Sponsored

Whipple + MAK Delete + ATAK = TOO DAMN LOUD

torch2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust installed on my car, and a whipple kit is going on in the next week or so.

In preparation for the Whipple, I got a hold of the MAK cat delete setup and installed it the other day. The in-cabin volume is actually not bad at all, but I'm getting the feeling that outside i'm now in the "ticket for excessive volume" territory. Also, I'm not a big fan of the note/"blat" it makes when under load < 3k rpm now.

So what are my options here?

I've read on here about Whipple + cats being a potential issue, so not sure I want to revert my setup.

Is there something else I can add on, maybe a glass pack of some sort on to the cat delete pipes?

Recommendations please!
Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
You may be able to get the quieter set of the axle-back portion from another Borla catback such that it'll be an easy swap for the rear mufflers so no new cutting … would say you'd have to contact Borla directly for that though.

Btw, if you're in the Toronto area PM me.

OP
OP
torch2k

torch2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You may be able to get the quieter set of the axle-back portion from another Borla catback such that it'll be an easy swap for the rear mufflers so no new cutting … would say you'd have to contact Borla directly for that though.

Btw, if you're in the Toronto area PM me.
Yeah, with all the curves in the pipe there is not much that could be done at the back other than a muffler swap. Of course, my ATAKs are brand new so I don't want to spend a whole bunch more on that end.

The cat delete pipes up front are long and straight though, that's where I see an opportunity to work on it.

I'm in New Brunswick btw. Come to Atlantic Nationals in a few weeks and say hi.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Vibrant resonators on the cat deletes. Possibly find someone to trade axlebacks with for the S types. Is yours 3" or 2.5?

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Solo Perforamce sells resonators with internal baffles like Stainless Works has but with actual sound deadening material surrounding them. Go with the MR Series as the QR Series has a restrictor plate inside as I seem to recall. These will likely work the best if you can fit them. I've used them before and liked them. They're also in Canada so customs fees & fx won't kill you.

https://solo-performance.com/solorez-resonators

OP
OP
torch2k

torch2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vibrant resonators on the cat deletes. Possibly find someone to trade axlebacks with for the S types. Is yours 3" or 2.5?
Perfect, I will look into these. My ATAKs are 2.5".

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I have made this same mistake way to many times (making exhaust too loud). Keeping my 18 stock exhaust.

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
I’ve heard (could be wrong) that your exhaust system gets quieter once you go boost. I would wait until you have the Whipple installed before making any moves.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I’ve heard (could be wrong) that your exhaust system gets quieter once you go boost. I would wait until you have the Whipple installed before making any moves.
Turbo boost yes but supercharger I doubt it.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Turbochargers, yes. A supercharger will actually make it louder (bigger booms, more noise but no muffling via the turbine).

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vibrant resonators on the cat deletes.
This is your best option. You can install them before the axle so it's a very straight forward addition. The resonators will lower the volume of your exhaust setup back down to loud instead of pull me over loud while also clearing out some of the harshness you're hearing.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If your still running 2.5 exhaust then weld in a Magnaflow 12468 Trux.

It's the same basic resonator in the CJPP cut and clamp. Lots of great reviews on its ability to tone down the rasp and volume of the exhaust.

If your 3" there isn't a lot out there.....your pretty much stuck with adding bullets

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Borla touring resonator or MagnaFlow 12468 are what you want to do!
Sponsored