Mishimoto's 2015+ Mustang GT Silicone Induction Hose Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Upgrading Induction: 2015+ Mustang GT Induction Hose R&D, Part 1: Design Elements

Improving airflow is now a recurring theme for the stock 2015+ Mustang GT intake. In addition to finding air flow restrictions in our project to replace the entire stock intake system, we’ve also found several ways that a silicone induction hose for S550 drivers could improve airflow for drivers who would rather not replace their stock intakes. The stock piece is not only restrictive in size, but it also makes use of a resonator. We can make several improvements to take this induction hose design to the next level.

The hose itself is straightforward, except for the number of ports and attachments. We will be including those four ports in our design and will incorporate quick-disconnect fittings. Take a look at the image below.

1zgi0y.jpg

To increase the amount of airflow that can travel from the airbox, we must enlarge the entire tube. This will produce give us an increase in volumetric area inside the tube. Although our goal is to increase airflow, we want to ensure consistency with this increase to prevent turbulence. With more airflow we hope to increase power as well.

Be sure to stay tuned as we continue progress on the induction hose upgrade for this 2015+ Mustang GT intake. In the meantime, check out a sneak peak of our first working prototype!

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Last edited:

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
You guys would make a ton of money if you would developed an inlet tube for the Procharger guys.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I'd rather you sell this WITHOUT the port for the sound tube. Tons of us remove it and don't want/need the port for it uglying up the bay.
Second this!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I capped and removed the sound tube from my airaid MIT and was surprised by how throttle response improved. So the sound tube is having a negative impact on throttle response, can anyone explain why this is?

Sponsored

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
I would definitely be interested in this if, it would be able to be done without running up against CARB regs. In California, if we want to stay legal, we have to wait years for anything to get approved. Sucks to be us for legal car mods.:ninja:

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Where is your data to prove the stock tube isn't good enough? Where is the data to prove yours is better?
This!!

When people see bellows or expension joints they assume the flow is restricted. There is no way this type of design restricts the flow. It is a smooth almost 90 degree elbow and the pressure drop through that piece should be the same with the same diameter piece. We need some proof to see that the factory piece is restricted. CFD analysis or some sort.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
This!!

When people see bellows or expension joints they assume the flow is restricted. There is no way this type of design restricts the flow. It is a smooth almost 90 degree elbow and the pressure drop through that piece should be the same with the same diameter piece. We need some proof to see that the factory piece is restricted. CFD analysis or some sort.
PREACH!

I am so sick of all the new parts coming out for the pure sake of replacing factory parts that look like they suck. Let's put some science behind this and show some actual results please.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
I'd rather you sell this WITHOUT the port for the sound tube. Tons of us remove it and don't want/need the port for it uglying up the bay.
Second this!
I capped and removed the sound tube from my airaid MIT and was surprised by how throttle response improved. So the sound tube is having a negative impact on throttle response, can anyone explain why this is?
The port will be included on the tube so we don't leave anyone out who may want to leave the sound tube on! However each kit will most likely come with a plug to cover that port for those of you who would rather get rid of the tube. Just covering all the bases!

As for throttle response, the induction tube does slightly restrict airflow. Since it is directly attached to the induction tube, some of that airflow is directed away from going to the engine. If you get rid of it, there is a potential to see increased throttle response since more air gets directed straight to the throttle body. Hope this helps!

You guys would make a ton of money if you would developed an inlet tube for the Procharger guys.
Interesting idea! It's something I can forward to my project managers, we might be able to look into that.

I would definitely be interested in this if, it would be able to be done without running up against CARB regs. In California, if we want to stay legal, we have to wait years for anything to get approved. Sucks to be us for legal car mods.:ninja:
We are planning to go after CARB certification for as many applications as possible. We are looking into whether that will include products such as silicone induction tubes. As of now, we haven't heard of anyone running into CARB regulation issues with our silicone induction tubes for other applications.

Where is your data to prove the stock tube isn't good enough? Where is the data to prove yours is better?
PREACH!

I am so sick of all the new parts coming out for the pure sake of replacing factory parts that look like they suck. Let's put some science behind this and show some actual results please.
This!!

We plan to release as much data as possible once we get further in our testing!

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Glad you guys are putting forward new products, looks great. I am just going to have to be a dick about this but I won't buy any CAI/tube with the port for the sound tube. Don't want any opportunity for failure, don't want a capped off hole in my engine bay if I'm paying for an aftermarket piece of kit. I know it's more manufacturing/inventory dollars - charge for it. Just how it's gonna be. :)

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Upgrading Induction: 2015+ Mustang GT Induction Hose R&D, Part 2: From Concept to Reality

We are now one step closer to completing this induction project! The bulk of our testing is just about finished and we have gotten some awesome results. One of our biggest objectives was to increase the internal volume over the stock intake. With more air surging through the hose, the potential for improved power output is increased as well.

1441raa.jpg

2vljx9y.jpg

In our previous post, we said we would include all four ports and attachments. However, we decided on a complete omission of the sound imposer port. You will see what that looks like later on in this post. The 3D printed part you see above does have the port, but it is blocked off, simulating how the final design will perform on the dyno. Speaking of which, let’s look at our dyno runs!

[ame]

wtiw5e.jpg

The stock intake tube begins at 95mm from the top of the airbox, which then leads into the accordion section that necks down to 87.5mm. The throttle body section necks down slightly more to 86.5mm. Our induction hose is a different story. The measurements were nearly the same, but the key difference is the internal diameter. The hose starts out the same size as stock on both ends, but it increases to 121mm at its center! This is definitely a contributing factor to the max gains of 15hp and 15 ft-lb of torque in the midrange to the top end.

We were definitely aiming for decent gains with this induction hose, but we were quite shocked when we saw just how much we’d get. Either way, although specific to a certain power band range, we got consistent runs with this output improvement, so this is going to be an excellent add to your S550. This will, also bode quite well for the full intake kit we are making for this car!

But what does it look like now?

The Big Reveal

a41k53.jpg

ojlf02.jpg

Our production samples finally arrived, and boy, do they look good! This induction hose will come in black, red and blue, and since we have a beautiful Ruby Red S550, we threw our red hose on there. This induction hose has an awesome yet subtle aesthetic underneath the hood, which would make any owner proud to show off their engine bay. This hose is a direct fit into the 2015+ Mustang GT without any cutting or modification required. The five-ply silicone is reinforced with steel wire to prevent misshaping under vacuum, and the hose will stay durable enough to last as long as you have your GT.

2qtd66w.jpg

What’s pretty neat about this induction hose is how the key design element that produces the power is nearly hidden from sight. The underbody of the hose has that deep curve, fairly difficult to see at first glance, which contributes to its subtlety.

23ijles.jpg

Let’s check out some install shots!

2la812h.jpg

fvhi8k.jpg

What’s Next?

20sskea.jpg

This induction hose is now closer to being released, and our pre-sale will start soon, so keep an eye on this thread. Let us know your thoughts below and, as always, thanks for reading!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
!
kc17smigdqnae7loy7km.gif

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
Glad to see they ditched the sound tube connector all together!

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Oh that's nice! This intake is at the top of my list!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.