Sponsored

Ambient lighting won't stay on?

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Hey, first time mustang owner here and I have a question. The ambient lighting on my premium plus package (with digital dash) '18 eb is off every time I get into the car and doesn't turn on unless I hit the memory seat button on the door. Then if I shut the car off off, lock, then restart the car it is off again. Is this normal?? I've looked at all the settings and can't figure out how to keep it on...
Sponsored

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Doesn't sound normal to me. I have a 16 ecoboost and my lighting is on whenever my lights are on. Did you happen to maybe have the ambient lights off and then saved the settings when you save the memory seat settings? I don't don't have that option so not sure exactly how that works. Just a thought....

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
Did you check on recalls? I seem to recall (sorry for the pun) some mention of a problem with the digital display on some of the 18s. I'm not sure if it's what's going on with yours, but there's a known problem and Ford's addressing it through their dealers.

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks I’ll ask. Already I have to go back because there’s a problem with the cover on the rear seat.
It’s funny looks like you almost have the same car as me but with the white stripe and fastback. The pony pack wheels look AMAZING against the lightning blue!

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Check your settings my friend. The lighting should come on when you open the door, or when you turn on your park or headlights.

Disclaimer: I'm going by what my '13 does. The dealer hasn't got my '18 PDIed yet, so it's still at the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In settings I just have ambient lighting checked. I have my headlight set to automatic, maybe that’s why it’s not getting triggered when I get in the car at night but I wonder what the seat memory buttons has to do with it turning on

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a 17, if the lights are on or when the interior lights come on opening a door the Ambient Lighting is on.

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do these cars ever have software glitches?? Anyways I’ll try turning off auto headlights and see how it works with me turning them on manually.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If ambient lighting is checked in the dash cluster menu, it’s on all the time.

I didn’t see anyone ask, but have you made sure that the illumination setting is turned up and is just not too dim?

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
Thanks I’ll ask. Already I have to go back because there’s a problem with the cover on the rear seat.
It’s funny looks like you almost have the same car as me but with the white stripe and fastback. The pony pack wheels look AMAZING against the lightning blue!
Actually, I just changed my avatar to show what I'm most likely to get - the black stripe. So it's closer to yours than you think!

You're right though - the wheels DO look pretty awesome next to that blue. Thanks for affirming my choice of combo! I'd been a little on the fence for a while, but I think I picked a winner here if how great yours looks is any indication.

Sponsored
OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love it. As you can see the black stripe looks really subtle even in direct sunlight but I sort of prefer it that way
C62F2139-437E-4418-995E-81929EF01AE9.jpeg

sed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Mine does the opposite, won't stay OFF! My box is unchecked, indication off but it's clearly on. When I check the box the lights stay on and then when I uncheck the box the lights go off, until I start my car again...

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Mine does the opposite, won't stay OFF! My box is unchecked, indication off but it's clearly on. When I check the box the lights stay on and then when I uncheck the box the lights go off, until I start my car again...
Ford, where quality is job 1. :eyebulge:

I'm wondering if doing a sort of reset would help. Just unhook the positive battery cable for approx. 5 - 10 minutes then hook 'er back up. That works for some electronic ills in the C7 Corvette. But, then again we are talking about a GM product. :headbonk:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sounds like someone coded it wrong in the As Built datasets...

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have the same problem. The ambient lighting works when I manually turn it on. If I stop the engine and exit the car it won’t turn back on when I get back in a few seconds later.
2018 GT A10 PP Mag
Cheers,
Sponsored