Sponsored

2018 gas??

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
The direct injection helps quite a bit with keeping things ok on 87 octane even with our compression ratio boost. It obviously does not make full power that way depending on the quality of fuel but it is safe to run. Our cars also do not get the same timing advance as the 15-17's on 93, that is true but they still make more power with the timing they achieve. I talked a bit with Lund about it when I first had my car tuned and was disappointed with the max timing my car was seeing compared to my 15. Jon said that it was normal and of course e85 allowed the max timing to get closer to what I was used to (still not 30+ degrees though). Despite the lower timing, the extra compression and efficiency from the DI still make killer power. We just can't get hung up on timing numbers. Stock our cars are making 420whp on 93 with only about 22* of timing or so. Tuned you can expect about 25-26* or so on 93 and 430-440whp. Not to shabby if you ask me.
Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The direct injection helps quite a bit with keeping things ok on 87 octane even with our compression ratio boost. It obviously does not make full power that way depending on the quality of fuel but it is safe to run. Our cars also do not get the same timing advance as the 15-17's on 93, that is true but they still make more power with the timing they achieve. I talked a bit with Lund about it when I first had my car tuned and was disappointed with the max timing my car was seeing compared to my 15. Jon said that it was normal and of course e85 allowed the max timing to get closer to what I was used to (still not 30+ degrees though). Despite the lower timing, the extra compression and efficiency from the DI still make killer power. We just can't get hung up on timing numbers. Stock our cars are making 420whp on 93 with only about 22* of timing or so. Tuned you can expect about 25-26* or so on 93 and 430-440whp. Not to shabby if you ask me.
Thanks for the clarification! Makes sense.

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT

Wow ok that was a great clarification on that. Appreciate it.

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
All personal preference, but have been using midgrade 89 for 16k miles. So far so good - doesn't see a race track so I figure its a good balance...

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
FORD says GT's can run on 87 purely not to discourage people from buying those cars. Personally i use 94octE10. Datalogs says my car loves it. 18.1mpg avg in town, 28-31mpg avg on the highway.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
So I did everything at once. My k&N filter came in, pass. Side oil separators (not performance enhancing obviously lol) and my throttle body spacer, put it all on at once. And only had 25 miles to E, so filled with 93 octane,

Car felt better then it ever has. Can't say it's stricly because the 93 but man! Felt awesome!

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The oil separator could be performance enhancing long term.

Have throttle body spacers been shown to do anything on these cars? Too lazy to search, lol. This setup makes them easy to install at least.

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Haha ya I don't know to be honest, I bought it for my ecoboost when I had it, and placebo effect made the car faster lol, I haven't seen nothing confirmed for performance improvement, but only 90 bucks I think it was, and I bundled it all together so we'll say it works lol.

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Very easy install btw, seems like it would.improve because the little spirals causing more flow into throttle body....just my thought.

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
If you have a way to datalog, just review the knock retard and overall spark advance difference between 87 and 93 octane, that should be enough to make you stay away from 87.

Sponsored
OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I don't right now until.i decide to get a handheld tuner, but with that being said I believe what your saying because I know I watched it on my ecoboost when I ran 93, and I stayed running 93, with it.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I could be wrong here but I believe we (18&up) are a bit more vulnerable to lower octane fuel than the previous gen, if only by virtue of our higher compression. I clearly do not have very good gas around here because I never see more than 22 degrees of advance under throttle. Knock sensor is active. :( Quality E85 seems like a much more consistent option, though not always convenient.
Actually with DI and port injection fuel quality is less important outside of not getting any timing on low octane stuff. 4 knock sensors.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
The oil separator could be performance enhancing long term.

Have throttle body spacers been shown to do anything on these cars? Too lazy to search, lol. This setup makes them easy to install at least.
Throttle body spacers have been considered one of those "snake oil" type upgrades, for our cars at least for some time. I have never seen any proof that they do anything. I also don't know if you lose hp using them either so at best it won't hurt. I have never tried one due to various reports of no gains for money spent. Similar to that "Tornado" thing that was sold a while back. LOL!

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Actually with DI and port injection fuel quality is less important outside of not getting any timing on low octane stuff. 4 knock sensors.
Until you factor in 12.0:1 compression, then things change a bit with combustion temps. Taking full advantage of the highest octane available is always best.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Of course you need all that extra performance on the way to get groceries or driving to work...

Doesn't matter what you use unless you actually compete. If someone's car is running bad on lower octane, take it to dealer - something's wrong with it. Stories engine will run bad on 87 are complete nonsense. What gas you think F-150 drivers have been using ever since Coyote made its way there ?
Sponsored