended one. I would go with the grabber yoke on this one, and pull the head and inspect/replace gasket. If it's worse then you have issues, if that is it, it's it.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
#1 check your oil for coolant, make sure its either clean if there is any coolant in there, do not drive the car, its a quick way to spin a bearing.

#2 return the tune to stock and swap out that catchcan, drive it for a bit if no oil in coolant, if the DP is catless also return that to stock, the other mods should be ok if you plan on hitting a dealer.

#3 if you know someone with a pressure gauge check your cyl head pressure in each cyl. (checking for compromised gasket near piston).

Personally I tend to just take my car in as is at my particular dealer they are not super strict on the mods but head gaskets are a relatively easy fix on an inline 4. You may want to hit a good local shop and just pay to have it checked and done provided you are clear on your oil.

OP
OP

Husk_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Thanks everyone for the responses! I looked everything over and no oil or coolant where it shouldn't be! The fins of the turbo seem to have gone to shit so Im under the assumption that the turbo is the culprit with the seals throwing the oil. I noticed it doesn't smoke on startup until I give it throttle or start moving which I'm guessing puts oil through the turbo and initiates the smoke? Temps stay fine and no hesitations while its sitting at idle. Going to order new turbo internals and go from there. Ill pull everything apart and do further pressure tests and take the valve cover off just in case to make sure I don't miss anything.

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for the responses! I looked everything over and no oil or coolant where it shouldn't be! The fins of the turbo seem to have gone to shit so Im under the assumption that the turbo is the culprit with the seals throwing the oil. I noticed it doesn't smoke on startup until I give it throttle or start moving which I'm guessing puts oil through the turbo and initiates the smoke? Temps stay fine and no hesitations while its sitting at idle. Going to order new turbo internals and go from there. Ill pull everything apart and do further pressure tests and take the valve cover off just in case to make sure I don't miss anything.
Yup if the fins are done for you definitely need to find out where any materials went as its next stop is intake/Pistons.

If you know someone with a scope so you can check out cylinder walls its a good place to start. Do you have oil sitting at the inducer wheel? Good sign of where the oil is coming from (seals).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Getting the car back to stock doesn’t mean a thing... it HAS a TUNE... Ford can tell if the vehicle has had a TUNE...this has been discussed many times. Cool Dealer or not, if there is a Tune, it’s going to come up in the diagnostics.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Getting the car back to stock doesn’t mean a thing... it HAS a TUNE... Ford can tell if the vehicle has had a TUNE...this has been discussed many times. Cool Dealer or not, if there is a Tune, it’s going to come up in the diagnostics.
Missed that - my bad!

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Hey, since the turbo's already blown, might want to take the opportunity to run Sea Foam through the intake before taking the car in :D
Sponsored