Sponsored

Window creaking

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I just picked up the convertible this weekend so it doesn't have many miles on it. We test drove it a number of times and drove it on Saturday for a couple hours without any creaking. On Sunday it was a great day so I drove it with the top down. Today in the morning the driver side window was making creaking noises, sounded like they were coming from where the glass meets the soft top. This evening I drove with the windows down until getting close to home and put the windows up and the passenger wise window was creaking at the top like crazy.

I put some dielectric grease in the soft top weather stripping where the glass meets the top in hopes of taking care of the creaking.

In reading previous threads in the forum it sounds like creaking isn't common. For those that have run into it how did you solve it? Should I drop the top and put it back up to see if that helps?
Sponsored

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Wipe off the grease and get WD40 SILICONE spray (CAPS used to emphasize silicone rather than the regular WD40). Raise (or lower) your top halfway then spray the silicone all along and into the weatherstrip channels where it meets the top of both front and rear side windows. This will stop the squeaking as well as allow the rear windows to raise to the full-up position...many of us have had this problem (as you can see in this forum) and the silicone spray does the trick! ENJOY your vert!

OP
OP

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will try it out. Outside of the creaking from today I am loving the Mustang.

The dielectric grease is a non-conductive high heat silicone lubricant. Corvettes have been using it for years on the removable tops so I have some handy. It is a bit more expensive though due to the additional properties it offers over standard silicone lubricant.

OP
OP

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't have any creaking when driving today, the lube seems to have done the trick.

First day I was able to drop the top and drive home. All of the days stress was blown out of the car as I drove. :)

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have the issue from time to time. I just make sure that the weather strip stays clean. It is a convertible so there are many joints and moving parts that rub together.

Sponsored

Gcorry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Hi guys, apologies for resurrecting an old thread but i need a walk through on where to spray the WD40 Silicone spray. I am useless and need to make sure i am spraying in the correct place!

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Very simply, FIRST use a household all-purpose spray cleaner/degreaser on all the rubber gaskets on both the A-Pillar and the convertible top where it meets the windows. Spray the cleaner onto a CLEAN rag then wipe down the rubber gaskets. This is best accomplished with the top open halfway. Take the time to make sure all the dirt is removed from all rubber surfaces and especially into the grooves. Once ALL the dirt is gone and the gaskets are BONE DRY, then spray the WD-40 SILICONE onto ALL the gaskets. Use a CLEAN rag to distribute the silicone along and ESPECIALLY into the grooves. Those grooves are where the rubber meets the glass and the source of squeaks if not treated.
My ā€˜Vert is 20 months old and Iā€™ve done this treatment every 3 months. NEVER a squeak, rattle or leak!
If we were close by Iā€™d gladly come by and do this for you...itā€™s fun!

Gcorry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Hi Bob, gave this a go and it has definitely helped reduce the creaks and groans, will give it a really good clean this weekend and see if it gets better again.
Sponsored