NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Convertible GT & 2017 Edge Titanium
hmm, maybe there're some unknown stuff needs to be done to get waze working? I'll try power cycling both car and phone when I get off work and see if that helps.
I did all of that - with both cars. I would do a master reset but I know I did that after my last update of Sync 3.0 18025
Sponsored

ryanr24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Only thing I can think of was in a previous waze update I turned on the option to be able to control via a touchscreen, was looking for that option now, and can’t seem to find it

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if it could be that I am not using a Facebook linking (cause I am not on Facebook) and using a regular Waze login?

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I'll be installing build 18039 tonight and see if it helps. FYI, people on waze forum are reporting more or less the same, some sees waze, some don't, and it's really laggy according to the ones who has it working.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something interesting just happened, plugged in my phone and boom, waze is there... no idea what triggered it, was about to install build 18039 but I guess it's not needed anymore. But as mentioned before, it is REALLY REALLY laggy, it gets better after a while and if the screen of the phone is not turned off (i.e. keep your phone displaying waze).

Sponsored

asteele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo Titanium
That's great (sort of)... can you be really detailed as to how you are connected and what state your iPhone was left in at the time?

I have done lots of playing without success (yet) - but your post gives me hope! :)

Sync3 enabled for mobile apps by Bluetooth and USB?
iPhone connected by USB or Bluetooth or both?
iPhone on, unlocked and running Waze?
iPhone plugged into media USB port (so not just a charge only USB port)

Does the Waze app just appear on the bottom Sync3 toolbar, just inserting itself alongside the mobile apps button?

Any settings to check in Sync3 other than ensure it is enabled for mobile apps?
Any settings on iPhone to check/tweak too?

When I search for apps, it always finds a couple on my Android device, but never anything on my iPhone.

If you please get a moment to advise on questions above, I would be most grateful!

Thanks, Antony.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Something interesting just happened, plugged in my phone and boom, waze is there... no idea what triggered it, was about to install build 18039 but I guess it's not needed anymore. But as mentioned before, it is REALLY REALLY laggy, it gets better after a while and if the screen of the phone is not turned off (i.e. keep your phone displaying waze).
thanks for the update! I guess they're gonna polish the edges to make it smoother

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's great (sort of)... can you be really detailed as to how you are connected and what state your iPhone was left in at the time?

I have done lots of playing without success (yet) - but your post gives me hope! :)

Sync3 enabled for mobile apps by Bluetooth and USB?
iPhone connected by USB or Bluetooth or both?
iPhone on, unlocked and running Waze?
iPhone plugged into media USB port (so not just a charge only USB port)

Does the Waze app just appear on the bottom Sync3 toolbar, just inserting itself alongside the mobile apps button?

Any settings to check in Sync3 other than ensure it is enabled for mobile apps?
Any settings on iPhone to check/tweak too?

When I search for apps, it always finds a couple on my Android device, but never anything on my iPhone.

If you please get a moment to advise on questions above, I would be most grateful!

Thanks, Antony.
well, iphone needs usb to use applink, but my bluetooth is connected as well. The first time it popped up my waze wasn't running, but iphone was unlocked, then when I tapped on the icon in sync 3 it said something like "waiting for phone to response". It then turned to the waze screen after I launched the app on my iphone. Also the navigation icon will turn into the waze icon after you launch it. Enable mobile apps via usb needs to be on, but all other settings are default.
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
What is the most recent update that needs to be running for this to work?

Sponsored

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
That's great, thanks - obviously some witchcraft is also required then!
Agreed - really sets me off this Waze thing (I actually wished Apple would just open up 3rd Party Navs).

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed - really sets me off this Waze thing (I actually wished Apple would just open up 3rd Party Navs).
Yep, that's what we all wish for, but I don't see it happening, almost makes me want to jailbreak my iphone again.

asteele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo Titanium
My preferred mobile device is a BlackBerry KeyONE - running Android, but I do also have an iPhone as well... but it is usually the BlackBerry which is connected into Sync3.

So, until this morning I hadn't really played much with the iPhone and Sync3 apps.

I don't have Waze working yet - but I did learn a few things.

With my iPhone connected to Sync3 by USB cable, if I was in the Sync3 "mobile apps" section - then I would only see the "find mobile apps" button in the top left... no apps are offered at all.

I downloaded an app called "HearMeOut" which supports Sync3 AppLink on an iPhone, and the very second I launched the app - an icon for it appeared on the Sync3 display. I did not need to hit the "find mobile apps" button first.

I also learned that if I killed the app on the iPhone, it instantly disappeared from Sync3.
I re-launched the app - and it instantly re-appeared in Sync3.

However, if I turned off the app from being able to run in the background on the iPhone, then it only showed in Sync3 when the app was actively displayed on the iPhone screen. If I allowed "background app refresh" on the iPhone for this app, then it would appear in Sync3 just as long as it was a running app, but it didn't need to be on the iPhone screen in order to be showing as an app under Sync3 (but you would expect it to have to be actively on the iPhone screen if you were to use it on Sync3.)

So - I think I have proven that my iPhone and Sync3 are working correctly, and I can use an app OK... it's just not Waze. My guess is that there is a further Waze update to still come, maybe the update is staggered by region a bit to avoid a DOS attack!

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yep, that's what we all wish for, but I don't see it happening, almost makes me want to jailbreak my iphone again.
I wish Apple would allow third party navigation apps, but doubt it happens anytime soon. One good navigation app I plan on using when I receive my Mustang is Sygic. That works on iOS and Sync 3. It works the same way as Waze. Only downside is Sygic isn't free for the car connectivity feature and lifetime maps, but they do go on sale regularly. Sygic is using TomTom maps and traffic information.
Sponsored