Sponsored

Time for new tires on my 2015 GT, suggestions?

Jus4Kix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium 6MT in Guard Metallic
I've racked up 23k km (about 14,000 miles) on my 2015 GT and the original Pirelli P-zeros are just about bald. Time for new tires. The car has the factory 20" wheels with 265/35R20 tires, which seem to be the hardest to find and most expensive 20" tires on Earth.

I've checked the online retailers and tires in this size are more than double the price of one size larger 275/35R20 or one size smaller 255/35R20. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the 275's because I couldn't bring myself to go smaller than stock, but I'm wondering if the 275's might rub, especially on the front. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Do you really want pzeros again? I see you live in NS. These tires are terrible for grip when cold. Tons of other options out there (and cheaper) that'll perform better also last longer too.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Nitto 555 G2's come in that size and they're a little cheaper than the Firestones. I've had very good experience with that tire, both as a street and HPDE track tire, though in different sizing than what you're looking for.

I'm running 285s and 295s on the front on 10" rims and there's no clearance problems at all.

OP
OP

Jus4Kix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm definitely not getting P-zeros again. Monopoly is right, they're terrible when cold. I don't drive the Mustang in the winter, but I do drive it until the salt is put down, and let me tell you, when you see a break in traffic and nail it, it creates a butt-puckering experience. Put on a pretty impressive show for the kids in the oncoming school bus thought. Also, I'm not spending $800+ for another set of tires that's only gonna last 23,000 km (14k miles).

I'm actually thinking of getting an all-season tire. I don't drive it in winter but I do live in an area that gets a hell of a lot of rain, and I don't race the car - in fact I hardly drive it at all, hence the low mileage. I'm thinking of these ones:

https://www.tires-easy.ca/275-35-20/nexen-tires/n7000-plus/tirecode/14999NXK

They seem to have good reviews and have a treadwear rating of 560. The tread pattern looks like it would be good on wet roads as well. They'd probably last the life of the car at the rate I'm putting miles on.

Also, would the traction control/ABS have kittens if I were to put 275/35R20 on the back and 255/35R20 on the front?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Most tread pattern is cosmetic, FYI. If you don't drive it in the winter, there's no reason to get an AS tire. There are many summer tires that match or exceed the rain performance of most A/S tires. The one I linked above (Indy 500) is one, as are the Michelin PS4S. If you're going AS, I'd get the Continental DWS 06, Michelin AS3+ or BFG Comp 2 AS.

OP
OP

Jus4Kix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most tread pattern is cosmetic, FYI. If you don't drive it in the winter, there's no reason to get an AS tire. There are many summer tires that match or exceed the rain performance of most A/S tires. The one I linked above (Indy 500) is one, as are the Michelin PS4S. If you're going AS, I'd get the Continental DWS 06, Michelin AS3+ or BFG Comp 2 AS.
One reason to get an AS tire is that summer tires turn to stone as the temperature approaches freezing. I don't drive it in the winter, but sub-freezing temperatures are common in september, October, November, April, May, and this year even June, especially in the mornings. Also, A/S tires tend to last longer than summer tires. The Firehawk Indy, for example, has a treadwear rating of 340, while the tires I'm considering have a rating of 560. The Indy is a nice tire, for sure (my brother just put a set on his V6 S197) but I'm more interested in durability and "shoulder season" performance. Price is also a consideration. The Indy is almost $1300 CDN for a set of four. Those Nexen tires I mentioned above are a shade under $840. They're much cheaper and should last longer. Sounds like a win-win to me.

True summer weather, where we can be relatively confident that there won't be frost, is such a short window here (July and the first half of August) that summer tires aren't really worthwhile unless you're driving your car at the limits, something I rarely, if ever, do.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Only extreme performance summers are consistently susceptible to cracking in low temps. Very few max or ultra high performance summers do that.

It's up to you obviously but tires are one of the few things people should skimp on. It's the only thing that connects you to the road. No point in putting junk or economy-only tires on a performance car like this. There are many good A/S options, though.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There isn't many A/S tires with a speed rating of 186+. At least what's listed on tirerack. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is one exception. Is there a reason for that ?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There isn't many A/S tires with a speed rating of 186+. At least what's listed on tirerack. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is one exception. Is there a reason for that ?
Demand mostly. Also AS tires are typically used in more comfort/economy applications that need not require the reinforcement necessary to deal with those speeds. A W speed rated tire is honestly fine unless you're doing half mile events.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Only extreme performance summers are consistently susceptible to cracking in low temps. Very few max or ultra high performance summers do that.

It's up to you obviously but tires are one of the few things people should skimp on. It's the only thing that connects you to the road. No point in putting junk or economy-only tires on a performance car like this. There are many good A/S options, though.
topic in the challenger forum, with a posting on the Pirelli P Zero,

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...-if-you-drive-cold-weather-290362/index2.html

and

https://shop.pirelli.com/us_en/tire-warranty

4. UHP Summer Tires

Rubber compounds formulated for ultra high performance summer tires can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at cold temperatures. Therefore extra care should be used in handling tires in this condition. These compounds are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm conditions. Special tread compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F or when driving on snow or ice. Therefore, it is recommended to install winter tires in these conditions.

OP
OP

Jus4Kix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe that my Mustang is electronically limited to 155 (it is bog stock, including, at the moment, the air in the tires), so 186 is moot. The tires I'm considering are W rated to 168 and seems to get fairly good ratings both in instrumented testing and customer reviews.

I'd love to be able to blow $2000+ on a set of supercar tires, but reality is that I can only afford mid-range tires at the moment. I don't know if American readers realize this, but tires are much, much more expensive here in Canada. Even buying from Discount Tire Direct is very expensive by the time exchange, duties & taxes, and shipping are all added in. Also, my husband just finished nursing school and will need to replace his car very soon. I'm coming into a bit of extra money (hopefully tomorrow) and have to buy what I can afford to buy. Obviously I'm not going to go with Chinese no-name $75 apiece tires, but $500 apiece Pilot Super Sports just aren't on the menu. That's actually why I posted this thread to begin with - tires in the proper 265/35R20 size are absolutely ridiculously priced.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Firestone Indy 500 sounds like a good option for you.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT