Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
So I went to the SVT dealer, they said go back to my dealer and let them deal with it since it was already documented there (I assume because they get paid less for warranty work).

I went to my dealer and went straight to the service manager this time. We sat down and he said Ford has advised dealers NOT TO LOOK INTO THE RATTLE. Ford is very aware of the issues, they are also aware that its a huge topic on forums right now. Now he gave me an explanation on why he thinks the car rattles. I am not a gear-head and the explanation was over my head. But from what I gathered, it was something to do with the variable valve train. He stated there is a slight delay in response which is cause the rattle (or something along those lines). He also stated the delay had to do with the switch in systems (I assume injection). He said Ford is working on a TSB that should be out in the fall. He assumed it would be a simple programming fix. Now I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's what he told me. He also confirmed THERE ARE ALOT of complaints about the same rattle in all coyotes including the F-150s.

In terms of the knocking noise, he stated thats the fuel being pumped in which causes the sound. I actually looked at the manual again to see what it stated about fuel. It actually states "Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage". So maybe this is not a huge issue, I do not hear it all the time and it's definitely a light knocking sound.

Side note, he said reasons like this are why cars will be going electric one day (I am scared of this as well, wanted my 5.0 before it was too late). He pleaded that I take care of this car cause V8s will be gone one day. He suggested I switch to full synthetic and go 92+ octane. Quick question, in Canada I have three primary choices. 93 and 94 with 10% ethanol or 91 with 0% ethanol. I originally started with the 93 but I just switched to the 91 to avoid the ethanol. I kept reading the ethanol causes corrosion long term but this goes against what he said in terms of octane (I forgot to ask about 91 specifically while I was there). Am I wrong, is the 93 and 94 better long term regardless of the ethanol content?
Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question, in Canada I have three primary choices. 93 and 94 with 10% ethanol or 91 with 0% ethanol. I originally started with the 93 but I just switched to the 91 to avoid the ethanol. I kept reading the ethanol causes corrosion long term but this goes against what he said in terms of octane (I forgot to ask about 91 specifically while I was there). Am I wrong, is the 93 and 94 better long term regardless of the ethanol content?

Thanks for the Input.Same Thoughts here on my German Side. V8 will be gone in some years according to the left and greennazi Government that rules unther Merkel and its Vasalles.not only is this government changing the people by letting millions of muslims into the country (20% are muslims here already). No, in 2021 all new cars have to be unther 90microgramm CO2 pollution per km. so the V8 will be banned in my beloved germany.
it pollutes just too much.

the green nazis are aware that there is only 0,038% co2 in the air. but hey, who cares. most people are dump as sheit and careless or greenleft. would be nice if SOMEONE could just invade us again to bring FREEDOM. Dont go to Afghanistan , come to Berlin. Would appreciate that and I have good Beer in the Fridge. ANYONE? Hell I would even welcome the National Guard of ONE US-State. Lets say Kentucky. I have heard they burn a good Schnapps. Do the Amish in pensylvania have a Army to invade us?? Better riding real Horses than be ruled by green, left Merkel.
Ok the question of the gas. we only can get 95 octane gas and above here. there is 95 with 5% ethanol and 95 with 10% ethanol. i use 95 with 5%.there is premium gas with 100 octane with sero ethanol for sports cars like Porsches. but is extreme expensive and the pony likes 95. cheers from Berlin.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
Thanks for the Input.Same Thoughts here on my German Side. V8 will be gone in some years according to the left and greennazi Government that rules unther Merkel and its Vasalles.not only is this government changing the people by letting millions of muslims into the country (20% are muslims here already). No, in 2021 all new cars have to be unther 90microgramm CO2 pollution per km. so the V8 will be banned in my beloved germany.
it pollutes just too much.

the green nazis are aware that there is only 0,038% co2 in the air. but hey, who cares. most people are dump as sheit and careless or greenleft. would be nice if SOMEONE could just invade us again to bring FREEDOM. Dont go to Afghanistan , come to Berlin. Would appreciate that and I have good Beer in the Fridge. ANYONE? Hell I would even welcome the National Guard of ONE US-State. Lets say Kentucky. I have heard they burn a good Schnapps. Do the Amish in pensylvania have a Army to invade us?? Better riding real Horses than be ruled by green, left Merkel.
Ok the question of the gas. we only can get 95 octane gas and above here. there is 95 with 5% ethanol and 95 with 10% ethanol. i use 95 with 5%.there is premium gas with 100 octane with sero ethanol for sports cars like Porsches. but is extreme expensive and the pony likes 95. cheers from Berlin.
I am not anti Muslims or anything but my pen pal and friends stationed in Germany say that things are turning for the worse with all the Muslim folk coming in. They don't want to drop their ridiculous habits and punch women in the face when they speak.

