Sponsored

Detailed Ford Performance Power Pack 2 Review

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
Waiting for them to release this for the 2018 MT82.
Sponsored

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey good video man. The base cars do have drive modes except theyre two separate buttons and snow mode is missing. If you double press the traction control button it goes into sport. And when the car goes into sport it does get the same "increased throttle response" like the premiums. Its a pretty big difference in the way the pedal feels. However it doesnt get rid of that lag that everyone feels with these cars. What gets rid of the lag is that 40 lb of torque you get from the tune. Torque management cuts power so its harder to peel out and its easier on the drive train. Normal mode is already 1 to 1 throttle pedal ratio so its the closest youll ever get to throttle by cable feel.

OP
OP
Fredboy

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
Hey good video man. The base cars do have drive modes except theyre two separate buttons and snow mode is missing. If you double press the traction control button it goes into sport. And when the car goes into sport it does get the same "increased throttle response" like the premiums. Its a pretty big difference in the way the pedal feels. However it doesnt get rid of that lag that everyone feels with these cars. What gets rid of the lag is that 40 lb of torque you get from the tune. Torque management cuts power so its harder to peel out and its easier on the drive train. Normal mode is already 1 to 1 throttle pedal ratio so its the closest youll ever get to throttle by cable feel.
Thanks four watching. I'm aware of sport mode (I have used it a lot), but I know for a fact that it has absolutely no effect on throttle mapping for base GT mustangs (based on first hand experience and it can be seen that there is no change in HP Tuners software).
Sport mode only loosens up the stability control settings; (same as v8 and ecoboost F-150s) it is not the same sport mode as the premium models. Anyone who says there's a difference is experiencing a placebo effect (I don't know if sport mode is different on base performance pack GTs though).

OP
OP
Fredboy

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
Waiting for them to release this for the 2018 MT82.
The tuning is a lot more aggressive from the factory on gen 3 coyotes, due, in part, to having 4 knock sensors. As a result, I think that if Ford Performance does offer a power pack for 2018s, it'll only be the setup that's on Bullitt with the gt350 manifold.

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks four watching. I'm aware of sport mode (I have used it a lot), but I know for a fact that it has absolutely no effect on throttle mapping for base GT mustangs (based on first hand experience and it can be seen that there is no change in HP Tuners software).
Sport mode only loosens up the stability control settings; (same as v8 and ecoboost F-150s) it is not the same sport mode as the premium models. Anyone who says there's a difference is experiencing a placebo effect (I don't know if sport mode is different on base performance pack GTs though).
Oh I see well I have a base with performance package so thats why im feeling it. I wish it stayed the same like the base car though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fredboy

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
Can you get the performance pack on autos? Great vid bro.
Yes, the power packs are available for automatics and feature a revised shift schedule and firmer shifts.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
This was a great review man. Like you said in the beginning, no fluff, just straight to the point. Yeah it's a longer video but you cover everything you need to cover and that we need to know succinctly.

You should make more videos. Subscribed.
Agree and thank you for the video. I learned things about my car besides what you discussed regarding the PP2.

Monty17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Just wanted to say that I had been on the fence on going with a PP2 but after watching your video I ordered one and finally had it installed today by the dealer, I'm very happy with the results and can't wait for it to warm up so that the tires can get some traction

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
The tuning is a lot more aggressive from the factory on gen 3 coyotes, due, in part, to having 4 knock sensors. As a result, I think that if Ford Performance does offer a power pack for 2018s, it'll only be the setup that's on Bullitt with the gt350 manifold.
The gt350 IM doesn't look to be superior to the 2018 IM at the moment unfortunately according to the power pack thread. I searched "2018" in that thread and came up with comparisons that made it clear. PP2 for 2018 would be pretty damn glorious.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fredboy

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
The gt350 IM doesn't look to be superior to the 2018 IM at the moment unfortunately according to the power pack thread. I searched "2018" in that thread and came up with comparisons that made it clear. PP2 for 2018 would be pretty damn glorious.
2018 heads flow more and the blocks have a little more displacement allowing it to make more power at higher rpm than a gen 2 coyote. There's a reason Bullitt comes with one.

Monty17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Took it out for a good ride today it got up to 50 here in Virginia and I have to say that those IATs are running at least 20 degrees higher when driving, in traffic they got way up to 110, the closed oem air intake ran a lot cooler.. curious to see how it handles when I move to Texas this summer where it gets to 110F in the summer...

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Good review! I'm loving my pp 2!! Im running 11's with a factory warranty and a pretty front end!!!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
There's a reason Bullitt comes with one.
To justify the $55k you will pay for a Bullitt and its 10 extra hp. But on a serious note, tuners are already easily making 20whp with tune alone and 25-30whp with tune+intake on the 18.

RafaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, PP, Ruby Red
Just wanted to say that I had been on the fence on going with a PP2 but after watching your video I ordered one and finally had it installed today by the dealer, I'm very happy with the results and can't wait for it to warm up so that the tires can get some traction

[MENTION=31046]Monty17GT[/MENTION]
I'm also in NoVa, where did you get it installed if you dont mind me asking?? :)
Sponsored