Sponsored

Wind noise passenger mirror area. New 17

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Yeah, I found the same for the battery cover...unfortunately most of the plastic in the engine area has the ability to rattle. I tried taping it all down thinking the wind was catching it, but no luck.

The door wasn't too bad, when you pull the trim around the window switch a blue clip or two will likely fly off so just watch for them. Hardest part is the little door behind the handle, you'll need something with a hook to grab it. I put a small Allen key through the hole in the upper left corner and then pulled it with a set of pliers.

Putting back together is easy.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Used soft side of Velcro and reinforced all 5 plastic pieces in the panel. 85 miles trip today and zero rattle. I’m happy. Speeds from 45-135

OP
OP

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Took it out today. 83 mph is the magic number. Rattle is still there. I’ve given up

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Same rattle (i.e. same parts)? Only at 83mph - obviously there's something from a resonance factor at that particular speed if it's not happening elsewhere. Frustrating that we even need to take this apart to fix such minor items. Any chance it's the rear window rattle vs. the door?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Make sure your doors are closed flush against the body.
When I first got mine, the striker was not adjusted properly, I would get this water leaking into the cabin by the trailing edge of the window when I power wash the car.

Sponsored

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Well done! I just went to check my car, found the second pin from the front on the right side of the car was loose...same as your video. That would certainly explain the rattle at speed as the pin wasn't falling out, but was loose enough to move around...and the location is right!!

OP
OP

Bigpoppa05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
You and I chased this noise for 6 months lol. I went 50 miles today at 83 and not 1 peep. I’m happy again.

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
Excellent, enjoy! I still have to wait a few weeks for the snow to clear before driving mine.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
And finally fixed. Watch my video

Nice I need to check this out I have an annoying rattle in that area... Is there an easy way to check without lifting the car up? I can't really tell where this is shown due to zoom.

Sponsored

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
I didn't need to lift the car to check, if you get down on the ground and look at the underside of the factory side splitters that run between the front and rear wheels, you'll see a handful of cutouts where they mount to the frame. Inside each of those cutouts you should be able to feel the head of the pin (look at the video to get an idea of the shape).

In my case it was just like the posted video, near the front of on the right side, the pin was far enough out it was obvious by feel. That being said, the cutout is deep enough that I couldn't see that it wasn't pushed in without raising the car, but when checking by feel you'll notice. I had actually failed to see this when I first thought the noise might be coming from that area, b/c I couldn't see into the recessed area and just assumed nothing was loose.

Once you find the loose pin, use a screwdriver with a sharp point to push it into the mounting hole. The pin was loose enough to be capable of rattling around, but it didn't fall out on its own, or even when I tried pulling it out.

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
My car never had this noise for over 4k miles, then it went to the body shop for a repaint. The car was dismantled. When I got the car back, I now have this issue and thought that it could be the mirror, air around the windshield (it was removed also), or the ground effects. They do seem to be loose, but when I checked the dealer lot, most of them were loose. I'll double check mine for the clips and see if they are all there and properly inserted.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
I didn't need to lift the car to check, if you get down on the ground and look at the underside of the factory side splitters that run between the front and rear wheels, you'll see a handful of cutouts where they mount to the frame. Inside each of those cutouts you should be able to feel the head of the pin (look at the video to get an idea of the shape).

In my case it was just like the posted video, near the front of on the right side, the pin was far enough out it was obvious by feel. That being said, the cutout is deep enough that I couldn't see that it wasn't pushed in without raising the car, but when checking by feel you'll notice. I had actually failed to see this when I first thought the noise might be coming from that area, b/c I couldn't see into the recessed area and just assumed nothing was loose.

Once you find the loose pin, use a screwdriver with a sharp point to push it into the mounting hole. The pin was loose enough to be capable of rattling around, but it didn't fall out on its own, or even when I tried pulling it out.
I checked just feeling and the one closest to the wheel and the next one over was loose. I pushed it back in with just my hand. If it comes loose again i'll use something to push it up further. Hoping this was cause of the rattle for me! Also my push pins were just smooth, didn't have the center hole like the pins in video.
Thanks.

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
I checked just feeling and the one closest to the wheel and the next one over was loose. I pushed it back in with just my hand. If it comes loose again i'll use something to push it up further. Hoping this was cause of the rattle for me! Also my push pins were just smooth, didn't have the center hole like the pins in video.
Thanks.
That was the same one for me, the second one from the front wheel. The plug that was loose for me had a hole in the middle, which I'm assuming is b/c the core pin that should be there is now gone. I think these plugs likely have a core pin inserted when they're properly installed. You would then push that core pin to extract the plug and pull it up before re-installing. Then once the plug is installed push the core pin back down to secure. So these pins must be falling out (in my case) or the entire plug itself is loose enough to fall out without the pin being pushed in (your case).

When I pushed the plug back in (without the pin) I tried to pull it out or shake it loose but it wouldn't budge, so the bottom must be flared enough that it's staying without the pin pushing on it. I'll have to keep checking to see if it moves again.
Sponsored