Sponsored

Upgrading base sound system - Best Method?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
If you’re going to go with something on a budget stick with JL amplifiers and subwoofers. Their a good solid brand with good customer service. Like buying a GE washer or something. Is it cutting edge? No, is it dependable? Yes. Fi subs are overrated boutique subs that had their minute in the car Audio sun almost 8 years ago. I wasted plenty on them o my to be disappointed time and again. There are better choices these days. Zenclosures are cheap which is nice, but they are heavy. You really have to decide if you want trunk space or sound. It sounds like you want an affordable upgrade that isn’t going to break the $1000 mark. Don’t just shop Crutchfield, make some local connections with people who compete, I understand that you don’t however, listening to good sound makes choosing gear based on your ears perception much easier than relying on a forum.
A car Audio proverb “ Trust your ears, but only once you learn how to listen.”
I couldn't disagree more, I've been extremely happy with every Fi sub I've owned. But I agree that sound is extremely subjective. Everyone's opinion will vary and what sounds great to some will sound like trash to others, and vice versa. I've had so many people all hyped up to show me how good their system sounded when it was so hard to not tell them that it was horrible. Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300-12/

Fits neatly against the back seat, has the amp built in. All you need is a power kit (to get power to the sub) and tap into the rear speakers for the input signal. :clap2:
This is a good find! I got experience with Rockford Fosgate systems so I will know more of what to expect in terms of sound. I was able to find that same sub for $50 cheaper which makes it a good deal @ $250.

Is this wiring kit good enough for the application?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575RFK8/Rockford-Fosgate-RFK8.html

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the plethora of information. I've been looking into all options, if anything to just get more familiar with car audio in general. Appreciate all the help!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
This is a good find! I got experience with Rockford Fosgate systems so I will know more of what to expect in terms of sound. I was able to find that same sub for $50 cheaper which makes it a good deal @ $250.

Yes that wiring would be sufficient. I'm a big Rockford fan myself but keep in mind that is a very entry level kit so I wouldn't expect too much out of it. It may be enough for what you're looking for though.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

Yes, an 8 gauge will be just fine for that setup. I used the 10" version in my car for a couple of months before I redid the entire setup with Hertz Mille Legend tweets, 3's, 6.5's, Audison Voce AV12 Sub driven by a couple of Hertz ML power 4 amps. :cheers:

Sponsored

rich67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford mustang gt
Since I'm an audio file idiot..where do you pick off the audio signal for the amp in this base system? /do you have to take the dash apart to get at the radio. or can you get the signal from the rear speaker leads, as an example.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Since I'm an audio file idiot..where do you pick off the audio signal for the amp in this base system? /do you have to take the dash apart to get at the radio. or can you get the signal from the rear speaker leads, as an example.
The rear speaker leads are not a good place to grab the signal (as they have bass roll-off). The best place (in the 9 speaker system) is to pull the signal from the head unit that comes into the amp. The amp is located in the driver's side kick panel. That signal is low level. Another option is to grab the high level signal off the amp that runs to the 6.5 door speaker. Depending on if you need a low level or speaker level output, you have two good options.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I use the rear speaker leads on the base system and the bass roll off isn't that bad. I suggest people try it and see if it works for them.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear speaker leads are not a good place to grab the signal (as they have bass roll-off). The best place (in the 9 speaker system) is to pull the signal from the head unit that comes into the amp. The amp is located in the driver's side kick panel. That signal is low level. Another option is to grab the high level signal off the amp that runs to the 6.5 door speaker. Depending on if you need a low level or speaker level output, you have two good options.
I think you told me I could tap into the rear speakers when I said I had the 9 speaker system. I'm ok with pulling it from the head unit, but I got to get a pro to do the install. I'm assuming thats gonna be a lot more labor intensive for sure. I'll get a quote in the next coming weeks, debating on doing this or a Lund tune first

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Sorry if I missed it, but with a base system, no sub, if I were to upgrade and do a sub and amp, would pulling signal from the rear speakers be ok in that scenario?

Sponsored

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Sorry if I missed it, but with a base system, no sub, if I were to upgrade and do a sub and amp, would pulling signal from the rear speakers be ok in that scenario?
I don't know about the base system. I only worked on mine which is a 9 speaker system. Anyone else with a base system care to chime in?

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I think you told me I could tap into the rear speakers when I said I had the 9 speaker system. I'm ok with pulling it from the head unit, but I got to get a pro to do the install. I'm assuming thats gonna be a lot more labor intensive for sure. I'll get a quote in the next coming weeks, debating on doing this or a Lund tune first
You can pull from the rear speakers but I am certain they roll off the bass. Pulling a full signal from the front 6.5's is better in my opinion.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Pulling from the ACM is always the best solution as it's well documented where the output on the ACM is.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
12" Kicker Comp S sub w/generic ported box
300w Kicker Amp under the carpet
Have a bass knob under the steering wheel
Less than $300 and it hits hard
picture.jpg
that looks good! How’d You mount it so it doesn’t move if you don’t mind my asking? Also, sorry for reviving an old thread, just looking to add some bass as well.

BetOnBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Base, M/T
You can pull from the rear speakers but I am certain they roll off the bass. Pulling a full signal from the front 6.5's is better in my opinion.
Since this thread got revived, you can totally tap the rear speaker wire for a subwoofer. You can turn off the bass roll-off through Forscan. If you upgrade the speakers too, it improves their bass as well.
Sponsored