Any who.... I'd move to Germany to help out but everybody yells and I can't stand yelling. :gossip:

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I'll be selling my intake and bdx tuner. Both new with tunes installed.

Package deal of 600 and free shipping should do good.

Still waiting to see if Ford covers my corsa exhaust of if I have to take it off.

As for the noises.... There are 2 noises for those of you joining.
1 is piston slap and the other is something else. I think we should focus on the piston slap. The one that is causing confirmed cylinder scoring.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I'll be selling my intake and bdx tuner. Both new with tunes installed.

Package deal of 600 and free shipping should do good.

Still waiting to see if Ford covers my corsa exhaust of if I have to take it off.

As for the noises.... There are 2 noises for those of you joining.
1 is piston slap and the other is something else. I think we should focus on the piston slap. The one that is causing confirmed cylinder scoring.
So are we saying the rattle = piston slap = confirmed cylinder scoring?

Also I got sick of waiting, I decided to add the H-Pipe so I can atleast enjoy the car until more info is out on this shit. We have less rights here in Canada lol, ain't no lemon law. So I'll have to wait this out. I am going to put off the suspension and cosmetic upgrades I had planned until next Summer. Hopefully by then there is a fix or something and I'll feel better about dumping more money into the car. For now the car still drives great (minus the clutch thing) and with the H-pipe, sounds much better from the cabin :thumbsup:

Sponsored

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I am not anti Muslims or anything but my pen pal and friends stationed in Germany say that things are turning for the worse with all the Muslim folk coming in. They don't want to drop their ridiculous habits and punch women in the face when they speak.

Any who.... I'd move to Germany to help out but everybody yells and I can't stand yelling. :gossip:
haha, I understand that you feel like everybody is yelling here. well thats just a feeling. it is a harsh language we use. very old and gothic. comming from the germanic tribes who lived all over north europe 2000 years ago.

well if you are someday in berlin, let me know. I show you my Stang and we´ll have a Beer.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
So are we saying the rattle = piston slap = confirmed cylinder scoring?

Also I got sick of waiting, I decided to add the H-Pipe so I can atleast enjoy the car until more info is out on this shit. We have less rights here in Canada lol, ain't no lemon law. So I'll have to wait this out. I am going to put off the suspension and cosmetic upgrades I had planned until next Summer. Hopefully by then there is a fix or something and I'll feel better about dumping more money into the car. For now the car still drives great (minus the clutch thing) and with the H-pipe, sounds much better from the cabin :thumbsup:
I am saying that if your noise is like mine or Big Rivers that it is piston slap and scoring will be the result.

And yea an H pipe turns that exhaust into a beast. I was actually shocked at the lack of difference in tone when i put on my corsa exhaust. Didn't get much louder however drone was gone and normal mode sounded awesome.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I am saying that if your noise is like mine or Big Rivers that it is piston slap and scoring will be the result.
I think evidence so far seems to suggest that and if that is the case. A simple "2018 engine rattle" search on Youtube shows there are plenty of people with this problem, manual and auto. If we all have scoring then Ford is screwed and so are we for that matter.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I went to the SVT dealer, they said go back to my dealer and let them deal with it since it was already documented there (I assume because they get paid less for warranty work).

I went to my dealer and went straight to the service manager this time. We sat down and he said Ford has advised dealers NOT TO LOOK INTO THE RATTLE. Ford is very aware of the issues, they are also aware that its a huge topic on forums right now. Now he gave me an explanation on why he thinks the car rattles. I am not a gear-head and the explanation was over my head. But from what I gathered, it was something to do with the variable valve train. He stated there is a slight delay in response which is cause the rattle (or something along those lines). He also stated the delay had to do with the switch in systems (I assume injection). He said Ford is working on a TSB that should be out in the fall. He assumed it would be a simple programming fix. Now I don't know if that makes sense or not, but that's what he told me. He also confirmed THERE ARE ALOT of complaints about the same rattle in all coyotes including the F-150s.

?
Thx for the update!
Did the service manager tell you anything that the valve train noise causes any damage until it is fixed via some software update ?

