2018 GT BBQ Ticking (typewriter) Noise

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
My oil changed 2 days ago at 1300miles. And todayI realized in the parking lot when I was searching for a spot on 1st gear. when I stoped I was able to reproduce the sound at 1500-1700 rpm. clutch in out doesnt make any difference.
It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine but not able to really pinpoint. It might be coming from anywhere. clutch in or out doesnt make any difference. Here the videos how it sounds I added the time points where it ticks in video descriptions:
[ame]
[ame]

After a long research I learned that it is called BBQ ticking or type writer noise and I realized a lot 5.0 has been suffering from this issue with 3 different scenarios;
1. some belt tension issue
2. early oil change. some people claims that the car come with special oil (or oil additive) that eliminates this noise from the factory.
3. also people started have this issue after random oil changes.

I realized I might be having it because of an early oil change. I changed the oil at 1300 thinking that car manufactured on November 2017 and it's been almost 6 months sitting in the car... also some people was recommending oil change after 1000miles break in. also I had a track day at 1200. I though it would be good to have fresh oil in the car. :doh:

this video is not mine but I guess it captures the sound better than me. and mine is also sounds exactly same.
[ame]

I am gonna take it to the dealer on monday, but I afraid they will not hear it or they will say it is normal as usual :frusty:

Any suggestions?

Some people suggest that motorcraft xl 17 oil additive fixes it. But since there is no clear explanation that what motorcraft xl 17 does. so, I am not gonna put it in my motor. :shrug:

Edit: AC on or off doesnt matter
Edit2: I only have x-pipe resonator delete the rest is stock
Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
Here's a suggestion, don't worry about it. It really doesn't affect the performance or longevity of the car so it's pointless to stress over it. My car makes the noise and I could care less. It runs great and it's been making the noise for over 32000 miles. The previous mustang I had did it too and it lasted over 120,000 miles making the same noise.

Tony

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
Here's a suggestion, don't worry about it. It really doesn't affect the performance or longevity of the car so it's pointless to stress over it. My car makes the noise and I could care less. It runs great and it's been making the noise for over 32000 miles. The previous mustang I had did it too and it lasted over 120,000 miles making the same noise.

Tony
Unfortunately I am a little obsessive when it comes to random noises in the car. It will drive me crazy but thanks for relieving my stress for now.

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
i have it to. alot of my buddies have it. everyone ive seen in person has it too. wouldn't stress about it. although it is annoying. but recently i did just switch over to full synthetic oil and i haven't heard it. only been a few days so we will see.

OP
OP
ponyv6

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
i have it to. alot of my buddies have it. everyone ive seen in person has it too. wouldn't stress about it. although it is annoying. but recently i did just switch over to full synthetic oil and i haven't heard it. only been a few days so we will see.
please let me know probably I will change again to full synthetic soon.

Sponsored

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone NOT have this sound? I'm starting to think it makes this sound on every MT 2018.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Was only a matter of time though before 18 owners with no clue what direct injection sounds like to start making threads :lol:

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Was only a matter of time though before 18 owners with no clue what direct injection sounds like to start making threads :lol:
I have a Speed6 which has DI and it doesn't make anything remotely close to this sound. There is no generic 'DI' sound...

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Then why do other DI cars not have this sound? Or what about 15-17 owners who DO have this issue but obviously do not have DI?

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Are you kidding me? Was my 2016 a DI? It has this noise and the dealer at first heard it but then all of a sudden they couldn't.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
My 15 had it. Put headers on it, went away. My 18 has it...guess what’s next lol!

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
My 17 does not have it, but it wouldn't worry me if it did. I come from the world of Evo's, where all kinds of noises that would normally freak someone out are considered "normal". I would say the community has determined that it's just an unfortunate characteristic of the Coyote. Do your best to ignore it.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Sounds like exhaust manifold/heat shield expansion or cooling. Subarus have all kinds of ticks because of this. It's not an issue. If it bothers you maybe change to headers like the other poster suggested.
Sponsored