Sponsored

Car shut off completely while driving

Redline5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I was in snow/wet mode, going about 60-65mph in 5th gear. Out of nowhere, car turned off. My foot was on the accelerator, and I wasnt even near the clutch pedal. No mods or tunes except for a catback. This has happened before going less than 10 mph for things like pulling in and out of parking spots. Car itself has 3859 miles, is a '17 GT Premium with the Performance Pack, nothing plugged into the car except for a iphone cable. Battery is the original. Have never messed with anything regarding electricl or ECU. Ive seen others have had this problem, and when i asked my dealer mechanic as well as performance mechanic (2 different people), have both said unless theres a code or a icon on the dash, its difficult to find/replicate/fix/etc. Also, the car flashed on a wrench icon and "full accessory power off". Thankfully I was approaching a red light anyway.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Redline5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I did, the strap tie down and terminals themselves are good and tight. Plus i was able to start the car back up

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I was in snow/wet mode, going about 60-65mph in 5th gear. Out of nowhere, car turned off. My foot was on the accelerator, and I wasnt even near the clutch pedal. No mods or tunes except for a catback. This has happened before going less than 10 mph for things like pulling in and out of parking spots. Car itself has 3859 miles, is a '17 GT Premium with the Performance Pack, nothing plugged into the car except for a iphone cable. Battery is the original. Have never messed with anything regarding electricl or ECU. Ive seen others have had this problem, and when i asked my dealer mechanic as well as performance mechanic (2 different people), have both said unless theres a code or a icon on the dash, its difficult to find/replicate/fix/etc. Also, the car flashed on a wrench icon and "full accessory power off". Thankfully I was approaching a red light anyway.
Did you also lose power steering and brakes? If so, this is something that NHTSA takes very seriously - recall the GM sudden power shutdowns of 10 or so years ago... http://money.cnn.com/infographic/pf/autos/gm-recall-timeline/index.html

If this happens again I'd open a case with NHTSA and/or Ford Corporate.

OP
OP

Redline5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I had steering and brakes. it was as if i turned the car and went into neutral basically. from what ive seen, many have had this issue, even a car journalist reviewing the 5.0 when it came out had this happen to him. I went to my dealer today and they said there is no code, and they couldnt replicate it for the three hours they had it, and that it was basically an anomaly

Sponsored

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
i've read before of the car shutting down due to the throttle body/tps where it needs to be re-calibrated or the pcm flashed, or the whole thing replaced. i had this happen once as i was coasting to a stop light but it hasn't happened again. i believe this was supposed to have been fixed already by 2017 models?

OP
OP

Redline5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Well, within the next two or so months im switching to the 350 intake manifold and throttle body, and my handheld tuner should be here by friday so i may have my tuner check it out and flash it for me
Sponsored