Sponsored

What would you start with to build a high HP sleeper?

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Get a couple of year old Challenger scat pack. 30ish. Put a blower on it. Good ride quality, usable back seat and his genre.
Sponsored

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
S10 with a LS3.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
The best bang for the buck car you can buy to make cheap power is an 2008+ LS3 Vette with 6060 transmission. Throw a Paxton with a cam in it and your at 650rwhp easily. I've got a couple buddies who've done it for under $30k total.

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
You can find Cadillac CtsV (v2) in the mid $20k price range with some miles and there’s a few companies that make Twin kits for them. With full boot ons, ported blower etc on e85 you can make around 800whp boost only. You can also add a 100 shot post blower (nx can do it in blower case) which is usually good for 150whp...now you’re creeping on 1000whp in a 4 door caddy

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
The owner of the shop I worked at for a few years is currently driving a G8, he said it makes 650 to the tires and is his daily driver. I'm not sure what he's done to it, but he drives it all over the state and said it's reliable as hell. He also lowered it, but said he is going to put it back to stock ride height as it made the ride too harsh for a DD.

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Get a couple of year old Challenger scat pack. 30ish. Put a blower on it. Good ride quality, usable back seat and his genre.
Normally I'd agree with you, but the 6.4 doesn't like Boost. Better off to just start with a Hellcat.

OP my vote as well will be for the G8 or SS. If you want a sleeper the SS with mods is 100% where you want to be.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Normally I'd agree with you, but the 6.4 doesn't like Boost. Better off to just start with a Hellcat.

OP my vote as well will be for the G8 or SS. If you want a sleeper the SS with mods is 100% where you want to be.
How come the 6.4 doesn't like boost...too much compression?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
A coworker has one and the last I knew, it was putting down somewhere around 800 to the ground. He changes stuff on the car so often it's hard to keep up with how much power it is or isnt making at any given time. LOL
I asked him about it today, 936 to the ground. :eyebulge:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GTO or G8 is my vote.

Taurus would be fun to do and unusual.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Late Caddy CTS-V wagon. With a stick.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
So it's down to 3 choices. Keep in mind my father in law is fickle and impulsive. lol

1. Challenger Scat pack- The down side here is the power levels he wants can't be achieved without engine work. The upside is that it will give us something to tinker with which is what he really wants.

2. Hellcat- These things are plentiful in the $50k and under price range used. These is no question that's the easiest and best way achieve his goals. Down side is I don't think there is enough work to be done to keep him occupied.

3. Chevy SS- I really love this option and we have a great GM performance shop right in town for the stuff we don't want to tackle. He just doesn't like the looks of the car.

Runner up- CTS V Again I really like this idea but he just sold a brand new CTS because he hated it. Hard to get the bad taste out of his mouth.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
No offense - most of the cars listed are great cars and I've actually owned / wrenched on many of the same models....but just how is a G8 or many of the other listed cars a SLEEPER?

Maybe the definition has changed?

"Sleeper for 700 HP."

There are very few cars that you'd EXPECT to have 700 HP. But don't people (at least car people) expect most of the cars listed in this thread to be "fast"???

I've built a few sleepers. My definition of a sleeper is a car that will fool OTHER CAR GUYS until the go pedal gets mashed.

By all means, build whatever you (your Father) wants. His money, his time, his life. Fast cars are great no matter what make / model...I'm just not understanding the sleeper label...maybe it's just me.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So it's down to 3 choices. Keep in mind my father in law is fickle and impulsive. lol

1. Challenger Scat pack- The down side here is the power levels he wants can't be achieved without engine work. The upside is that it will give us something to tinker with which is what he really wants.

2. Hellcat- These things are plentiful in the $50k and under price range used. These is no question that's the easiest and best way achieve his goals. Down side is I don't think there is enough work to be done to keep him occupied.

3. Chevy SS- I really love this option and we have a great GM performance shop right in town for the stuff we don't want to tackle. He just doesn't like the looks of the car.

Runner up- CTS V Again I really like this idea but he just sold a brand new CTS because he hated it. Hard to get the bad taste out of his mouth.
Sounds like what he really wants is a "project". Something to drive / wrench on and play with.

Heck - I know you said that he mentioned "Mustangs were your thing" but I'd drive him by a dealership and let him look / drive a 18 GT. That way he could mod it step by step, you are familiar with the platform, and in the end he gets what he wants - a car he can drive - that already has good power - and make faster step by step as he goes along.
Sponsored