Sponsored

Exhuast Sound Kills Elderly?

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Two things come to mind: One is there is noise and then there are sounds.

I can't believe I'm saying this after all these years of crazy mufflers, but, after 50 years around jet engines and my own exhaust sounds and noises, a very loud exhaust can actually be painful. And as a blanket statement to you guys, protect your hearing. Once you screw up your hearing, you can't get it back. And it sux.
Yup, I’d pay anything to get rid of my tinnitus........it is relentless.
Sponsored

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Yup, I’d pay anything to get rid of my tinnitus........it is relentless.
Indeed, sometimes when I actually can fall asleep, I can't hear my alarm go off! its like a very high pitched whistle, or horn, and sometimes it goes to my heartbeat....

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The elderly typically just love to complain about things. I'm fortunate to have many old family members still alive, and whenever I visit I find that the majority of their conversations are negative in general. I smile and listen, because I know that there is really nothing else that they have control over anymore.

My 84 year old grandmother constantly complains about "kids" driving loud cars in the neighborhood. My 86 year old grandfather secretly wishes that he could have a big truck with a large V8 again.
Yep, everyone eventually will become "old" in their life unless they die young for some reason. And all the people bitching about old people today will be bitched about when they become old someday. What goes around comes around. ;)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The noise I personally dislike are the Harleys with loud exhaust. Either way, we need to allow others to have some freedom to enjoy a free society.
I've got a jackass Harley guy who always has to rev his bike for some reason ... I think he believe it makes him "cooler" for some reason. Instead, it makes him look like a neighborhood moron instead. Go rev your loud car or bike up outside the neighborhood you live in.

Sponsored

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Last Christmas I went to visit mum she is in her 80,s and we don’t get to see her much,
So we take her out for dinner to the local tavern, on the way she asked what would you like for Christmas, I dunno mum maybe a new steering wheel, what’s wrong with the one you have?
I Replied it doesn’t have a red stripe at the top, she said let me think about it,
Well after dinner when we get home Mum gets out of the car looks at me and said “I know what I’ll
Get you for Christmas now, Whats that Mum? “A NEW MUFFLER I THINK YOUR CAR IS TOO LOUD”
Good onya Mum.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The other day, A gentleman steps in front of him after he backed out of his spot. My son rolled down the windshield and asked if he could help him.

The guy went on to ask if he knew that loud exhaust kills older people. He went on further to threaten to...

If the "gentleman" drives one of these I'd tell him to pound salt.

800px-Dodge_Aries_sedan.jpg

On the other hand, if he drives one of these then you can count your days. Even Chuck Norris can't help you.

i173552.jpg

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Yep, everyone eventually will become "old" in their life unless they die young for some reason. And all the people bitching about old people today will be bitched about when they become old someday. What goes around comes around. ;)
And another way to put it: What you are, I was. What I am, you will be.

Sponsored

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Indeed, sometimes when I actually can fall asleep, I can't hear my alarm go off! its like a very high pitched whistle, or horn, and sometimes it goes to my heartbeat....
Wow. And I thought mine was annoying. A 24/7 high pitched whine.
It's pretty interesting how many car guys have tinnitus. I went to a Christmas car show and, in just casual chatting, 3 guys said they where living with it.
It's not fun guys, protect u'r hearing. If I can hear your mufflers 100' behind you on a winding road you should be using, at the very least, foam ear plugs.
Just saying... as someone who's gone before you.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Wow. And I thought mine was annoying. A 24/7 high pitched whine.
It's pretty interesting how many car guys have tinnitus. I went to a Christmas car show and, in just casual chatting, 3 guys said they where living with it.
It's not fun guys, protect u'r hearing. If I can hear your mufflers 100' behind you on a winding road you should be using, at the very least, foam ear plugs.
Just saying... as someone who's gone before you.
With the windows up, it's bearable. With the windows down, it's down-right bananas. Going through a tunnel, it's painful.

OP
OP
Pa-fatboy

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Thanks for all the reply's. To be clear, this is not a problem in my neighborhood, it's my son's when he takes the Mustang for a week or two at a time.

I do have a Harley, that is about twice as loud as the Mustang. The good news for me is leaving my house is a downhill for about 3/4's of a mile. I am far enough away from my immediate neighbors when I breath life into her. I'm running Vance and Hines, Big Shots, without any filters. Glorious sound. Just Glorious.

I do have an uncle that when he hears a loud noise, half the time he passes out and falls down. I first saw it when we were shooting fireworks off at his sons house for the 4th a few years ago.

Personally, I do not think my Mustang is all that loud. I am running the competition cat back Magnaflow system. Standing behind my car measuring sound level at idle is 84 decibel. That's about a same as a vacuum cleaner.

Anyway, My son has never seen the guy again. So maybe he was on to something... I hope not.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Wait, you're from PA...

Did this old guy have a beard w/ no mustache, straw hat, black pants with suspenders over a white button down shirt? Holding a pitch fork? Horse drawn buggy behind him? On his way to a barn raising???

You've been Amish'd.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
At 85db I'd suggest, for long term hearing safety, your son wore some type of hearing protection.

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html

Doesn't "sound" like a big deal, but after 40 or more years of cumulative abuse it is. And hearing aids cost around $3500. Lot of bravado out there when we're young, invincible and uninformed.

And, after 50 years around jets I wear those red ear defenders from Harbor Freight. Same when I'm using an electric leaf blower, or mowing the lawn. For louder activities I've got some 34db ear muffs that really work nice. Plan on keeping what remains of my hearing.
Sponsored