Mike@KenneBell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
UNDERSTANDING KENNEBELL LIQUID COOLING

Liquid cooling accounts for 66% of our sales. It was unique enough to receive a U.S. Patent so we thought that Kenne Bell would be better qualified to explain the advantages of our LC system than our competition who persists in posting information about Kenne Bell product that we do not agree with or is blatantly false. No animosity here, just defending our product and correcting some misconceptions and false information.
Our website http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Home_pg/layouts/Homepage.htm explains the Liquid Cooled principals of operation. The Patent info is also on our website under “Patents” as per our attorneys recommendations. First of all, the big advantage of LC is not the cooling of the air charge. The actual air temp reduction is comparatively low but it sure cools down the supercharger (case, bearings, seals, drive, oil (up to 200*) and the front plate). This huge temp reduction results in longer component life, higher RPM, boost and HP. If you are not interested in these benefits, then Liquid Cooling is not for you. LC superchargers were engineered to utilize a small amount of normal temperature IC coolant to control internal component expansion and rotor contact at higher CFM, RPM, and/or boost levels.

The cooling is how KB Twin Screws avoid the rotor scuffing that plagues our competition. Here is how it works. Any Twin Screw ingests cooler air from one end of the supercharger (rear or front inlet) and progressively compresses and heats (can’t have one without the other) air the length of the supercharger until it exits the discharger port. As a result, the hotter air at the end (front or rear inlet) of the compression cycle causes the front rotor support plate to expand more than the cooler rear support plate. Remember, heat expands aluminum. Hence the cause of rotor contact or “rotor scuffing”.
Here’s what happens and what the patent is all about. Since the front rotor shaft support plate is hotter from higher boost/temps, the expansion is greater causing the rotor shafts and their attached steel timing gears to spread unequally as compared to the rear bearing support plate with cooler inlet temps. But there’s more. The front gears are steel which expands at half the rate of aluminum. This combination drastically alters the GEAR LASH which in turn closes up the male to female rotor TIMING AND CLEARANCE. The reduced (tighter) rotor clearance results in rotor interference, contact and damage at higher boost/temps and RPM.
By cooling the front plate and ultimately controlling the temperature to comparison ratio, we are able to rev all our Liquid Cooled superchargers higher and, therefore, produce more boost and HP that others without Liquid Cooling. Where other Twin Screws burn down at 24psi and/or 16,000RPM we can run 35psi and 18000RPM on our 3L and 4L kits. That’s what Liquid Cooling can do for you (+9psi and 2,000RPM).
Both Johnny Lightning’s 5.0 Cobra Jet and Mark Meierings 5.4 Shelby run 33-35psi and 18,000RPM.
We are not recommending that everyone with 10-15psi boost and/or a 2L must buy LC. We are saying that if you have plans to grow above 15psi or want maximum life and reduced wear from your supercharger it’s an economical option. Just like larger radiators transmissions or engine coolers.
Whether water is flowing through your engine or a SC, it ABSORBS HEAT and allows the engine or SC to run cooler. Regardless of how well a supercharger product is engineered, cooler is better. No rocket science required here.

BTW, Kenne Bell uses “precision cut” helical and straight cut gears on all our SC’s. We use straight cut gears on the 3L and 4L SC’s because they generate that cool “billet whine” vs. the muffled cast aluminum sound. All KB supercharger gears have been produced in Italy since we first introduced the Twin Screw to Fords in 1990. It’s the only manufacture who has met our quality requirements.
Oil temperature difference in gears? Negligible if any. All gears create heat when they are not in oil depending on RPM level. And we have an 800Hp SC Dyno. A little 125HP electric dyno leaves a LOT of guess work regarding the use of LC. Kawasaki didn’t use a Twin Screw and some who may have a Twin Screw and claim “they don’t need it” (Liquid Cooling) are really saying “they can’t use it”-for fear of Patent infringement. U.S. Patents are the rewards and protection for those who work very hard and spend a lot of money developing unique and better products than their competition.
The Kenne Bell LC DOES WORK as designed. Its why our superchargers can be revved considerably higher and develop more boost and HP than our Twin Screw competitors. That is fact. And let there be no question about this. Our drives, gears, bearings, and seals enjoy a longer life than the non LC counter parts. In this case “cooler is better” with any supercharger.
Thousands have been sold and no complaints so far. There is another aspect to this temp scenario-the lower discharge temps of the 4x6 rotor concept vs. a 3x5. That’s next along with “Rear inlet vs. Front Inlet” Supercharging. And how we engineered one 5.0 2.8 kit that is easily upgraded to a 3.2, 3.6, 4.0, 4.2, 4.7 and up to 1400HP potential with the same intercooler, manifold, throttle body and inlet system.
Jim Bell
Here’s a link to our website on Kenne Bell’s Patented Liquid Cooling for more information:
http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Tech_Info_pg/layouts/LC_pg.htm
Sponsored

FusionGT

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP / Jeep TJ
haha..racing stripes. When I lived in San Diego and was much younger, I always saw the Kenne Bell equipped 03-04 Cobras over in Pomona and at Qualcomm when they had the 1/8 mile drags (not sure if they do it anymore at Qcomm) and man they were always the fastest around. Even though I was headstrong into imports at the time, I knew to not race anything with a KB blower...lol. Maybe one day *sigh*

Sponsored

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
haha..racing stripes. When I lived in San Diego and was much younger, I always saw the Kenne Bell equipped 03-04 Cobras over in Pomona and at Qualcomm when they had the 1/8 mile drags (not sure if they do it anymore at Qcomm) and man they were always the fastest around. Even though I was headstrong into imports at the time, I knew to not race anything with a KB blower...lol. Maybe one day *sigh*
Go and find a race track.. any sanctioned race event, really.. It's still that way today. ;)

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Thanks for the info...Always loved that Kenne Bell whine (chills for days)

proamas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Package
This up here is one of the main reasons I went with the Boost Works Kenne Bell kit. Also after talking with Travis at Boost Works, he knows his stuff and backs it up with facts and data. Can't wait till my kit comes in and install it. Great stuff guys, being an old school turbo guy with Buick 231's I can tell you all Kenne Bell was super high quality stuff.

Sponsored

Tonyrhmartino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 KB GT
Can anyone post a 2.8lc on an s550? I would like to see pics and impressions like the thread from the user above. If there isn't any yet I will post mine up soon!

CC Quik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hey Tonyrhmartino, I'm The Current Owner Of One Of The Two 2015 S550's That Kenne Bell Used As Test Mules With The 2.8LC SC. You Can Go To The KB Webpage And View Both Builds, Mine Is The Blue/Auto And The Orange One Is A 6sp. His Facebook page has Video And Dyno Results On my Car. To test Max Boost At 16psi The car Put Out 881hp/etq709 With a pulley, a tune And E85 With 47# injectors. Car Is Currently Running 720hp/576etq At 9psi On Pump Gas. It's An Absolut Rocket. The Car Has had Exhaust And Suspension Work Done At Shelby Performance Here In Las Vegas. My Hats Off To Kenne Bell For A superior Product.

FlyinHawaiian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Ruby Red
Is the Kennebell 2.8 LC friendly for daily street driving? I'm deciding between this and a whipple stage 1.

Tonyrhmartino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 KB GT
Is the Kennebell 2.8 LC friendly for daily street driving? I'm deciding between this and a whipple stage 1.
Yes of course I drive mine daily on 93 octane and 10psi of boost with the rev limiter about 7200 and shifts set to 6500 in first gear to keep it from hitting the limiter.
Car runs 11.3 and I love it. Base kit $6500
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.