Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

S550IngotGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 6 Speed 3.55s Red Leather
I read somewhere that a design change occurred with the S550 evaporators that sensors were now mounted in the actual evaporator coil instead of having the sensors in the non-pressurized areas of the a/c duct work. The sensors required a hole and the welds around the sensor in the evaporator are failing, causing the leaks.

Considering they now are on their 3rd part number, my guess is there is an issue with how these are mounted and/or vibration issues. Of course, it could still be Ford being cheap. Who knows. As of right now I'm probably looking into an extended warranty.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Considering they now are on their 3rd part number, my guess is there is an issue with how these are mounted and/or vibration issues. Of course, it could still be Ford being cheap. Who knows. As of right now I'm probably looking into an extended warranty.
Whatever it is, apparently Ford hasn't put any good engineers on the case to determine the root cause and a permanent fix. That's what good companies with good engineers do. I'm betting Ford has lost quite a few future customers due to having multiple AC evaporator failures on their Mustang.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I read somewhere that a design change occurred with the S550 evaporators that sensors were now mounted in the actual evaporator coil instead of having the sensors in the non-pressurized areas of the a/c duct work. The sensors required a hole and the welds around the sensor in the evaporator are failing, causing the leaks.
Is this something that will be changed with an AC evaporator swap-out on a 2015~2017 Mustang, or a design change incorporated specifically in the 2018+ Mustang?

Rev_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
What is the latest part number for an '16 Ecoboost? Thanks.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
My a/c just failed dammit!!!! Bought the car december 2015! It only lasted 2 years 2 months. Its the first thing that fails in the car no other problems whats o ever. But yes disapointed cause i have other cars for example a mazda 323 year 2003 and the A/C on that car has never failed. Taking my car to the dealer on monday i hope they fix it fast.

UPDATE:
Got the car back from the dealer they told me the blend door that goes on the evaporator core was stucked they fixed it and said that if it gets stucked again they will change it but that implies changing the the whole evaporator and it had no leaks.
The a/c is running fine. Will see how long it last.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I heard enough about this issue to move me towards selling or trading for an '18..My warranty up in May this year..I'm sure with my luck the a/c will fail this summer.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
lol, why would u go w/ an 18. who knows if they fixed it yet.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
lol, why would u go w/ an 18. who knows if they fixed it yet.
I believe I read a thread here on M6g about they fix coming back in mid '16..Have any '17 owners had the same a/c problem?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66483&page=8

Post #112 is by the owner of a 2017. A number of cars are having failures a second time meaning the new part isn't right either; to some extent it doesn't look good for MY17s if they have the same 'new' part.

Wondering if anyone here is out if warranty and had their a/c fail, and if Ford came to the party for a 'known' issue.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Being that it is happening mostly to mustangs in very hot climates, texas fla. Etc, i think it is vehicles parked in the sun getting so hot inside and when starting up the car the heat transfer is making them fail.

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Being that it is happening mostly to mustangs in very hot climates, texas fla. Etc, i think it is vehicles parked in the sun getting so hot inside and when starting up the car the heat transfer is making them fail.
I have to disagree. Mine failed in my '16 and it is parked in my garage at my house or in a parking garage at work. And I'm in north Alabama where summers are much milder than Texas.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66483&page=8

Post #112 is by the owner of a 2017. A number of cars are having failures a second time meaning the new part isn't right either; to some extent it doesn't look good for MY17s if they have the same 'new' part.

Wondering if anyone here is out if warranty and had their a/c fail, and if Ford came to the party for a 'known' issue.
His was built prior to Sept 16 though.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I don't think any meaningful fix was made to any 2015-2017 Mustangs. Several people have had the revised evaporator fail and then fail again.

I have an early 17 build and my AC works for now but I am getting the weird smell when initially turning it on sometimes. I also feel like it isn't as cool as other cars on its coolest temperature setting.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I don't think any meaningful fix was made to any 2015-2017 Mustangs. Several people have had the revised evaporator fail and then fail again.

I have an early 17 build and my AC works for now but I am getting the weird smell when initially turning it on sometimes. I also feel like it isn't as cool as other cars on its coolest temperature setting.
Supposedly the newest revision to the part was not in the early 17 builds, so you might have the early signs of evaporator failure.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I have to disagree. Mine failed in my '16 and it is parked in my garage at my house or in a parking garage at work. And I'm in north Alabama where summers are much milder than Texas.
Interesting! Is yours a premium or base?
Sponsored