Sponsored

Insurance Problems

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I got a major shock last month on my credit card as it maxed out unexpectedly. It looked like geico doubled my payment for some reason so I called them and they said it was right as they just renewed my policy. It went from 130~ to 265! I did get two tickets last July (speed and a week or so later a seat belt) and my rates went up about 30 in August, but no idea it would double 6 months later. I tried calling around and allstate was going to give me a quote, but after checking my record they never called back. So I tried progressive and the online quote looked good (around 120 month and 50 down), but a couple days later they sent an updated quote of 210/m and 100 down).

I'm not sure whats going on as I've since tried several online quotes and they all look to be around 200/m with state min. coverage. I tried the general and safe auto. It sound like the speeding ticket I got back in Dec. of 15 is whats hurting me. I also have a history of numerous collision claims in the past, mostly for hitting deer for 4 or 5 years in a row and a couple others like a branch falling on my car and hitting a dog and also a part flying off a truck and hitting me. I know these are a lot, but they were not my fault and all over 2 years ago. I was with State Farm for years and they dropped me because of all the claims. Funny, I was just thinking of upgrading to an 18 if I could find a decent deal with low interest, but that looks to be out the window as I was barely breaking even before the insurance went up. Anyway, any ideas of other companies to try for cheap insurance or what I can do to get a better rate or am I screwed for awhile?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
It's the tickets. I got a ticket a little bit before my policy renewed and the rate barely changed because it didn't hit my record yet. The following renewal it jumped about $1000 for the 6 month policy from $2000 to $3000 (I'm young with a colorful record of moving violations)

I got quotes from everywhere, every well known company. They were all right around the same. None under $3k and a few were significantly higher (State farm was the highest).

I ended up going with Progressive because they gave me a huge discount for paying in full that none of the other companies offered. The same policy was $3k as everyone else on month to month, but I got a $600 discount for paying I full so it is only $2400. All of the other companies offered little to no discount for payment in full. That is the only way I was able to get a cheaper policy, it may work for you too.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm leaning towards them. They have the savings deductible bank that sounds interesting and the snapshot, but not sure about that.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Yeah, I'm leaning towards them. They have the savings deductible bank that sounds interesting and the snapshot, but not sure about that.
Snapshot? If I got that, they would cancel my insurance within 24 hours. :eek:

Reminds me when rental car companies were sending "tickets" to people who were speeding in their cars.

Thanks about the progressive info... that is great. I did not know they were providing rebates on paying in full.

Funny, they provided a nice quote... Geico provided me one over $750 six months ago.... now Geico is even with progressive. Neither one can touch my current company, although my current company don't know about the ticket I got two years ago.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I'm not sure if snapshot is a good idea in a mustang.... Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I'm not sure if snapshot is a good idea in a mustang.... Lol
probably not, but I actually drive pretty "normal" 95% of the time.

btw, I got denied by another insurance carrier today. He said it was all the tickets and to try back next dec. after one drops off.

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
I'm sure the tickets are playing a big part of your increase, but my 6-month premium went up almost 50% and I have no tickets/claims/accidents.

My insurance (currently) is with Allstate and they told me the increase was because of all of the insurance disasters (hurricanes/storms/etc.) throughout the US over the last 1-2 years. I checked with several other insurance companies and their rates were as high, or higher, than Allstate.

I'm not saying collusion, but....interesting.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
ahl395 makes me feel a lot better about my rate now! My last payment was $1170 for 6 months, but I'm hoping my turning 25 this year helps drive that even lower for my next renewal. I've been with Progressive for 5 years now though so it helps out with the loyalty discount as well.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
ahl395 makes me feel a lot better about my rate now! My last payment was $1170 for 6 months, but I'm hoping my turning 25 this year helps drive that even lower for my next renewal. I've been with Progressive for 5 years now though so it helps out with the loyalty discount as well.
Wow... that is a lot of cash... think I'd be in a civic driving it like a benz.

At your age, I did have a civic, then a tercel, and then 2 dr accords after that. Invested the money saved.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You’re not going to want to hear this... but........

