Sponsored

Traded my GT350 to dealer, wait is on for R

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Congrats. Same in Texas. My Mustang GT was valued at way less than my GT350 on trade. Imagine that. So I paid the registration fee and zero tax on the $30K GT.

People often say I can sell it privately for more but when you consider the tax savings, most of the time it is a wash or the taxes cost you more than you make selling it privately.

The dealership on paper paid $51,500 for my 17. Could I have sold it for more, maybe but the $1,875 or so in tax saving, $30,000 x 6.25%, not worth the hassle.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
How far in advance can you trade a car in and still get the tax credit? Could I trade an R in now on a GT500 that isn't going to be here for over a year? ;)

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
$48,000? I just did a KBB offer on my 17 last week with 2400 miles and that's what they offered me.
That's a good amount lower than what I got before I even consider the tax savings. But if you are just looking to get a purchase offer, IE like taking your car to Carmax, I'd expect $48K (or lower).

Here's what I had:
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 11.07.13 PM.png

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I can readily identify. I let mine go in anticipation of getting a GT500. The wait has been as fun as getting an impacted molar pulled.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
LB with white stripes on an R looks amazing. Congrats on the great choice.

Smart move to get rid of the car early so you are not scrambling later. If it is not your daily then no need to keep it depreciating in the garage for the few times you would get to drive it between now and when your R arrives.

Now the looooooong wait begins.

Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
Would you mind sharing the dealership? Just in case one of us was interested in possibly making a purchase...

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
is arkansas just weird? we can sell privately and bring the bill of sale to the DMV, as long as you buy the next one within 45 days...you only pay taxes on the difference.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
A bit different up in Ohio. Thanks for the clarification.

OP, congrats on the R.

KY worked that way too.. great part is the taxable value as of Jan 1 was 18k on the R lol.

Of course I likely still paid more than what you do for renewal.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
.......I'm in love with Lightning Blue, so I'm going with the same color scheme.. LB with white stripes.......
That will be a spectacular looking car. :cheers:

FYI. I got a call from my sales guy last weekend to come pick up a Ford poster of a LB R model for 2018 he saved for me. You need to get a copy of that poster to match your car. FWIW

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
How far in advance can you trade a car in and still get the tax credit? Could I trade an R in now on a GT500 that isn't going to be here for over a year? ;)
Would probably depend on the state and the dealer's willingness, but in my experience the dealer wants to do everything at the same time or as close to that as possible. When I placed my order in late January and we worked out a trade-in value, I offered to make a special trip to the dealership and deliver my car immediately. They said "no" and said that it needs to be much closer to actual delivery date of the new car, so no hurry. That's a Florida dealership.

Here in Illinois, we traded in my wife's car on a new one that was on order and they took the trade nearly three months in advance.

So, YMMV.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Would probably depend on the state and the dealer's willingness, but in my experience the dealer wants to do everything at the same time or as close to that as possible. When I placed my order in late January and we worked out a trade-in value, I offered to make a special trip to the dealership and deliver my car immediately. They said "no" and said that it needs to be much closer to actual delivery date of the new car, so no hurry. That's a Florida dealership.

Here in Illinois, we traded in my wife's car on a new one that was on order and they took the trade nearly three months in advance.

So, YMMV.
Chris,

You were guaranteed a trade value, right?

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

So, YMMV.

Same thing my dealer did. I traded my track pack 350 in on Memorial day and they didn't even have the allocation for the R at that point. They agreed to give me the cash difference if they didn't get the allocation. Which would have cost me several thousands in the tax break I would have received. Fortunately I got the allocation July 3rd.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Grats on the R !

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

So, YMMV.
Dealership told me I could carry this for several months.

For the record, they did offer me a set trade-in value on the car if I wanted to turn my car in at the time the R arrived, but the price was about $2K less. I honestly was thinking this is what they were going to offer me in the first place. But to them, the market is stronger right now because Flat Rock has not been producing cars for 3-4 months and cars haven't started coming in yet, so made sense that the offer would be stronger now.
Sponsored