Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I am start g to agree. I wonder if these 72s are just not the best I know in my 02 turbo I ran ford 80lb and they tuned in perfectly.
the Id-1050x's are my tuners favorite injectors...
Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
For those who have been having an issue with the Whipple tune and have replaced the cats; what kind of MPG have you been getting.

I'm curious if having the plugs gapped incorrectly would cause a significant decrease in MPG.

If I wait until my car is warmed up and reset the mileage calculator once I start moving, best city MPG I can get shifting before 2k rpm is 10.x MPG if I catch all green lights coming home. If I don't consciously try to get the best MPG and shift normally between 2 and 3k RPM I'm averaging about 8 mpg city.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
For those who have been having an issue with the Whipple tune and have replaced the cats; what kind of MPG have you been getting.

I'm curious if having the plugs gapped incorrectly would cause a significant decrease in MPG.

If I wait until my car is warmed up and reset the mileage calculator once I start moving, best city MPG I can get shifting before 2k rpm is 10.x MPG if I catch all green lights coming home. If I don't consciously try to get the best MPG and shift normally between 2 and 3k RPM I'm averaging about 8 mpg city.
That is what I am getting.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
the Id-1050x's are my tuners favorite injectors...
Paul makes the best injectors hands down and then provides the best characterization information. If I had the power to use them on something at work I would.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I have a new Whipple Stage 2 on ordered for my 2017 and sure hope all these issues are taken care in the new tune.What does Whipple say about the 72# injectors in their Kit?

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Makes me wonder if its worth getting a Beefcake Special/tuner kit custom tune just to get the Id-1050x's.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT

Zero issues with my Whipple. I am averaging 19-21 mpg. If I didn't have to sit in so much traffic I could probably see 22-23 average. For reference, Stock I was getting 26-27 on good trips. Lund tune/steeda CAI I was getting 22-24. The automatic shift points have a lot to do with it. This is all what the gauge says not actual calculations with mileage and fuel.
2018-02-22_16.50.17.jpg

Last edited:

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Zero issues with my Whipple. I am averaging 19-21 mpg. If I didn't have to sit in so much traffic I could probably see 22-23 average. For reference, Stock I was getting 26-27 on good trips. Lund tune/steeda CAI I was getting 22-24. The automatic shift points have a lot to do with it. This is all what the gauge says not actual calculations with mileage and fuel.
no issues on the Whipple tune? or tuned by someone else?

Im between the Whipple stage 2 and the VMP Stage 2, Im really starting to lean towards the VMP because of this thread.......

monzter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
As someone who ordered the stage 2 Whipple just recently, I'm assuming that these are isolated issues. There must be hundreds of cars (if not more) out there running the 72# injectors and canned Whipple tune without this issue.

Fingers crossed that the new tune fixes this for you guys.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT

Im between the Whipple stage 2 and the VMP Stage 2, Im really starting to lean towards the VMP because of this thread.......
Whipple tune for stage 1. It works so good it's hard to convince myself I need to tune it any other way.

The issue seems to be stage 2 related, but again from the limited info release on the issue, I don't think a new tune from whipple is going to solve a extremely lean condition at steady state part throttle. I'm still waiting for some one to recieve the update and confirm fix or not. Usually isolated issues are just like any other time experiences and that's an error with install.

Has any one with the issue actually looked at their injectors and confirmed they really have 72# and not got a mixed up with the 55#. I know my whipple kit have a ton of extra bolts and a few that were missing.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP

I believe the issue I have stems from the dealership not gapping the spark plugs properly at time of install. Car has just a tick over 7,900 miles on it (4 mile round trip commute to work) and has had the Whipple installed since day 1 when I picked it up back in July 2016.

Just recently over the past few hundred miles have I had issues with misfires and the cats shitting the bed. Although this tune may have something to do with it, more than likely the mis-gapped plugs are what did me in.

I will say with the stock Whipple tune, I made great power and the car is fun as hell to drive. I do not regret going with Whipple and their tune.

I have always found Whipple to be very helpful with any questions I have had and will patiently await this latest tune revision.

Do not let this thread sway you away from Whipple.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Whipple tune for stage 1. It works so good it's hard to convince myself I need to tune it any other way.

The issue seems to be stage 2 related, but again from the limited info release on the issue, I don't think a new tune from whipple is going to solve a extremely lean condition at steady state part throttle. I'm still waiting for some one to recieve the update and confirm fix or not. Usually isolated issues are just like any other time experiences and that's an error with install.

Has any one with the issue actually looked at their injectors and confirmed they really have 72# and not got a mixed up with the 55#. I know my whipple kit have a ton of extra bolts and a few that were missing.
have you taken it to the track or dyno? I have an auto as well

I believe the issue I have stems from the dealership not gapping the spark plugs properly at time of install. Car has just a tick over 7,900 miles on it (4 mile round trip commute to work) and has had the Whipple installed since day 1 when I picked it up back in July 2016.

Just recently over the past few hundred miles have I had issues with misfires and the cats shitting the bed. Although this tune may have something to do with it, more than likely the mis-gapped plugs are what did me in.

I will say with the stock Whipple tune, I made great power and the car is fun as hell to drive. I do not regret going with Whipple and their tune.

I have always found Whipple to be very helpful with any questions I have had and will patiently await this latest tune revision.

Do not let this thread sway you away from Whipple.
so have you had any issues with cats after discovering the plugs were gapped wrong?

DkStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Just installed the stg2 gen3 no driveability issues at all. So smooth through the entire rev range. Did a 5th gear pull today from around 40-150 just pulls and pulls so clean and effortless. Don’t let this thread turn you away from the whipple it really sucks for the guys with the issues in this thread, But there must be hundreds and hundreds of these kits on the road with no troubles. I’m sure whipple gonna get these issues fixed.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

Calibration issues related to the injectors aside, aftermarket cal files aren't apples to apples. Whipple is using their own modified OS with Ford's blessing, VMP/Lund/PBD aren't modeling the same amount of information that Whipple has access to. A better idea would be to modify the Whipple cal (which is designed for boosted engines) with the ID 1050x characterization.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Calibration issues related to the injectors aside, aftermarket cal files aren't apples to apples. Whipple is using their own modified OS with Ford's blessing, VMP/Lund/PBD aren't modeling the same amount of information that Whipple has access to. A better idea would be to modify the Whipple cal (which is designed for boosted engines) with the ID 1050x characterization.
Many do this
Sponsored