2016 Ecoboost Mustang Convertible
Same problem, squirted silicon in the window track, works ok now
Sponsored

Myfirst4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
My car is under warranty but since I had the spray for other things I thought I would try it so I didnt have to drive 30 minutes to the dealer, wait for a service tech, wait for the fix, and then drive 30 minutes home. 30 seconds and a tiny bit of silicone spray in the weatherstrip channel and mine both work perfectly. There isn't even any silicone on my windows.

popz41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Lightning Blue Convertible, 3.55s
I also had this issue with my 2017. Spray silicone seems to help for now.

ivonovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible Shadow Black, 17/Feb
righto....greetings from sunny Sydney. Can i request, all those who have posted here with problems around the rear windows not closing fully at any time (might be fixed now with silicone), to please have a look at the alignment of the roof where it meets the windscreen bar and let me know whether it is even or misaligned?
I have a feeling that misalignment of the roof mechanism is what causes this issue. My earlier post at https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68872 has some snaps of what I am talking about.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
righto....greetings from sunny Sydney. Can i request, all those who have posted here with problems around the rear windows not closing fully at any time (might be fixed now with silicone), to please have a look at the alignment of the roof where it meets the windscreen bar and let me know whether it is even or misaligned?
I have a feeling that misalignment of the roof mechanism is what causes this issue. My earlier post at https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68872 has some snaps of what I am talking about.
I took mine in for this issue, and they had to somehow adjust the rear window. They said it was a small amount too high and was contacting the top, works great now and no leaks. I did not see how they fixed it though, was not in the shop.

Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine to the dealer to get fixed and now there's a rattle in the same area...

Back to the dealer again. They want me to test drive with a mechanic to point out the rattle, should take ~1 car length to point it out...

TommyCardello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
After buying the car I had the same issue.
Dealership replaced regulators. That helped but not completely. Passenger side still had this issue.

I have found one more owner with the same issue. He went to a dealership, they greased it up and it works for him.
In my case, I went to a different dealership and they fixed it just for 30$.
It was a misalignment. So, they aligned it properly and it works perfectly now.

I also found that a lot of 2015-2017 owners were affected by this problem.

Hope it helps to someone.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I picked up a 2016 GT convertible used last November. I looked into it's history and discovered it's one warranty visit was some kind of adjustment to one or both of the rear windows. I don't know exactly what the complaint was and I've had no problems with it myself. What prompted me to comment here was what others have said about using silicone to clean and lube the weatherstrips. This is my third convertible and have serviced the weatherstrips on all of them with silicone spray. It not only helps smooth window operation but helps to preserve the weatherstrips themselves which is obviously important for a drop top but also important for cars like the fastbacks where the door windows have to seal in the weatherstrips because they don't have door frames around them. I just apply the silicone to a rag and give the weatherstrips a good rubbing down. So far, the windows work well and I've not had any water leaks.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Nice post.

What brand/type of silicone did you buy? Are the weatherstrips the rubber that sits between the body and window?

Your info is appreciated.

thanks

CVCashmere

I picked up a 2016 GT convertible used last November. I looked into it's history and discovered it's one warranty visit was some kind of adjustment to one or both of the rear windows. I don't know exactly what the complaint was and I've had no problems with it myself. What prompted me to comment here was what others have said about using silicone to clean and lube the weatherstrips. This is my third convertible and have serviced the weatherstrips on all of them with silicone spray. It not only helps smooth window operation but helps to preserve the weatherstrips themselves which is obviously important for a drop top but also important for cars like the fastbacks where the door windows have to seal in the weatherstrips because they don't have door frames around them. I just apply the silicone to a rag and give the weatherstrips a good rubbing down. So far, the windows work well and I've not had any water leaks.

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I am using dielectric grease which is a high grade silicone grease (lube). This is what we have been using to stop the Corvette tops from squeaking for years.

It is different from standard silicone grease (lube) in that it is non-conductive, is able to hold up to higher temperatures and will last longer.

Sponsored

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I had the same problem when I got my 16 vert. Quick trip to the dealership and a simple adjustment and I was on my way again. Have you checked to see if you just need an adjustment?

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I have the same problem now. I stop-gapped it rolling the rear windows up, then down a smidge and trying to roll them up again. It seems to "pop" into place on the driver side when I do that and all's good. I will absolutely get some dielectrice grease for the top channel and see if it helps. Mine started doing it at about 10k miles.

panhandler62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was doing that.... worked fine with the top down, got stuck with the top up. The dealer lubed the [censored] out of them and they have been fine since.
Sponsored