In some States, a moving violation or insurance claim stays on your record 3yrs from the date of the incident. So even if you were to try and change Ins. Companies, they’re all gonna find out the same info that your current Ins. has on record - and they base their “quote” on those same events that you’re trying to get away from.

Also to note:
DMV POINTS are separate from Ins. POINTS. Meaning, if in your State any accrued violations or points come off of your State driving record for good driving (ie: no violations within 1 year of last violation) - the Ins. Co. still won’t remove the violation from their records until the 3rd anniversary date of that violation.

The other reason Auto and Home Owners Ins. rates are getting jacked (for those who have no claims or violations) is due to all of the recent weather related disasters. Your rates are getting jacked to provide payouts in the BILLIONS for all of the major losses claimed in the last 2 years.

Ins. sucks and really should be revamped industry wide - think about all of the $$$$ some people pay in for YEARS and NEVER make a claim EVER.... it’s really like a huge Pyramid scheme.

If you believe any Ins. info is incorrect on your record or that some events should have dissolved by now due to time passed, refute it with your agent.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Glad I could help :D :lol:

Wow... that is a lot of cash... think I'd be in a civic driving it like a benz.

At your age, I did have a civic, then a tercel, and then 2 dr accords after that. Invested the money saved.
I'd kill to pay $1170 lol. I'm about to renew my 6months for about $2400. While saving and planning finances for my Mustang I had to factor in the insurance cost as basically a second car payment lol.

You’re not going to want to hear this... but........

In some States, a moving violation or insurance claim stays on your record 3yrs from the date of the incident. So even if you were to try and change Ins. Companies, they’re all gonna find out the same info that your current Ins. has on record - and they base their “quote” on those same events that you’re trying to get away from.

Also to note:
DMV POINTS are separate from Ins. POINTS. Meaning, if in your State any accrued violations or points come off of your State driving record for good driving (ie: no violations within 1 year of last violation) - the Ins. Co. still won’t remove the violation from their records until the 3rd anniversary date of that violation.

The other reason Auto and Home Owners Ins. rates are getting jacked (for those who have no claims or violations) is due to all of the recent weather related disasters. Your rates are getting jacked to provide payouts in the BILLIONS for all of the major losses claimed in the last 2 years.

Ins. sucks and really should be revamped industry wide - think about all of the $$$$ some people pay in for YEARS and NEVER make a claim EVER.... it’s really like a huge Pyramid scheme.

If you believe any Ins. info is incorrect on your record or that some events should have dissolved by now due to time passed, refute it with your agent.
+1 I can confirm that violations stay on your insurance for at least three years. Regardless of DMV points, etc. And it'll show on every insurance provider. Only thing that changes is different insurers will view/weigh them differently.

I know with Progressive you can call from time to time and have them re-evaluate your record and they will change the price even mid-policy and send you a refund for the difference.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I'd kill to pay $1170 lol. I'm about to renew my 6months for about $2400. While saving and planning finances for my Mustang I had to factor in the insurance cost as basically a second car payment lol.
I had a similar situation... I purchased a motorcycle for four months since we were leaving for a 6 month deployment. This was decades ago....

$2400 makes my head hurt and makes me feel sad. I might buy a freaking bicycle if someone quoted me a number like that. I could pay it but I don't think I could wrap my head around writing that check. For insurance? Damn.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar situation... I purchased a motorcycle for four months since we were leaving for a 6 month deployment. This was decades ago....

$2400 makes my head hurt and makes me feel sad. I might buy a freaking bicycle if someone quoted me a number like that. I could pay it but I don't think I could wrap my head around writing that check. For insurance? Damn.
Yeah, it really sucks. Nothing I can do about it though unfortunately so I don't let it bother me. Hopefully as time goes on more violations will drop off my record and bring the premium down.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess it does pay to shop around! I was almost ready to settle with one of the "somewhat" reasonable quotes I got in the past couple weeks when I finally got a call from allstate and when combined with the house insurance, it will be about $100 less a month or about 10 less than it was before it went up last month and the house insurance will be about 20 less. To top it off the coverages look to be better and it also includes vanishing deductible and accident forgiveness.
Sponsored