Sponsored

Stripe removal

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Anybody ever de-stripe their 350? Does it come off pretty easily like aftermarket vinyl or is there anything special you need to do?

Did you need to buff the paint after, or just wax over it and call it good?
Sponsored

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Yes, I removed mine within 48 hours. If the stripes were painted on the car and then clear-coated over.......#1. I'd be stuck with them. #2. I'd feel they were done properly.

They weren't much work to get off, just remember, there may be surprises underneath. I had a horrible area where some knucklehead tried to wet sand a dirt nib. Ultimately, it didn't matter to them because they were putting a stripe on it. Luckily, I can detail cars and I fixed it.
tn_home.jpg
tn_NoStripe.jpg
tn_hood.jpg

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yes, I removed mine within 48 hours. If the stripes were painted on the car and then clear-coated over.......#1. I'd be stuck with them. #2. I'd feel they were done properly.

They weren't much work to get off, just remember, there may be surprises underneath. I had a horrible area where some knucklehead tried to wet sand a dirt nib. Ultimately, it didn't matter to them because they were putting a stripe on it. Luckily, I can detail cars and I fixed it.

What steps did you take to get it clean before waxing?

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
What steps did you take to get it clean before waxing?
The car was brand new and here are the steps I took after removing the stripes.

1. Wiped down with 3M wax and adhesive remover (similar to a prep solvent)

2. Washed car

3. Used 3D BDX iron eating agent on the paint

4. Rewash

5. Clay bar

6. Polished with Sonax 04-06

7. CarPro Eraser wipedown

8. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The car was brand new and here are the steps I took after removing the stripes.

1. Wiped down with 3M wax and adhesive remover (similar to a prep solvent)

2. Washed car

3. Used 3D BDX iron eating agent on the paint

4. Rewash

5. Clay bar

6. Polished with Sonax 04-06

7. CarPro Eraser wipedown

8. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Awesome, thanks man!

bullitt5566

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighning Blue GT350 2010 Blue Flame Raptor 2001 True Blue Bullitt
I removed the tape stripes from my lighting blue GT 350. Two tricky parts. Hood vent and spoiler. The hood vent wasn't two bad. Use a small screwdriver to pop the tabs from underneath. Be careful not to break them. Pack a lunch for the spoiler. LMR.com has a good video, but Ford was serious when they installed it. It is installed using adhesive so you have to use a plastic putty scraper to break through the adhesive. Use masking take to protect the finish and be careful. It took me 45 minutes to get the spoiler off. Removong the stripes only took 5 minutes.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hair dryer + a little patience.

If it's not warm enough it will leave residue. Take your time.

I cut my stripes as opposed to pulling the spoiler. But one of these days I will pull it.

Also, you don't need to pull the hood vent. They came out without a fuss. I broke 3 clips on my vent before I gave up and "chanced" it without pulling the vent. I should have just done it that way from the start.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yeah, I kinda figured most people carefully cut their stripes from the edge of the spoiler.

I was dead set on doing stripe removal on the LFG car I was looking at, but ended up getting an OW with blue stripes, which happens to be about the only paint/stripe combo I can tolerate on the car because of the heritage. So the stripes are staying on until I get bored with them.

View media item 13193

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Yeah, I kinda figured most people carefully cut their stripes from the edge of the spoiler.

I was dead set on doing stripe removal on the LFG car I was looking at, but ended up getting an OW with blue stripes, which happens to be about the only paint/stripe combo I can tolerate on the car because of the heritage. So the stripes are staying on until I get bored with them.

View media item 13193
Thats an awesome pic

Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I’ve had my GT350 for over a year. Do you guys think there will be any color difference if I remove the stripes?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody ever de-stripe their 350? Does it come off pretty easily like aftermarket vinyl or is there anything special you need to do?

Did you need to buff the paint after, or just wax over it and call it good?
Just curious did you order the car or buy it off the lot ?

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I’ve had my GT350 for over a year. Do you guys think there will be any color difference if I remove the stripes?
I'll let you know in about a month or so when I replace my stripes with aftermarket. The car has been in a garage for 90% of it's life, so I'm hoping the color difference will be minimal if any.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

I you have been maintaining your paint I don't think you will see a difference. Even if your non stripe area is slightly faded which I highly doubt a skilled detailer should be abet to fix it no problem with a claybar and some light polish.