Sponsored

How to remove 17 gt mirror caps?

RileyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Gt PP
Anyone know how to remove the stock mirror caps on a 17 gt so I can wrap them off the car. Tried searching and found a whole lot of nothing.
Sponsored

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
It helps to have trim removal tools, but these basically just "pop" off if you pull on them with even pressure away from the mirrors. I've removed mine a couple times.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Here are replacement carbon fiber covers, so they are removable. Picture doesn't show the inside of the cover for tab locations though.
https://carbonplug.com/s550carbon/carbon-fiber-mirror-caps

According to this, there's a screw and 3 tabs holding the cap in place. Have to remove the mirror glass and mirror adjusting motor to get to the screw.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75848&d=1462679315

Here is a video of an installation of a new mirror glass, which shows the inside of the mirror. It looks like it's fairly easy to do.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic...-mirror-glass-pair-premium-2015-2018/p/EMG2P/
mirror-cap.jpg

Last edited:

Ashpian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
There is no screw holding the cap in place. You just pull them off with a little bit of force and they snap back on. I’ve had mine off a few times to have them wrapped.

OP
OP
RileyZ

RileyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. I was able to just pop them off

Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
How did you put them back on? I've tried aligning the inner side first, and the outer side first. Neither way will stay on.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been trying to get this mirror cap on and it won't stay. I don't think I broke any clips when I took it off. It's a mirror with the turn signal. Anyone have any videos how it's supposed to pop back on?

OP
OP
RileyZ

RileyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I've been trying to get this mirror cap on and it won't stay. I don't think I broke any clips when I took it off. It's a mirror with the turn signal. Anyone have any videos how it's supposed to pop back on?
They just snap back in 1-2-3. Nothing special I took mine off twice now. I would double check you didn't snap something

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Hi Riley, for our sakes since you have done this several times, can you just do a short video? I could do it pretty easily on my '11 but not even sure where to start pulling on it.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I was having the issue of putting it back on because of the way I wrapped the vinyl around the edges. It had too much creasing underneath and was not sitting flush, which didn’t allow the clip to click in. After trimming it so it’s newrly flat, it clicked in easier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RileyZ

RileyZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Riley, for our sakes since you have done this several times, can you just do a short video? I could do it pretty easily on my '11 but not even sure where to start pulling on it.
Start from the bottom and pull up. Takes a fair amount of force but they pop right off

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does the factory mirror cap have clips or say “edging” that slips in or snaps into and behind the edge of the black area of the mirror assembly?

Any pics of a removed cap? The Ford Tech drawing affixed to this thread does not help with my question... thx!

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase