Last edited:

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Hey guys, could use some advice. My parked mustang was involved in a hit and run today. This happened at an institution where I'm currently on rotations. I happen to have a dashcam so it captured the whole incident, the people involved, and shows them ramming into my car and covering up evidence. These guys actually work at the lot. They didn't leave a note. Once I got home I sifted through my dashcam memory card and got all my evidence together and will be addressing this tomorrow. I have a couple of questions. Should I go to the police, or do I just go to the management of the place and get this addressed and leave the police as a last resort? Also, in terms of fixing the car, is it best to get it done at a Ford dealership once I get their insurance info?
i would go to police.. your insurance will most likely require a police report anyway

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Call the police and file a report. Don't delay. Tell them you have the footage. Contact your insurance.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Post it on Facebook, YouTube, and contact local media too. Make the scumbags feel like scums.

Rasn1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jer
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium 5.0 black accent pack, 3.55 gears
File a report and get there ass in trouble and get them fired,scumbags

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Police report. Provide evidence. Get this squared away post haste. I had this happen to me at my place of work last decade, handled it through work and got screwed big time. Get their insurance and the police involved, they will be charged with leaving the scene of an accident which is what they deserve. You did nothing wrong, they did.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Get the police report filed so you have the report # but I wouldn't go to your insurance immediately. The police won't actually look in to anything, but the report # helps (and do it right away tomorrow, anything later than that might be too late for them to actually document).

Then go and speak with the responsible party (or their management if you prefer) to see how they would like to handle it (their insurance or they pay out of pocket for the repairs) and make sure your car is returned to as was condition.

Obviously it would have been better if they came forward, but no need to be hostile about it. I went through something similar but thankfully was able to find the person by looking through our camera recordings myself for a few hours.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Definitely get in touch with the police and get a report filed. As others have stated, your insurance carrier may require it IF you have to go through them.

I don't recommend allowing those responsible pay for the damages out of pocket. If the damages are very extensive, whichever body shop you choose, and not necessarily Ford, will likely find additional damages once the vehicle has been torn down for repairs to begin. It's much easier to have insurance pay for "supplemental" damages since they do this everyday. Explaining to individuals that you need additional money sometimes doesn't go so easily.

As for the body shop issue, do some research in your area for quality body shops. They are not always tied to dealerships. Sometimes they are, but not always...

Good luck with everything - and be thankful for the dash cam. Most aren't so lucky and would never know what happened.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The police report should have already been done, do not wait I hate people who wait and then come to station to file a report and expect me to solve it instantly . Make it a priority to file the police report and then the police will get the information . The place isn’t going to give you anyone’s address that’s a crime

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Do you have a youtube account? I would suggest uploading the video and then selecting "Unlisted" in the privacy tab, then having the link to the video available on your phone so you could email it to the detective. Sometimes its difficult for them to bring up a video that's in a pure video format at the stations. They will take the file, but this will make it much easier to view for everyone.

Unlisted makes it so it's not public and only viewable to those you provide a link to.

And, most definitely provide this to the Police, they damaged your car, were liable, and snuck away from their responsibility of doing the right thing like weasels.

Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
1. Police Report immediately
2. Notufy your carrier immediately
3. Back up the SD card as the Police will probably take it into evidence ( and crap does get lost--rare but have the back up)
4. Notify the lot owner (facility).

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Whose insurance will pay if "they're in their work vehicles"? I'm betting they don't have their own car insurance.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Whose insurance will pay if "they're in their work vehicles"? I'm betting they don't have their own car insurance.
That would be between the insurance companies to battle. If it’s a compay vehicle and they are on company time the companies insurance would pay . How ever the employee who failed to report it may get sued civly and lose his job lol

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Many departments may not even take a report based on time between the incident and time police were notified. Why is this important now, why didn’t you call us when you were aware of what had happened? Just be prepared to answer questions like that. Depends on the department on how they will handle this and how fast it gets handled.

FSGI (fail to stop and give information) is a misdemeanor charge in Texas. Depending on where in Texas you are will depend on what the district attorney would accept if a warrant would be issued. Lots of factors involved.
Sponsored