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I think evidence so far seems to suggest that and if that is the case. A simple "2018 engine rattle" search on Youtube shows there are plenty of people with this problem, manual and auto. If we all have scoring then Ford is screwed and so are we for that matter.

This is whats starting to scare me. If it is an engineering flaw that takes time to really manifest damage, say 10-20k miles before damage really starts to show then we are SCREWED. There is no way Ford is going to eat the cost to replace/recall all the 5.0 engines. Dont they sell something stupid like 3k f150s a day? Ford will wiggle out of it no matter what.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
This is whats starting to scare me. If it is an engineering flaw that takes time to really manifest damage, say 10-20k miles before damage really starts to show then we are SCREWED. There is no way Ford is going to eat the cost to replace/recall all the 5.0 engines. Dont they sell something stupid like 3k f150s a day? Ford will wiggle out of it no matter what.
You have a 60k powertrain warranty..... Ford has to abide by that or they can face legal action. As long as you do not get a tune or have a WRITTEN agreement with the dealer stating that they have identified the noise before the tune and agree not to "void" the warranty if there is an issue down the road you are covered. STOP getting worked up over the issue. If it is indeed a design or manufacturing issue that will cause a problem down the road, your warranty covers you.

Personally I think this thread needs to closed since all I see coming from it now are increasingly rash and overblown reactions... It is nice to have the issue documented but the panic it is causing is becoming ridiculous... :crazy::shrug:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Nope. Still nothing wrong with these cars. Lol.

Ok if it's something to do with the vvt why us it so loud when cold?
Any engine noise will be louder when cold due to oil viscosity being high... This explanation of something in the VVT confirms my findings earlier of my rattle coming from the top front of the cylinder heads.... That being said, we could still be talking about multiple noise sources that all sound the same. We have all assumed that the cylinder "scoring" was the cause of the rattle when it could be an entirely separate issue.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
You have a 60k powertrain warranty..... Ford has to abide by that or they can face legal action. As long as you do not get a tune or have a WRITTEN agreement with the dealer stating that they have identified the noise before the tune and agree not to "void" the warranty if there is an issue down the road you are covered. STOP getting worked up over the issue. If it is indeed a design or manufacturing issue that will cause a problem down the road, your warranty covers you.

Personally I think this thread needs to closed since all I see coming from it now are increasingly rash and overblown reactions... It is nice to have the issue documented but the panic it is causing is becoming ridiculous... :crazy::shrug:
What rash and overblown reactions? We are just a bunch of owners of brand new cars that are making odd noises. :headbonk:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
What rash and overblown reactions? We are just a bunch of owners of brand new cars that are making odd noises. :headbonk:
Getting scared about Ford not honoring their warranty because the “issue” is to wide spread is a bit much to me.... Going to multiple dealerships and complaining until one finally agrees to the repair YOU are requesting without listening to what they have to say is a bit rash to me.... Getting the idea that a small tick that has been common in coyotes since 2011 is somehow a sign of a damaged engine is a bit much.

The point I am trying to make here is that a lot here have jumped from it being a simple abnormal noise to a disastrous engine flaw that needs to be corrected right this second without any confirmation it’s an issue to begin with. It’s a DOHC V8 with DI and 12:1 compression. It’s going to make some noises... Try not to freak out when it does and note the noise and know that if it is an issue, you have 60k miles to have it corrected.....

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Getting scared about Ford not honoring their warranty because the “issue” is to wide spread is a bit much to me.... Going to multiple dealerships and complaining until one finally agrees to the repair YOU are requesting without listening to what they have to say is a bit rash to me.... Getting the idea that a small tick that has been common in coyotes since 2011 is somehow a sign of a damaged engine is a bit much.

The point I am trying to make here is that a lot here have jumped from it being a simple abnormal noise to a disastrous engine flaw that needs to be corrected right this second without any confirmation it’s an issue to begin with. It’s a DOHC V8 with DI and 12:1 compression. It’s going to make some noises... Try not to freak out when it does and note the noise and know that if it is an issue, you have 60k miles to have it corrected.....
We can all agree its not normal. I get what you are saying but you dont see yourself being rash? People dont need the push back on this thread added on to the push back they get from the dealer. Most dealers are saying its normal because they are lazy. Did they not turn away the Ford Focus RS issue?

Anywho.... You make valid points. Just relax and ignore this thread. No need to be rash and overblow the 60K warranty reminders. :love:
Sponsored